KDnuggets™ News 15:n10, Apr 1: Computing platforms for data science; Free Data Mining Books; Python vs R
Computing Platforms for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science; More Free Data Mining, Data Science Books and Resources; Text Analytics 2015 - Technology and Market Overview; The Grammar of Data Science: Python vs R.
Features | Opinions | Interviews | News | Webcasts | Jobs | Tweets | CFP | Quote
- Computing Platforms for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science - Apr 1, 2015.
The results of KDnuggets Poll suggest a split between a majority of data miners and data scientists who work with "PC-size" data, and a smaller group of Big Data analysts who work with cloud-sized data. Cloud computing, and Unix and especially Mac gained in popularity.
- More Free Data Mining, Data Science Books and Resources - Mar 25, 2015.
More free resources and online books by leading authors about data mining, data science, machine learning, predictive analytics and statistics.
- Text Analytics 2015 - Technology and Market Overview - Mar 30, 2015.
A leading analyst and expert on text analytics gives an overview of the past year and looks ahead on text analytics technology and market developments.
- The Grammar of Data Science: Python vs R - Mar 28, 2015.
In this post, I will elaborate on my experience switching teams by comparing and contrasting R and Python solutions to some simple data exploration exercises.
Opinions (see also All Opinions for this month )
- How Big Data Can Improve the Lives of the Poor - Mar 31, 2015.
The role of Big Data in allowing greater financial inclusion for the poor also is a trending Internet topic. But it's mostly creating optimism and interest, rather than controversy and dissent.
- Data Science as a profession - time is now - Mar 30, 2015.
Now is the time to begin thinking of Data Science as a profession not a job, as a corporate culture not a corporate agenda, as a strategy not a stratagem, as a core competency not a course, and as a way of doing things not a thing to do.
- PredictionIO (Open Source Version) vs Microsoft Azure Machine Learning - Mar 26, 2015.
Azure Machine Learning and PredictionIO are tools that both have similar visions and similar features, but when digging deeper you'll notice key differences and key advantages to each.
- Talking Machine - 3 Deep Learning Gurus Talk about History and Future, part 2 - Mar 26, 2015.
Key ideas from a podcast with Deep Learning gurus Geoff Hinton, Yoshua Bengio, and Yann LeCun, where they explain the power of distributed representation and also propose a new open paper review process.
- Talking Machine - 3 Deep Learning Gurus Talk about History and Future of Machine Learning, part 1 - Mar 25, 2015.
An recent interview from the talking machine podcast with three deep learning experts. They talked about the neural network winter and its renewal.
Interviews (see also All Interviews for this month )
- Interview: Satyam Priyadarshy, Halliburton on Unlocking Success for Big Data Projects - Mar 31, 2015.
We discuss Predictive Analytics in Oil & Gas industry, Big Data analytics, key drivers of success,common reasons of failure, trends, advice, and more.
- Interview: Satyam Priyadarshy, Halliburton on Big Data Challenges in Oil & Gas Industry - Mar 30, 2015.
We discuss Analytics at Halliburton, Big Data challenges unique to Oil & Gas industry, and the 7 V's of Big Data.
- Interview: Bill Moreau, USOC on the Pursuit of a Career in Sports Analytics - Mar 28, 2015.
We discuss challenges in applying Data Analytics to sports, advice to beginners in the field of Sports Analytics, and more.
- Interview: Bill Moreau, USOC on Evidence-based Medicine to Reduce Sports Injuries - Mar 27, 2015.
We discuss the success of Analytics in predicting sports injuries, recent progress in concussion management and the trends in data-driven evidence-based sports medicine.
- Interview: Bill Moreau, USOC on Empowering World's Best Athletes through Analytics - Mar 26, 2015.
We discuss how United States Olympic Committee uses Big Data, how athletes respond to Analytical insights, integration of sports medicine into sports performance and sports injury.
News (see also All News )
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Mar 22-28: Deep Learning flaws & Security, DeepMind Publications, and Keras - Mar 30, 2015.
Computer Vision security issues, DeepMind, statistics with Python, hacking on neural networks, and Keras, a neural network library are all topics on top of /r/MachineLearning this week.
- Top stories for Mar 22-28: More Free Data Mining, Data Science Books; PredictionIO vs Microsoft Azure Machine Learning - Mar 29, 2015.
More Free Data Mining, Data Science Books and Resources; PredictionIO (Open Source Version) vs Microsoft Azure Machine Learning; Do We Need More Training Data or More Complex Models? Data science done well looks easy, which is a big problem.
- Database Pioneer Michael Stonebraker Wins ACM Turing Award, Computing "Nobel Prize" - Mar 25, 2015.
Michael Stonebraker, a database pioneer and a serial entrepreneur, won the 2014 ACM Turing Award (which carries $1 million prize) for fundamental contributions to the concepts and practices in modern database systems.
Webcasts and Webinars (see also All Webcasts and Webinars )
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science - Mar 31 and beyond - Mar 30, 2015.
Predictive Analytics for the Mainstream, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, Great Data Lakes, Disrupting Traditional Analyst Workflows, Tamr and Tableau, and more.
Jobs (see also All Jobs )
- Arrowstreet Capital: Research Associate/Data Analyst - Mar 31, 2015.
Support our research team investment ideas, help code ideas into signals, test, and producing return and risk forecasts to drive trading decisions.
- Sonic Automotive: Operations Research/Predictive Modeling Specialist - Mar 31, 2015.
Monitoring, maintenance, and building of new predictive models, including new and used vehicle pricing, inventory, and appraisals.
Top Tweets (see also All top tweets for this month )
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 26-29 - Mar 30, 2015.
The Basic Recipe for Machine Learning in one slide;
The Grammar of Data Science - comparing Python and R;
Uber Data Science team reveals why taxis may never be able to compete;
Comparing @PredictionIO (Open Source Version) vs Microsoft Azure Machine Learning.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 23-25 - Mar 26, 2015.
24 free resources and online books on #DataMining, #DataScience, #MachineLearning;
New R Online Tool for Seasonal Adjustment of time series;
Key #DataScience question: More Training Data or More Complex Models?;
Twitter #DataMining finds origins of ISIS support.
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All Calls for Papers )
- Due Apr 7, WIMS 2015: 5th Int. Conf. on Web Intelligence, Mining and Semantics , Limassol, Cyprus. Jul 13-15, 2015.
- Due Apr 15, IEEE/WIC/ACM Int. Conf. on Web Intelligence 2015 (WI'15), BIG Data in Global Brain and Social Networks , Singapore. Dec 6-9, 2015
- Due Apr 17, ASONAM2015: IEEE/ACM Int. Conf. on Advances in Social Network Analysis and Mining , Paris, France. Aug 25-28, 2015
- Due Apr 25, Workshop Proposals, 2015 IEEE Int. Conf. on Big Data (IEEE Big Data 2015) , Santa Clara, CA, USA. Oct 29 - Nov 1, 2015
- Due Apr 27, IJCAI 2015 workshop on Advances in Bioinformatics and Artificial Intelligence: Bridging the Gap , Buenos Aires, Argentina. Jul 27, 2015
- Due Apr 28, Workshop on Machine Learning Open Source Software 2015: Open Ecosystems , at ICML 2015, Lille, France. 10 July 2015
- Due Apr 30, 5th Global TechMining Conf. , Atlanta, GA. Sep 16, 2015.