2016 Jan News, Features
All (120) | Courses, Education (11) | Meetings (12) | News, Features (27) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (35) | Publications (10) | Software (5) | Top Tweets (3) | Tutorials, Overviews (11) | Webcasts (6)
- Top stories for Jan 24-30: 7 Common Data Science Mistakes; Businesses Will Need 1M Data Scientists by 2018 - Jan 31, 2016.
20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists; TensorFlow Disappoints - Google Deep Learning falls shallow; 7 Common Data Science Mistakes and How to Avoid Them; Businesses Will Need One Million Data Scientists by 2018.
- Academic/Research positions in Business Analytics, Data Science, Machine Learning in January 2016 - Jan 30, 2016.
Academic/Research positions Analytics and Data Science at INRIA, U. Texas, U. Mannheim, Eindhoven U. of Technology, IBM Social Good Fellowship, Yale, Xavier, U. Western Switzerland, U. Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallee, and U. Tampere.
- New Poll: Deep Learning – does reality match the hype? - Jan 29, 2016.
New KDnuggets Poll looks at the very hot field of Deep Learning and asks: does reality match the hype? Please vote!
- Businesses Will Need One Million Data Scientists by 2018 - Jan 28, 2016.
Deepening shortage of Data Science talent and cybersecurity challenges are trends shaping business in 2016.
- Top stories for Jan 17-23: 20 Questions to Detect Fake DS; Yahoo Releases the Largest-ever Machine Learning Dataset - Jan 24, 2016.
20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists; Google Deep Learning TensorFlow Disappoints; Yahoo Releases the Largest-ever Machine Learning Dataset for Researchers; Research Leaders on Data Mining, Data Science and Big Data.
- Where Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science were applied in 2015 - Jan 23, 2016.
Consumer Analytics is still the leading application area for analytics & data mining (although losing its share), followed by Finance, and Banking. Highest growth is in Games, Entertainment/Music, and Social Good/Non-profit applications. 3-year comparison shows surprising stability.
- Top 2015 KDnuggets Stories on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining, Machine Learning, updated - Jan 21, 2016.
R vs Python for Data Science: The Winner is ...; 60+ Free Books on Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining, Machine Learning; Top 20 Python Machine Learning Open Source Projects; 50+ Data Science and Machine Learning Cheat Sheets.
- Data Scientist – best job in America - Jan 20, 2016.
Data Scientist is the best job in America, according to Glassdoor, with median base salary $117K, and high career prospects. Analytics Manager ranks n. 11. However, the number of available positions is much less than predicted shortage of 140-190,000.
- 12 Data Analytics Thought Leaders on Twitter - Jan 20, 2016.
Menlo technologies compiled a list of Data Analytics thought leaders and companies they follow on Twitter. Spend some time on their informative and as entertaining Twitter Feeds, web and blogs.
- Introducing Quora’s Machine Learning Sessions Series - Jan 19, 2016.
Quora is launching a new format for interacting with domain experts and sharing knowledge, and its first topic is Machine Learning. Yoshua Bengio is the first expert, and he is accepting questions now.
- Yahoo Releases the Largest-ever Machine Learning Dataset for Researchers - Jan 18, 2016.
Are you interested in massive amounts of data for research? Yahoo has just released the largest-ever machine learning dataset to the research community.
- Research Leaders on Data Mining, Data Science and Big Data key advances, top trends - Jan 18, 2016.
Research Leaders in Data Science and Big Data reflect on the most important research advances in 2015 and the key trends expected to dominate throughout 2016.
- Camelyon16 – Machine Learning Challenge in cancer detection - Jan 18, 2016.
Camelyon16 challenge in conjugation with IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging is here! You have to design and develop a system which can detect and localize metastatic regions in whole slide microscopic images.
- Top stories for Jan 10-16: 20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists; Machine Intelligence vs Machine Learning vs Deep Learning vs AI - Jan 17, 2016.
20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists; TensorFlow Disappoints - Google Deep Learning falls shallow; Machine Intelligence vs Machine Learning vs Deep Learning vs AI; What To Expect from Deep Learning in 2016.
- Top 100 Big Data Experts to Follow - Jan 15, 2016.
Maptive gives us another list of top Big Data Influencers to check out, including data-driven reasons as to why individuals are included.
- New KDnuggets Podcasts Page - Jan 14, 2016.
Check out KDnuggets' new podcasts page, and let us know what we're missing.
- InformationWeek Top Data Science, Analytics, and BI experts on Twitter - Jan 14, 2016.
Twitter is great place to learn about what data scientists, business intelligence practitioners, and analytics experts are thinking. Here are 11 of InformationWeek favorites.
- History Meets Innovation: Big Data Hackathon with Yad Vashem - Jan 12, 2016.
For 70 years the dedicated people at Yad Vashem have listened, gathered, protected and curated. Now we make their data come alive.
- Wikipedia Mining reveals hidden Revolution of Human Priorities - Jan 12, 2016.
Wikipedia data mining may reveal changes over time in the human perception of the world, and may also serve as an independent reliable quantitative method of investigation of historical events.
- Top stories for Jan 3-9: 20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists; 5 More arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained - Jan 10, 2016.
20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists; 5 More arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained; TensorFlow is Terrific - A Sober Take on Deep Learning; 55 upcoming January - September Meetings.
- AMA Data Scientist, Jan 13: Jake Porway of DataKind - Jan 7, 2016.
Jake Porway is a machine learning and technology enthusiast, and founder of DataKind nonprofit which helps organizations use the power of data science in the service of humanity. He will do Reddit AMA on Jan 13, 2016.
- Top December stories: Top 10 Machine Learning Projects on Github; 50 Useful Machine Learning, Prediction APIs - Jan 6, 2016.
Top 10 Machine Learning Projects on Github; 50 Useful Machine Learning, Prediction APIs; Free Data Science Curriculum; The Star Wars social networks - who is the central character?
- How Data Science Predicts and Reduces Adverse Birth Outcomes - Jan 6, 2016.
Here we look at project from Chicago University’s Data Science for Social Good (DSSG) Program on Predicting and Reducing Adverse Birth Outcomes.
- How Data Science reduces maternal mortality in Mexico - Jan 5, 2016.
Here we look at another project from Chicago University’s Data Science for Social Good (DSSG) Program which helps make the world a better place.
- How Data Science saves lives and helps combat obesity - Jan 4, 2016.
We look at projects from Chicago University Data Science for Social Good (DSSG) Program which help make the world a better place, and in particular at measure to help predict obesity.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, December: The Secret Sauce, OpenAI, Google vs. Facebook - Jan 4, 2016.
December on /r/MachineLearning: Is TensorFlow Google's "secret sauce?", AI leaders unite, an extensive curated list of machine learning resources grows, Google vs. Facebook, and Deep Q Pong.
- Top stories for Dec 27 – Jan 2: The Art of Data Science: The Skills You Need; 20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists - Jan 3, 2016.
The Art of Data Science: The Skills You Need and How to Get Them; 20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists; TensorFlow is Terrific - A Sober Take on Deep Learning Acceleration; What questions can data science answer?