KDnuggets™ News 15:n05, Feb 11: Annual Salary Poll; 10 things statistics teaches about Big Data; Data Science Jargon
KDnuggets Annual Analytics/Data Science salary poll; 10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; Data Science's Most Used, Confused, and Abused Jargon; Top 30 people in Big Data and Analytics; and more news, software, opinions, interviews, webcasts, courses, jobs, academic, publications, top tweets, and CFP.
Features | Software | Opinions | Interviews | News | Webcasts | Courses | Jobs | Academic | Publications | Tweets | CFP | Quote
- KDnuggets Annual Poll: Analytics/Data Science/Data Mining income/salary, role, and employment - Feb 11, 2015.
Please vote in KDnuggets annual poll on analytics / data science / data mining field income/salary vs analytic role and employment. We will analyze and publish the results.
- 10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis - Feb 10, 2015.
There are 10 ideas in applied statistics are relevant for big data analysis, focusing on prediction accuracy, interactive analysis and more.
- Data Science's Most Used, Confused, and Abused Jargon - Feb 10, 2015.
As data science has spread through the mainstream, so too has a dense vocabulary of ill-defined jargon. In a split-personality post, we offer several perspectives on many of data science's most confused terms.
- Top 30 people in Big Data and Analytics - Feb 9, 2015.
Innovation Enterprise has compiled a top 30 list for individuals in big data that have had a large impact on the development or popularity of the industry.
- PAW: How Predictive Analytics Reinvents These Six Industries - Feb 10, 2015.
Predictive analytics is a game-changer - it's like "Moneyball" for... money. This article summarizes and links resources with late-breaking coverage of how predictive analytics reinvents six industries.
Software (see also All Software )
- Facebook Open Sources deep-learning modules for Torch - Feb 9, 2015.
We review Facebook recently released Torch module for Deep Learning, which helps researchers train large scale convolutional neural networks for image recognition, natural language processing and other AI applications.
- How Big Data Pieces, Technology, and Animals fit together - Feb 5, 2015.
How Big Data Pieces and animals fit together: MapReduce, HDFS, Apache Spark,, Pregel, Zookeeper, Flume, Hive, Pig, and more, explained by a Quora (and past Facebook) Data Scientist.
Opinions (see also All Opinions for this month )
- Analyzing Analysts to Build Better Analysis Software - Feb 10, 2015.
Our study how analysts used Mode led to major updates designed to fit how data analysts and business analysts actually use data - there's no one-size-fits-all tool and analysis doesn't end with the analyst.
- Two Most Important Trends in Analytics and Big Data in 2015 - Feb 6, 2015.
In 2015, two most important trends in Analytics and Big Data are in developing countries and big data security.
- How Many Quants are Changing Jobs? - Feb 6, 2015.
Being a quantitative recruiter, I have had a unique perspective on the current climate and how often are Quants changing jobs? What does this mean if you're a Quant? What does this mean if you're trying to hire a Quant?
- The Post-Hadoop World: New Kid On The Block Technologies - Feb 5, 2015.
Big Data technology has evolved rapidly, and although Hadoop and Hive are still its core components, a new breed of technologies has emerged and is changing how we work with data, enabling more fluid ways to process, store, and manage it.
- Analytics Outsourcing to India: Should or Shouldn't? - Feb 5, 2015.
Outsourcing analytics talent to India will continue to grow as a trend as evidenced by the increasing number of Fortune 500 companies participating in the practice.
Interviews (see also All Interviews for this month )
- Interview: Phani Nagarjuna, Nuevora on Right Data and Business Analytics Roadmap - Feb 10, 2015.
We discuss the journey of Business Analytics, definition of Right Data, competitive differentiation of Nuevora, challenges in the large-scale consumerization of analytics, and more.
- Interview: Phani Nagarjuna, Nuevora on CMO Expectations from Analytics - Feb 9, 2015.
We discuss the value proposition of Nuevora, founding story, CMO expectations from Analytics and the Nuevora nBAAP platform.
- Interview: Jason Bloomberg, Intellyx on the Tricky Balance of Optimization and Innovation - Feb 6, 2015.
We discuss Agile Digital Transformation, Optimization vs Innovation trade-off, best innovations of 2014, trends, advice and more.
- Interview: Rachel Hawley, SAS on Why Data Science Needs Communication Skills - Feb 4, 2015.
We discuss SAS Analytics Center of Excellence, trends, advice, desired skills in data science and more.
News (see also All News )
- Top Analytics and Big Data Trends ahead of Strata Hadoop World San Jose - Feb 11, 2015.
Top 2015 Analytics and Big Data trends from our readers were Apache Spark, Deep Learning, Real-Time technology, Internet of Things (IoT).
- Top stories for Feb 1-7: Avoiding a Common Mistake with Time Series; Top Big Data Influencers and Brands - Feb 8, 2015.
Avoiding a Common Mistake with Time Series; (Deep Learning Deep Flaws) Deep Flaws; Top Big Data Influencers and Brands; Two Most Important Trends in Analytics and Big Data.
- Top stories in January: (Deep Learning Deep Flaws) Deep Flaws; Research Leaders on key trends, papers - Feb 6, 2015.
Research Leaders on Data Science and Big Data key trends, papers; (Deep Learning Deep Flaws) Deep Flaws; Analytics: Five Rules to Cut Through the Hype; 11 Clever Methods of Overfitting and how to avoid them.
- Top /r/MachineLearning posts, Feb 1-7: Music recognition, Text Understanding from scratch - Feb 9, 2015.
Shazam music recognition techniques, deep learning for text understanding, neuroscience history, Neural Turing Machines using Torch, and genetic algorithms are the top topics on Reddit last week.
- Top /r/MachineLearning posts, Jan 25-31 - Feb 6, 2015.
Downsides to jobs in machine learning fields, AI learning materials, novel topic modelling techniques and weekly simple question threads are all topics of discussion this week on Reddit /r/MachineLearning.
Webcasts and Webinars (see also All Webcasts and Webinars )
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science - Feb 10 and beyond - Feb 9, 2015.
Data Mining: Failure to Launch, 3 Ways to Improve your Regression, The Pragmatic Text Miner, Make It Big As a Data Scientist in 2015, Managing Big Data in Production and more.
Courses (see also All Courses )
- Expert Training within Reach - Feb 10, 2015.
SAS has partnered with some of the world's most respected analytical thought leaders to offer you the best in analytics training.
- Info Kit: Statistics, Predictive Modeling, Data Mining with JMP - Feb 10, 2015.
Find out how to challenge assumptions, spot patterns and reveal potential solutions to problems that otherwise would not be visible. Register for this complimentary info kit.
- TMA Predictive Analytics Data Mining Training [Orlando, Mar | Las Vegas, Apr] - Feb 10, 2015.
Successful analytics in the big data era does not start with data and software, but with hands-on, immersive training and goal-driven strategy - get it from The Modeling Agency in Orlando (Mar), Las Vegas (Apr), or Washington DC (May).
- Stanford Online Courses: Use data to solve biological, medical problems - Feb 10, 2015.
Stay at the cutting-edge and take courses online from Stanford that will teach you techniques used in new applications in biomedicine. Enrollment for spring open till Mar 20.
- Get practical training at PASS Business Analytics Conference, Santa Clara, April 20-22 - Feb 7, 2015.
Get practical training on Predictive Analytics, R, Data Visualization, Big Data, Excel, Power BI, and more at the PASS Business Analytics Conference, Santa Clara, April 20-22. Get $150 off with KDnuggets discount.
Jobs (see also All Jobs )
- PredictionIO: Machine Learning Evangelist - Feb 4, 2015.
Are you passionate about machine learning and open source? Do you have the ability to engage other developers and data scientists? If yes, read on ...
Academic and Research positions (see also All Academic positions )
- University of the Pacific: Director, Analytics Program - Feb 5, 2015.
Responsible for overseeing the launch and operations of the M.S. in Analytics program (housed on Pacific's San Francisco campus).
- Women in Data: Top Practitioners on Critical Skills, Background, and Education - Feb 7, 2015.
Cornelia Levy-Bencheton interviewed 15 women in data to learn how they achieved their current level of success, what motivated them to get there, and their views about opportunities for women.
Top Tweets (see also All top tweets for this month )
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 02-08 - Feb 9, 2015.
Very useful: 10 things statistics teaches about #BigData analysis;
Where's Waldo ruined by a PhD student and #MachineLearning;
Great Tutorial: Getting Started with Apache Spark and Python;
Clarifai Machine Learning software can understand what is in your videos.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 4-5 - Feb 6, 2015.
Clarifai #MachineLearning software can understand what is in your videos;
#BigData Lessons From @Netflix: comparing House of Cards and Macbeth insights;
2014 was the biggest year for #AI startups;
Top Data Scientist @DPatil joined the #WhiteHouse as a data scientist-in-residence.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 2-3 - Feb 4, 2015.
Avoiding a Common Mistake with Time Series: use de-trending;
A New Year in #DataScience, great overview of the #MachineLearning and #BigData;
Data scientist memes - the 'hottest profession';
Top Big Data Influencers and Brands.
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All Calls for Papers )
- Due Feb 18, DATASETS 2015, The Int. Symposium on Challenges for Designing and Using Datasets , Brussels, Belgium. Jun 21-26, 2015.
- Due Feb 18, IMMM 2015, The Fifth Int. Conf. on Advances in Information Mining and Management , Brussels, Belgium. Jun 21-26, 2015.
- Due Mar 2, Int. Workshop on Data Analytics for Evidence-based Healthcare (DAEBH'15) at the 19th Pacific-Asia Conf. on knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD 2015) , Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam. May 19 2015.
- Due Mar 6, 9th European Conf. on Data Mining 2015 , Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain. 22-24 Jul 2015
- Due Mar 13, CIKM 2015, The 24th ACM Int. Conf. on Information and Knowledge Management , Melbourne, Australia. 19-23 Oct 2015.
- Due Mar 20, KDD 2015 Tutorial Proposals , Sydney, Australia. Aug 10-13, 2015
- Due Apr 11, TIR'15 - 12th Int. Workshop on Text-Based Information Retrieval , at DEXA 2015, 26th International Conference on Database and Expert Systems Applications, Valencia, Spain. Sep 1-4, 2015
- Due Apr 17, The IEEE/ACM Int. Conf. on Advances in Social Network Analysis and Mining (ASONAM) , Paris, France. Aug 25-28, 2015
Quote"Deep learning is a radical new technology, harnessing the power of the mind to endow machines with human-like intelligence, spawning a generation of humanoid robots equipped to think, feel, absorb the totality of human knowledge and colonize Alpha Centauri.", from Data Science Most Used, Confused, and Abused Jargon
Top Stories Past 30 Days