KDnuggets™ News 15:n14, May 6: Data Scientists Unemployed by 2025? Most Active LinkedIn Groups
Data Scientists Automated and Unemployed by 2025? Most Active LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining; How To Become a Data Scientist And Get Hired; Strata + Hadoop World 2015, London, Watch Live May 6-7.
Features | Software | Opinions | Interviews | News | Webcasts | Courses | Meetings | Jobs | Publications | Tweets | CFP | Quote
- Data Scientists Automated and Unemployed by 2025? - May 5, 2015.
Will Data Scientists be unemployed by 2025? Majority of voters in latest KDnuggets Poll expect expert-level Data Science to be automated in 10 years or less.
- Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Discussions up, Engagement down - May 4, 2015.
While discussions are growing, the comments and engagements are falling, especially since 2012. We cluster groups into 4 quadrants by activity level and identify most active and engaged groups. Open groups are twice as active as closed.
- How To Become a Data Scientist And Get Hired - May 1, 2015.
A data scientist should be able to choose the right technology, understand the business context and solve a wide range of problems. To hire the the right data scientist, check the tips list in the post.
- Strata + Hadoop World 2015, London, Watch Live, starting May 6 - May 4, 2015.
As Strata media partner, KDnuggets brings to you this opportunity to watch keynotes from Strata + Hadoop London live, May 6-7.
- Basketball Predictive Analytics: Will he take the shot? - May 5, 2015.
Sports analytics has reached a new level - now researchers can predict whether and from where a basketball player will take shot, Check a fun online app that lets you play with predictions.
- Data Scientists Thoughts that Inspire - Apr 29, 2015.
Inspirational thoughts from leading data scientists, including Yann LeCun, Erin Shellman, Daniel Tunkelang, Claudia Perlich, and Jake Porway. What inspires you?
Software (see also All Software )
- Try JMP® free for 30 days - May 4, 2015.
JMP software from SAS gives you dynamic data visualization and analytics on the desktop - speed the learning cycle and make it easier to reach breakthrough discoveries.
- Data Mining Process/Workflow Reproducibility and KNIME - May 1, 2015.
What happens with analytics and data mining workflows when different components change? KNIME approach of keeping the old versions as part of the platform guarantees reproducibility.
- WebDataCommons - the Data and Framework for Web-scale Mining - May 1, 2015.
The WebDataCommons project extracts the largest publicly available hyperlink graph, large product-, address-, recipe-, and review corpora, as well as millions of HTML tables from the Common Crawl web corpus and provides the extracted data for public download.
Opinions (see also All Opinions for this month )
- The Inconvenient Truth About Data Science - May 5, 2015.
Data is never clean, you will spend most of your time cleaning and preparing data, 95% of tasks do not require deep learning, and more inconvenient wisdom.
- Guiding Principles to Build a Demand Forecast - May 4, 2015.
Demand forecasting is key for many industries, including finance, healthcare, and retails, and it is one of the most challenging tasks for predictive analytics. We review challenges and guiding principles of demand forecasting.
- Talking Machine - Deep Learning in Speech Recognition - May 2, 2015.
A summary about an episode on the talking machine about deep neural networks in speech recognition given by George Dahl, who is one of Geoffrey Hinton's students and just defended his Ph.D last month.
- How Data Science makes Better Products - May 1, 2015.
This video defines adaptive software, shows how data science realizes these applications, and discusses how these new tools are addressing real world challenges across all industries.
Interviews (see also All Interviews for this month )
- Interview: Haile Owusu, Mashable on Surviving Imprecision in Digital Media Analytics - May 1, 2015.
We discuss the challenges in tracking social media sharing, advice, important trends, and more.
- Interview: Haile Owusu, Mashable on Riding the Wave of Viral Content - Apr 29, 2015.
We discuss Mashable's milestones, data-driven digital publishing, digital media tracking, viral prediction, and Mashable Velocity.
News (see also All News )
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in April - May 3, 2015.
20+ new meetings, including Smartcon (Istabul), Collab. Data Science, Boston Data Festival, SIGMOD 2016, ICDM 2016; Awesome public datasets; DecisionIQ, VisualText and more.
- Top stories for Apr 26 - May 2: The Myth of Model Interpretability; How To Become a Data Scientist and Get Hired - May 3, 2015.
The Myth of Model Interpretability; How To Become a Data Scientist And Get Hired; Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining; Emmanuel Letouze, Data-Pop Alliance on Big Data for Development and Future Prospects.
- DrivenData Competition: Keeping Boston Fresh - May 1, 2015.
DrivenData civic innovation competition, "Keeping it Fresh," aims to help cities capitalize on their data. The task is to predict Boston restaurant violations from social media.
Webcasts and Webinars (see also All Webcasts and Webinars )
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science - May 5 and beyond - May 4, 2015.
Making Sense of Hadoop, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, Demystify your Data Flows, 5 Lessons from a Decision Management Guru, 3 Ways to Improve Regression, and more.
Courses (see also All Courses )
- NYC Data Science Academy 12 weeks Bootcamp, Apply by May 15 - May 3, 2015.
Upcoming NYC Data Science Academy education includes a 12-week bootcamp, classes on Intro to Data Science, and Data Analysis with R and with Python, meetups, and job placement assistance.
Meetings (see also All Meetings )
- Has your data become overwhelming? Attend PAW Chicago - May 5, 2015.
Has your data become overwhelming? Let Predictive Analytics World Help! Attend our Chicago event(s) to develop the skills and strategies to use your data effectively. KDnuggets discount.
- 80 upcoming May - November 2015 Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science - May 4, 2015.
Coming soon: Big Data Innovation London, Business Analytics Chicago, Smartcon Istanbul, Open Data Science Boston, PAW Chicago, ICML Lille, Sentiment Analysis NYC, and many more.
- NoSQL matters, great fun and tech nerdity, Dublin, June 4 - May 4, 2015.
NoSQL matters provides a opportunity to network with leading NoSQL experts from all around the world. Also, enter a raffle for a KDnuggets free ticket.
Jobs (see also All Jobs )
- Quantcast: Senior Software Engineer - Machine Learning, Performance Targeting & Optimization - May 5, 2015.
Help build and operate realtime prediction and control systems that power all our advertising products at scale.
- Quantcast: Modeling Scientist, Brand and Inventory Quality - May 5, 2015.
Focus on creatively tackling most complex quantitative modeling problems and advancing the company core statistical inference and algorithmic technology for audience targeting.
- Hillary for America: Data Scientist, Modeling Analyst, and Survey Methodologist - May 4, 2015.
Join Hillary for America and play a pivotal role in developing data-driven strategies for key primary and battleground states for 2016 US Presidential election.
- ACI Worldwide: Data Scientist - May 3, 2015.
Develop predictive models for clients in the finance, retail and telecommunications industries, and takes responsibility for the final outcome/results of the deliverables.
- Criteo: Senior Data Scientist - Machine Learning - Apr 30, 2015.
Outstanding machine learning research scientists to contribute to Criteo in driving the future of ad targeting, personalization, content extraction, content matching and other prediction problems.
- Damballa: Research Scientist - Apr 29, 2015.
Using applied scientific research and leveraging data collected from sensors monitoring millions of hosts, we discover new and innovative ways to stay ahead of cyber crime activity.
- Download IKANOW's "Beyond the Kill Chain" eBook - Apr 30, 2015.
A complete security platform, powered by business intelligence, lets CISOs go beyond the kill chain, and manage risks, not just react to intrusions - download free ebook.
- Closer Look: Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery Journal - Apr 29, 2015.
Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery Journal has a new EIC, has high impact factor, and allows researchers to publish open access.
Top Tweets (see also All top tweets for this month )
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 27 - May 3 - May 4, 2015.
DataScience from Scratch: First Principles with Python;
Attack of the #BigData Startups - @cbinsights maps the industries;
Not accurate, but #fun ! See how old Microsoft thinks you are;
US Chief Data Scientist @dpatil on #DataScience #BigData past and future.
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All Calls for Papers )
- Due Jul 20, BioDM2015: The Sixth Workshop on Biological Data Mining and its Applications in Healthcare , at IEEE ICDM 2015, Atlantic City, NJ, USA. Nov 13, 2015
- Due Aug 30, SCDM 2015: 3rd Scalable Cloud Data Management Workshop , at IEEE BigData 2015 Conf., Santa Clara, CA, USA. 29-30 Oct 2015, 2015.
QuoteThe only way to make intelligent machines was to get into learning, because every animal is capable of learning. Anything with a brain basically learns. Yann LeCun, Data Scientists Thoughts that Inspire
Top Stories Past 30 Days