Summer School on Integrating Vision and Language with Deep Learning, March 21-24, Malta
Through lectures and hands-on sessions, the summer school will cover the state of the art in using deep learning methods within our two disciplines, Computer Vision and Natural Language Processing. The school is open to anyone interested, free of charge. Researchers resident in COST countries are eligible to apply for financial support.
2nd Summer School on Integrating Vision and Language (iV&LSS 2016): Deep Learning
21–24 March 2016, University of Malta, Malta
Organised by ICT COST Action IC1307 The European Network on Integrating Vision and Language (iV&L Net) - Combining Computer Vision and Language Processing For Advanced Search, Retrieval, Annotation and Description of Visual Data
About iV&L Net:
The explosive growth of visual and textual data (both on the Internet and held in private repositories by diverse institutions and companies) has led to urgent requirements in terms of search, processing and management of digital content. Solutions for providing access to or mining such data depend on the semantic gap between vision and language being bridged, which in turn calls for expertise from two largely unconnected fields: Computer Vision (CV) and Natural Language Processing (NLP).
The central goal of the iV&L Net COST Action is to build a European CV/NLP research community, particularly targeting 4 focus themes: (i) Integrated Modelling of Vision and Language for CV and NLP Tasks; (ii) Applications of Integrated Models; (iii) Automatic Generation of Image & Video Descriptions; and (iv) Semantic Image & Video Search. iV&L Net organises and funds annual training schools, workshops, technical meetings, researcher exchange visits, data/task benchmarking, and industry/end-user liaison.
About iV&LSS 2016M:
The 2016 Summer School on Integrating Vision and Language is the second in a series of Summer Schools aimed at bringing together Vision and Language researchers and to provide the opportunity for cross-disciplinary teaching and learning. The aim is that each summer school will build on the last, collectively providing a comprehensive body of information and learning materials about data, methods and applications in Computer Vision, Language Processing and their intersection, focusing particularly on the integration of vision and language processing.
The particular focus of iV&LSS16 will be deep learning for Vision and Language Integration. Through lectures and hands-on sessions, the summer school will cover the state of the art in using deep learning methods within our two disciplines, Computer Vision and Natural Language Processing.
Lecture tutorials and practical sessions by (programme and topics to be finalised):
- Cees Snoek, Amsterdam University: Basics of Neural Networks
- Krystian Mikolajczyk, Imperial College London: Deep Learning Architectures
- NVIDIA Practical Sessions on Deep Learning
- Andrea Vedaldi, University of Oxford: Deep Learning for Applications with emphasis on CV
- Nal Kalchbrenner, Google DeepMind: Deep Learning for Applications with emphasis on NLP
- Richard Socher, MetaMind Inc: Deep learning for CV-NLP Integration Applications with emphasis on NLP
- Mario Fritz, MPI Saarbrucken: Deep learning for CV-NLP integration applications with emphasis on CV
- Research Presentations
- Poster Session
- Student Session
- Social programme including tours of Valletta and dinner (details TBC)
The iV&LSS’16 training school is open to anyone interested in its topics, free of charge. Researchers resident in COST countries (http://www.cost.eu/about_cost/cost_countries) are eligible to apply for financial support (a 'trainee grant') of up to a maximum of €870 (depending on country of residence and number of days attended) to enable them to attend the training school.
If you are interested in attending, please complete the online registration form here.
Please note that we recommend the following:
- register as soon as possible, as places are likely to be filled up within days
- we will accept up to 80 registrations and will operate a waiting list
- however, we have just 40 funded places (trainee grants) available
- trainee grants work on a flat rate basis, i.e. they don't take into account the actual cost of flights, accommodation, etc.
- once registered, book your accommodation as early as possible to ensure affordable rates - this is essential for Malta
If you have any questions regarding the summer school please contact: [email protected]
Training School Organisers:
Anya Belz, University of Brighton, UK
Jordi Gonzalez, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain
Sien Moens, KU Leuven, Belgium
Adrian Muscat, University of Malta, Malta
Katerina Pastra, CSRI Athens, Greece
Mike Rosner, University of Malta, Malta
Tinne Tuytelaars, KU Leuven, Belgium
Enquiries: [email protected]