KDnuggets™ News 15:n07, Mar 4: Analytics/Data Science Salaries; Machine Learning Flaws; Strata Highlights
Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science salary survey by region and role; Strata + Hadoop World 2015 San Jose - Highlights; All Machine Learning Models Have Flaws; Interview: Ted Dunning, MapR on The Real Meaning of Real-Time in Big Data, and more.
Features | Opinions | Interviews | Reports | News | Webcasts | Courses | Meetings | Jobs | Academic | Tweets | CFP | Quote
- Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science professionals well compensated - Mar 3, 2015.
US, Canada, and Australian analytics professionals are paid the most, with US/Canada Industry Data Science Managers earning on average $177K, Industry Data Scientists $126K, Academic Researchers $119K, and Data Analysts $86K.
- All Machine Learning Models Have Flaws - Mar 3, 2015.
This classic post examines what is right and wrong with different models of machine learning, including Bayesian learning, Graphical Models, Convex Loss Optimization, Statistical Learning, and more.
- Strata + Hadoop World 2015 San Jose - Day 1 Highlights - Mar 2, 2015.
Here are the quick takeaways and valuable insights from selected talks at one of the most reputed conferences in Big Data - Strata + Hadoop World 2015, San Jose.
- IBM Big Data & Analytics Heroes - Feb 26, 2015.
IBM's Big Data & Analytics Heroes include leaders in the field that propel the industry in order to promote thought leadership and progress in Big Data Analytics.
- Interview: Ted Dunning, MapR on The Real Meaning of Real-Time in Big Data - Mar 2, 2015.
We discuss major Big Data developments in 2014, real-time processing, interactive queries, streaming systems, batch systems, MapR partnerships and challenges in scaling recommendation engines.
- The Internet of People: 4 key principles for analyzing personal data - Feb 27, 2015.
The "Internet of People" raises a host of legal and ethical questions about the ownership and use of our personal data. We all have a stake in joining and navigating this increasingly stormy debate. Here are 4 key principles.
- RE.WORK Deep Learning Summit, San Francisco, January - videos, presentations - Feb 26, 2015.
Interesting videos and presentations from January Deep Learning Summit include a Fireside Chat with Andrew Ng and Derrick Harris, presentations by Richard Socher (Founder, MetaMind), Quoc Le (Research Scientist, Google), Greg Corrado (Sr Research Scientist at Google), and more.
Opinions (see also All Opinions for this month )
- Beagli: Finding value in your personal data - Feb 25, 2015.
Personal analytics products can help users extract value from their data. This post describes our development of Beagli, a platform for mining and auctioning personal data.
Interviews (see also All Interviews for this month )
- Interview: Ted Dunning, MapR on Apache Mahout & Technology Landscape in ML - Mar 3, 2015.
We discuss Apache Mahout, its comparison with Spark and H2O, trends, advice, desired qualities in data scientists and more.
- Interview: Nicholas Marko, Geisinger on the Skills Needed for Healthcare Analytics - Feb 27, 2015.
We discuss challenges of dealing with healthcare data, trends in healthcare analytics, important skills for data scientists and more.
- Interview: Nicholas Marko, Geisinger on Building the Analytics Culture for Healthcare - Feb 26, 2015.
We discuss how to establish credibility of data analytics, recommendations for a data-driven culture, analytics challenges in healthcare and more.
- Interview: Nicholas Marko, Geisinger on the Groundwork for Big Data Success - Feb 25, 2015.
We discuss Big Data & Analytics at Geisinger Health System, CDO challenges, and impact of Big Data on decision making at executive level.
Reports (see also All Reports for this month )
- Strata + Hadoop World 2015 San Jose - report and highlights - Feb 27, 2015.
Highlights of Strata + Hadoop World San Jose, including Apache Spark vs Storm vs Samza for streaming data, Kafka as a universal message bus, what Netflix puts in front of HDFS, Parquet as a basis for ETL and analytics, DJ Patil, Internet of Things, and more.
News (see also All News )
- Top stories for Feb 22-28: Gartner 2015 MQ for Advanced Analytics: gainers and losers; History of Data Science Infographic - Mar 1, 2015.
Gartner 2015 Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics Platforms: who gained and who lost; History of Data Science Infographic in 5 strands; Interview: David Kasik, Boeing on Data Analysis vs Data Analytics.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in February - Mar 1, 2015.
Big Data Paris, Wharton Conf: Successful Applications of Customer Analytics, analytics consulting firms, Georgetown MS in Analytics, MSc in Data Science in France, and more meetings, companies, education, and solutions.
- IEEE ICDM 2015 Call for Data Mining Contest/Competition Proposals, due Mar 29 - Feb 28, 2015.
We invite proposals for the ICDM 2015 Data Mining Contest, which is an integral part of the IEEE ICDM conference and provides an opportunity for teams of scientists and domain experts to compete in order to develop data mining techniques for real-world applications.
Webcasts and Webinars (see also All Webcasts and Webinars )
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science - Mar 3 and beyond - Mar 2, 2015.
Data Wrangling and the Art of Big Data Discovery, Hadoop - A Solution for Big Data, Fast Data Meets Open Source, Real-Time Data on Hadoop with Apache Kafka, and more.
Courses (see also All Courses )
- Simplilearn Big Data, Analytics Online Certification Courses - 50% off for a limited time - Feb 26, 2015.
Get 50% off Simplilearn Big Data & Analytics Online Certification Courses, including a new course - Big Data and Hadoop Administrator. Get a new iPhone5 with Classroom Enrollment - see details.
Meetings (see also All Meetings )
- Chief Data Officer Summit, San Jose, Apr 28-29, 2015 - Mar 3, 2015.
CDO is vital in bridging the gap between the C-suite and the data team. The Chief Data Officer Summit in San Jose on April 28-29 will bring together top data leaders to discuss the growing responsibilities of the CDO. Special KDnuggets discount.
- Brandeis Analytics Symposium, Apr 8: Industry Insights into Data and Intelligence - Feb 27, 2015.
The Apr 8 Brandeis Analytics symposium will focus on promoting a discussion of the growing field of analytics and how organizations can leverage big data to make more strategic decisions.
Jobs (see also All Jobs )
- HomeUnion: Sr. Data Scientist - Mar 3, 2015.
Be fearless: include heuristics into a solution; be skeptic: self-scrutinize, able to pivot quickly; be creative: experiment with modeling techniques, invent and test features.
- Apple: Data Science Engineer - Feb 26, 2015.
Apple Data Science Engineering is building an environment to enable cutting-edge data analysis over Petabytes of data, supporting Apple Analytic Insight team responsible for mitigating fraud, waste and abuse.
- Cardinal Financial: Production Support Analyst (Marketing) - Feb 26, 2015.
Work closely with management team to drive marketing efforts and overcome marketing obstacles. Monitor and adjust volumes, criteria, and flow to production teams.
- Cardinal Financial: Data Science Analyst - Feb 26, 2015.
Apply your expertise in quantitative business analysis, data mining and visualization to see beyond the numbers, develop a deep understanding of the business, translate data into actionable insights.
- PredictionIO: Machine Learning Engineer (Evangelist) - Feb 26, 2015.
Are you passionate about machine learning and open source? Do you have the ability to engage other developers and data scientists? If yes, read on ...
- HomeUnion: Big Data Technical Project Manager - Feb 25, 2015.
Big Data TPM plays a key role in delivering all Big Data related product releases, and is familiar with Big Data technologies and Agile methodologies.
- Amazon: Research Scientist (Risk Modeling) - Feb 25, 2015.
Do you like to innovate and simplify? Join an innovative team of scientists who use machine learning and statistical techniques to keep Amazon the safest and most trusted place to shop online.
Academic and Research positions (see also All Academic positions )
- TU/e: Full Professor in Data Mining - Feb 26, 2015.
You have the opportunity to set up your own research group, complementary to 2 existing groups - one focusing on business process management and process mining, and another focusing on web engineering, data mining, and databases.
Top Tweets (see also All top tweets for this month )
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 26 - Mar 1 - Mar 2, 2015.
Cute and Educational: Bayes Theorem explained with Lego;
10 Cool #BigData Cartoons #TGIF;
#DataMining Indian Recipes finds spices make negative food pairing more powerful;
Key Take-Aways from Gartner 2015 MQ for #BI &
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 23-25 - Feb 26, 2015.
Microsoft is building fast, low-power Deep Learning networks;
5 lucrative tech careers in 2015: Data Scientist ($150K), Data Engineer ($148K);
Which SQL on Hadoop? Gartner Poll Still Says "Whatever" But DBMS Providers Gain;
10 Most-Funded #BigData #Startups;
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All Calls for Papers )
- Due Mar 13, CIKM 2015 Tutorials proposals: The 24th ACM Int. Conf. on Information and Knowledge Management , Melbourne, Australia. 19-23 Oct 2015
- Due Mar 26, ECMLPKDD 2015 Industry, Government, NGO Track: The European Conf. on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases , Porto, Portugal. Sep 7-11, 2015
- Due Mar 26, ECMLPKDD 2015 Research Papers: The European Conf. on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases , Porto, Portugal. Sep 7-11, 2015
- Due Apr 25, IEEE Big Data 2015 Call for Workshop Proposals , Santa Clara, CA, USA. Oct 29 - Nov 1, 2015
- Due Jul 13, IEEE ICDM 2015 Call For Demos , Atlantic City, NJ, USA. Nov 14-17, 2015
Quote"Autodidacts – the self-taught, uncredentialed, data-passionate people – will come to play a significant role in many organizations’ data science initiatives." Neil Raden, CEO & Principal Analyst, Hired Brains Research
|Top Stories Past 30 Days|