All (114) | Courses, Education (9) | Meetings (14) | News, Features (16) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (31) | Publications (3) | Software (14) | Top Tweets (5) | Tutorials, Overviews (15) | Webcasts (7)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 22-28: Quantifying Similarity in Structured Data; #Oscar #DataScience: 4-5 nominations no guarantee of winning - Feb 29, 2016.
A Statistical View of #DeepLearning; Impressive tutorial - Tree Kernels: Quantifying Similarity in Structures; Conversation with Data Scientist Sebastian Raschka - new podcast; How to become a #Bayesian in eight easy steps.
- Machine Learning at your fingertips – 60+ free APIs, from HPE Haven OnDemand - Feb 29, 2016.
HPE Haven on Demand has 60+ Machine Learning free APIs to connect, extract, analyze, search, predict - get your API Key and RSVP for the HPE Analytics World Tour.
- How The Algorithm Economy And Containers Are Changing The Apps - Feb 29, 2016.
Algorithmic Intelligence has been a driving force for many today’s technology companies. Understand how these organisations are using algorithms and container services for creating value from data.
- Yahoo! CaffeOnSpark: Distributed Deep Learning on Big Data Clusters - Feb 29, 2016.
Get an overview of Yahoo!'s CaffeOnSpark, the latest entrant into the world of distributed deep learning, directly from the developers.
- The Force Awakens In Data – Industry Leaders Comment - Feb 29, 2016.
While Rey, saw her force come to life in less then 30min, the data industry has been waiting for ‘that’ to happen, for half a decade. However, finally, business-focused analytics and data discovery are on the rise.
- Top stories for Feb 21-27: 21 Must-Know Data Science Interview Q&A, part 2; Data Science vs Disease - Feb 28, 2016.
21 Must-Know Data Science Interview Questions and Answers, parts 1 and 2; Top 10 TED Talks for the Data Scientists; How Data Science is Fighting Disease; Top Data Visualization Projects on Github.
- Why Spark Reached the Tipping Point in 2015 - Feb 26, 2016.
A quantitative look at Spark's breakthrough year in 2015, from 3 different points of view. Will 2016 be an even bigger year for the open source project?
- $5 Million for Helping Humanity through Artificial Intelligence - Feb 26, 2016.
IBM Watson A.I. XPRIZE contest will reward $5 million in prize money to the best applications of AI in solving world’s greatest challenges.
- The Machine Learning Problem of The Next Decade - Feb 26, 2016.
How can businesses integrate imperfect machine-learning algorithms into their workflow?
- Building Zoomable Line Charts in jQuery - Feb 25, 2016.
Learn how to build zoomable line charts using FusionCharts’ core JS library and its jQuery charts plugin, and get started making some beautiful data visualizations for the web.
- What Dog Breed is That? Let AI “fetch” it for you! - Feb 25, 2016.
Recently released AI app identifies dog breed information from pictures and mixes some fun too.
- IBM Watson Analytics for social media analysis - Feb 25, 2016.
We explore IBM Watson Analytics features and what it can do with your data set. The IBM Watson Anlaytics social media add on is available for preview until March 1st.
- Text analytics: what makes your phone smarter than survey analysis - Feb 25, 2016.
Text analytics and word prediction has been broadly used for smart phones. Here, we present “next word predictor” (NWP) as an enhancement for existing survey analysis tool kits and use-cases for the same.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 15-21: Is Big Data Still a Thing? 10 types of #regression. Which one to use? - Feb 24, 2016.
10 types of #regression. Which one to use? Is Big Data Still a Thing? 2016 #BigData Landscape; Demystifying #DeepReinforcement Learning; #TextMining #SouthPark.
- Interconnecting World Open Data Portals, Mar 8 Webinar - Feb 24, 2016.
Join OpenDataSoft for a web conference to contribute to building the next evolution of the List of 1600 Open Data portals worldwide, dubbed Open Data Inception by its creators.
- Conversation with data scientist Sebastian Raschka: A New Podcast Episode - Feb 24, 2016.
In this post we present a interview of Sebastian Raschka, data scientist and author of Python Machine Learning. Who discussed about machine learning, data science, current and future trends.
- Around the World in 60 Days: Getting Deep Speech to Work in Mandarin - Feb 24, 2016.
Baidu continues to make impressive gains with deep learning. Their latest achievement centers on Mandarin speech recognition, which you can read about here from the researchers involved in the project.
- Webinar: Predictive Analytics: Failure to Launch [Mar 9] - Feb 23, 2016.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is Mar 9.
- Short course: Statistical Learning and Data Science, Palo Alto, Apr 18-19 - Feb 23, 2016.
This *new* two-day course gives a detailed and modern overview of statistical models used by data scientists for prediction and inference, with emphasis on tools useful for tackling modern-day data analysis problems.
- Data Science Highlights of Stack Overflow Survey: Machine Learning Has Highest Job Satisfaction - Feb 23, 2016.
The 2015 Stack Overflow Developer Survey gathered data from more than 26,000 respondents. Full stack developers, mobile developers, front end developers... and even data scientists and machine learning developers participated. Check out these 3 interesting insights.
- Tips on How to Be a Stand-Out Data Scientist - Feb 23, 2016.
If you want to be a top data scientist, you'll need other tools in your arsenal in addition to statistics and math mastery.
- Tree Kernels: Quantifying Similarity Among Tree-Structured Data - Feb 23, 2016.
An in-depth, informative overview of tree kernels, both theoretical and practical. Includes a use case and some code after the discussion.
- Simplilearn and Tableau to educate 200,000 Data Scientists by 2020 - Feb 23, 2016.
Simplilearn partners with Tableau to nurture talent pool of 200,000 Data Science professionals by 2020. The partnership will offer high quality instructor-led training, e-learning, and projects on the latest version of Tableau.
- A comparison between PCA and hierarchical clustering - Feb 23, 2016.
Graphical representations of high-dimensional data sets are the backbone of exploratory data analysis. We examine 2 of the most commonly used methods: heatmaps combined with hierarchical clustering and principal component analysis (PCA).
- 4 Simple Ways To Use Data to Grow Your Business in 2016 - Feb 23, 2016.
With the rise of new, affordable, and easy-to-use tools, business owners have started to get a better picture with the data. Here, we introduce you to a couple of these handy analytics tools to manage data within the organization, build customer loyalty and explore it with visualisation.
- How Small is the World, Really? - Feb 22, 2016.
Social network analysis is back in the news again, with a recent Facebook project which determined that there are an average of 3.5 intermediaries between any 2 Facebook users. But this is different than "6 degrees of separation." Read on to find out why, and how.
- Employee Engagement – a Tricky Metric for Predictive Analytics - Feb 22, 2016.
Predictive analytics for workforce has developed significantly in recent times. Here we focus on an important discovery about Employee Engagement metric – why it is tricky.
- Top 10 Data Visualization Projects on Github - Feb 22, 2016.
Github provides a number of open source data visualization options for data scientists and application developers integrating quality visuals. This is a list and description of the top project offerings available, based on the number of stars.
- Stanford: Data Mining, Data Science Online Courses, Certificate - Feb 22, 2016.
Take online Data Mining and Data Science courses with top Stanford faculty that count toward a Stanford Graduate Certificate. Spring quarter starts in March - enroll now.
- How Data Science is Fighting Disease - Feb 22, 2016.
Many organisations are starting to use Data Science as a method of tracking, diagnosing and curing some of the world’s most widespread diseases. We look at 3 common diseases, and how Data Science is used to save lives.
- Top stories for Feb 14-20: Gartner 2016 MQ for Advanced Analytics: gainers and losers; 21 Must-Know Data Science Interview Q&A - Feb 21, 2016.
21 Must-Know Data Science Interview Questions and Answers; Gartner 2016 Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics Platforms; The Next Big Inflection in Big Data: Automated Insights; Opening Up Deep Learning For Everyone.
- 21 Must-Know Data Science Interview Questions and Answers, part 2 - Feb 20, 2016.
Second part of the answers to 20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists, including controlling overfitting, experimental design, tall and wide data, understanding the validity of statistics in the media, and more.
- Getting Started with Data Visualization - Feb 19, 2016.
Data visualization is on the rise nowadays. This step-by-step tutorial covers the process of creating your first data visualization using FusionCharts.
- HPI Future SOC Lab offers researchers free access to a powerful Big Data & Computing infrastructure - Feb 19, 2016.
The HPI Future SOC (Service-Oriented Computing) Lab is a cooperation of the Hasso Plattner Institute (HPI) and industrial partners, providing free access to a powerful Big Data & Computing infrastructure. It is now accepting project proposals.
- Opening Up Deep Learning For Everyone - Feb 19, 2016.
Opening deep learning up to everyone is a noble goal. But is it achievable? Should non-programmers and even non-technical people be able to implement deep neural models?
- PASS Business Analytics, San Jose, May 2-4 – Get Hands-on Analytics Training - Feb 19, 2016.
The PASS Business Analytics Conference is your yearly connection to what's new, and what's coming up so your team can be prepared for anything. Don't miss out on this opportunity to set your team up for success.
- Embedding Open Cognitive Analytics at the IoT’s Edge - Feb 19, 2016.
Cognitive computing is penetrating more aspects of the IoT as algorithms enable edge devices and applications. Understand how unstructured data captured by IoT edge devices with the help of cognitive algorithms distilled into actionable insights.
- 2nd Annual Global Predictive Analytics Conference, March 7-9, Santa Clara - Feb 18, 2016.
Global Predictive Analytics conference features sharing real world experiences, how to create a balanced predictive analytics team, new methods used in predictive analytics across multiple industry verticals, Panel Sessions, Keynotes and workshop. Use code KDNUGGETS to save.
- 3 Biggest Challenges of a Data Scientist - Feb 18, 2016.
A data scientist worth his salt uses applications that help him surmount the three key challenges to his job. Here is how ClicData can help.
- Data Lake Plumbers: Operationalizing the Data Lake - Feb 18, 2016.
Gain insight into data lakes, their benefits, when they are appropriate, and how to operationalize them. How do they compare to the data warehouse?
- Big Data: Rising In Importance But Still Challenging, New Surveys Say - Feb 18, 2016.
Big Data is almost mainstream, and its perceived importance is on the rise. What are the continued challenges to Big Data adoption? Some new surveys provide insight.
- RapidMiner a Leader in the 2016 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics Platforms - Feb 18, 2016.
RapidMiner is thrilled to be recognized as a Leader in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics Platforms for the third consecutive year. Download the Gartner report.
- Big Data Is Driving Your Car - Feb 18, 2016.
Never mind driverless cars! Big Data is already hard at work in every aspect of the automotive industry, including safety, design, marketing and more. We look at where Big Data is having an impact on the cars that we are driving.
- How IBM Watson is Taking on The World - Feb 18, 2016.
We have made tremendous progress in the field of data analysis and on the other, our technology is getting smart. IBM has taken a solid stride in the direction of Artificial Intelligence by unveiling its supercomputer IBM Watson, learn what it can do, its adopters and what it holds for the future.
- 2nd Annual Global Data Science Conference, March 7-9, Santa Clara - Feb 17, 2016.
2nd Annual Global Data Science conference features sessions on sharing real world experiences, how to create a balanced big data science team, interesting panels, keynotes by top experts, and a workshop. Use code KDNUGGETS to save.
- Who do I call if I want to call Europe? - Feb 17, 2016.
Despite all obstacles, Europe built not only the biggest world economy but also a special place where people are protected like nowhere else on the planet. Here is a tiny EU programme that played a key role.
- Deep Learning and Startups: Notes on Rework Conference, San Francisco - Feb 17, 2016.
The Rework Deep Learning conference came to San Francisco this past January, and showcased both prominent deep learning researchers and startups. Get an overview of the proceedings with notes from an attendee.
- Amazon Machine Learning: Nice and Easy or Overly Simple? - Feb 17, 2016.
Amazon Machine Learning is a predictive analytics service with binary/multiclass classification and linear regression features. The service is fast, offers a simple workflow but lacks model selection features and has slow execution times.
- KDnuggets Free Pass to Strata + Hadoop World San Jose 2016 - Feb 16, 2016.
Strata + Hadoop World is the leading event on how big data and ubiquitous, real-time computing is shaping the course of business and society. Win KDnuggets free pass to Strata + Hadoop World San Jose.
- New Books on Text Mining, Visualization, Social Media Analysis - Feb 16, 2016.
New books on "Text Mining and Visualization with Open-Source Tools" and "Graph-Based Social Media Analysis" provide essential and up-to-date information on these key topics. Use code BZQ31 to save 20%.
- Gartner 2016 Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics Platforms: gainers and losers - Feb 16, 2016.
We compare Gartner 2016 Magic Quadrant Advanced Analytics Platforms vs its 2015 version and identify notable changes for leaders and challengers: SAS, IBM, RapidMiner, KNIME, Dell, Angoss, and Microsoft.
- DataRPM: Building Data Products For Recommendations And Predictions, Webinar, Feb 18 - Feb 16, 2016.
Learn how to build data products for recommendations and predictions quickly and easily using DataRPM; Why productizing data can transform your organization.
- Privacy – what is it? - Feb 16, 2016.
Bothered about the “big brother” knowing everything about you? We are explaining what exactly the privacy means in this data driven world, what are the different types, the major concerns and its limitation.
- Predictive Analytics Deployment to Mainframe or Hadoop – Webinar, March 3 - Feb 16, 2016.
Join Decision Management guru James Taylor and Michael Zeller, CEO of Zementis, to learn how the Predictive Model Markup Language (PMML) provides a standards-based, repeatable and efficient deployment approach.
- Bayes Theorem for Computer Scientists, Explained - Feb 16, 2016.
Data science is vain without the solid understanding of probability and statistics. Learn the basic concepts of probability, including law of total probability, relevant theorem and Bayes’ theorem, along with their computer science applications.
- Online Courses, from basic statistics to Big Data and Analytics, from Statistics.com - Feb 15, 2016.
Statistics.com offers a rich array of online courses to accelerate your data science career or help upgrade the skills of your Big Data team. Small classes, not MOOCs, taught by top instructors - people who write the textbooks and have real industry experience.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 08-14: MIT-designed chip brings #MachineLearning to mobile devices; Best TED Talks for #DataScientist - Feb 15, 2016.
Best TED Talks for #DataScientist; Easy #DeepLearning w. TensorFlow; #DataScientist Valentine's Day Options - neural net predicts 98.9% compatibility; DeepLearning is not Enough - majority in KDnuggets Poll says; Great #DataScience application: Most timeless #song of all time #Spotify.
- Big Data Projects and Distributed Data Science Pipelines – online courses - Feb 15, 2016.
If you're managing big data projects or building distributed data science systems, you will find these online courses very useful: Building Distributed Pipelines for Data, March 1-3 and Managing Successful Big data Projects, March 15-16.
- The ICLR Experiment: Deep Learning Pioneers Take on Scientific Publishing - Feb 15, 2016.
Deep learning pioneers Yann LeCun and Yoshua Bengio have undertaken a grand experiment in academic publishing. Embracing a radical level of transparency and unprecedented public participation, they've created an opportunity not only to find and vet the best papers, but also to gather data about the publication process itself.
- The Next Big Inflection in Big Data: Automated Insights - Feb 15, 2016.
To keep up with big data and improve our use of information, we need insightful applications that will quickly and inexpensively extract correlations while associating insights with actions.
- Visualizing Unstructured Analysis – Elections, Words, and Zika virus - Feb 15, 2016.
Unstructured data has proven to be a big analytics challenge. This week in the Data Driven Digest, we’re serving up some ingenious visualizations of unstructured data and making it talk.
- Top stories for Feb 7-13: Top 10 TED Talks for the Data Scientists; Easy Deep Learning with TensorFlow and Scikit-learn - Feb 14, 2016.
50+ Data Science and Machine Learning Cheat Sheets; 20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists; Top 10 TED Talks for the Data Scientists; Scikit Flow: Easy Deep Learning with TensorFlow and Scikit-learn.
- Data Scientist Valentine’s Day Collection - Feb 13, 2016.
We review Data Scientist Valentine's Day options with several topical cartoons, including Scarledoopython, Neural net predictions, and dating algorithm adjustments.
- Astounding predictive analytics opportunities in 2016 [Infographic] - Feb 12, 2016.
Predictive Analytics World for Business - delivering on promise of Data Science - 10,000 alumni, 37 sessions in SF, 7 Unique workshops. Save w. code KDN150
- Ensemble Methods: Elegant Techniques to Produce Improved Machine Learning Results - Feb 12, 2016.
Get a handle on ensemble methods from voting and weighting to stacking and boosting, with this well-written overview that includes numerous Python-style pseudocode examples for reinforcement.
- Elementary, My Dear Watson! An Introduction to Text Analytics via Sherlock Holmes - Feb 12, 2016.
Want to learn about the field of text mining, go on an adventure with Sherlock & Watson. Here you will find what are different sub-domains of text mining along with a practical example.
- Money vs Votes in New Hampshire Primary – SuperPACs not very effective - Feb 12, 2016.
We examine the money and votes in New Hampshire 2016 Primary. Over $100 million was spent by all campaigns, with hugely varying results, and no apparent correlation between money and votes.
- Scikit Flow: Easy Deep Learning with TensorFlow and Scikit-learn - Feb 12, 2016.
Scikit Learn is a new easy-to-use interface for TensorFlow from Google based on the Scikit-learn fit/predict model. Does it succeed in making deep learning more accessible?
- Data Science Skills for 2016 - Feb 12, 2016.
As demand for the hottest job is getting hotter in new year, the skill set required for them is getting larger. Here, we are discussing the skills which will be in high demand for data scientist which include data visualization, Apache Spark, R, python and many more.
- Does Machine Learning allow opposites to attract? - Feb 11, 2016.
Most online dating sites use 'Netflix-style' recommendations which match people based on their shared interests and likes. What about those matches that work so well because people are so different - here is my example.
- 21 Must-Know Data Science Interview Questions and Answers - Feb 11, 2016.
KDnuggets Editors bring you the answers to 20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists, including what is regularization, Data Scientists we admire, model validation, and more.
- Auto-Scaling scikit-learn with Spark - Feb 11, 2016.
Databricks gives us an overview of the spark-sklearn library, which automatically and seamlessly distributes model tuning on a Spark cluster, without impacting workflow.
- Big Data Innovation Summit, San Francisco, Apr 21-22, 2016 – Early bird, KDnuggets discount - Feb 11, 2016.
Hear groundbreaking presentations on Big Data Analytics, Retail, Finance, Data-Driven Product Innovation, and Healthcare. Early Bird rates end Feb 19 - get extra 10% off with code KD10.
- 9 Must-Have Datasets for Investigating Recommender Systems - Feb 11, 2016.
Gain some insight into a variety of useful datasets for recommender systems, including data descriptions, appropriate uses, and some practical comparison.
- Data Scientist Valentine Day Card from Anaconda - Feb 10, 2016.
Data Scientist Valentine Day Card: I VISUALIZE US TOGETHER; I HAVE NO OPEN ISSUES WITH YOU; while TRUE: print "I love you". Download and send to significant other!
- Big Data 2016: Top Influencers and Brands - Feb 10, 2016.
Onalytica gives us a new list of the top 100 Big Data influencers and brands, and provides some insight into both the relationships between influencers and their selection methodology.
- 4 Reasons Why We Need More Women In Big Data - Feb 10, 2016.
Gender imbalance in the workforce has been highlighted alarmingly during the recent years. Here, we are providing you a couple of reasons, including the inherent advantage and lack of stereotype for role to hire women data scientists.
- HackSummit Virtual Event, Feb 22-24 - Feb 10, 2016.
hack.summit() is a virtual conference, uniting renowned programming language creators, open-source contributors and other top experts. Free registration to all KDnuggets readers - use the code KDNUGGETS.
- ADMA Data Day, Apr 27 Sydney, Apr 29 Melbourne, Australia - Feb 9, 2016.
ADMA Data Day brings together international and local leaders in the data and marketing spaces - the perfect event for those analysts that advise senior decision makers or work within a marketing department.
- Change in Perspective with Process Mining - Feb 9, 2016.
Process mining is focused on the analysis of processes, and is an excellent tool in particular for the exploratory analysis of process-related data. Understand how effectively use it as an exploratory analysis tool, which can rapidly and flexibly take different perspectives on your processes.
- Deep Learning is not Enough - Feb 9, 2016.
Deep Learning has real successes, but is not enough to reach artificial intelligence, according to latest KDnuggets Poll. For more complex problems, should pure neural-net approaches be combined with symbolic, knowledge-based methods?
- Top 10 TED Talks for the Data Scientists - Feb 9, 2016.
TEDTalks have been a great platform for sharing ideas and inspirations. Here, we have sifted ten interesting talks for the data scientist from statistics, social media and economics domains.
- Financial service apps featured at Predictive Analytics World, San Francisco - Feb 9, 2016.
Predictive Analytics World for Business in San Francisco, April 3-7, features a full 2-day Financial Services track, featuring experts from Chase, Capital One, Experian, Microsoft, Paypal, and other leading companies. Sign up with code KDN150 & save up to $350.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 1-7: On Facebook people are separated by only 3.5 degrees; Tribute to Marvin Minsky, co-founder of AI - Feb 8, 2016.
The Most Funded #Tech #Startup In every US state; Tableau, Qlik, Microsoft leaders in Gartner 2016 BI, #Analytics Platforms; Tribute to Marvin Minsky 1927-2016, co-founder of Artificial Intelligence; No more #6degrees! On Facebook people are separated by only 3.5 degrees.
- New Tools Predict Markets with 99.9% certainty - Feb 8, 2016.
Predicting financial markets is a relatively new field of of research, it is cross-disciplinary, it is difficult and requires some insight into trading, computational linguistics, behavioral finance, pattern recognition, and learning models.
- Avoid These Common Data Visualization Mistakes - Feb 8, 2016.
Data Visualization is a handy tool which can lead to interesting discoveries about the data, which otherwise wouldn’t have been possible. But, there are common mistakes which could produce the misdirecting results. Learn what are they and how you can avoid them.
- Top stories for Jan 31 – Feb 6: Data scientists keep forgetting the one rule; Apache Spark: RDD, DataFrame or Dataset? - Feb 7, 2016.
20 Q to Detect Fake Data Scientists; TensorFlow Disappoints - Google Deep Learning falls shallow; Data scientists keep forgetting the one rule; Apache Spark: RDD, DataFrame or Dataset?
- Top January stories: 20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists, Machine Intelligence vs. Machine Learning vs. Deep Learning vs. AI - Feb 5, 2016.
20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists; What Is Machine Intelligence Vs. Machine Learning Vs. Deep Learning Vs. Artificial Intelligence (AI)? 7 Common Data Science Mistakes and How to Avoid Them; What questions can data science answer?
- The WebMiner Filter – Beta - Feb 5, 2016.
Filtering through companies, blogs, shops or social media websites we can make a better use of our search results and therefore add value to our internet searches. TheWebMiner is a company that offers enterprise web crawling, web scraping and many other data processing solutions.
- TMA Predictive Analytics Data Mining Training, [Orlando, Feb 18-26] - Feb 5, 2016.
Successful analytics in the big data era does not start with data and software, but with hands-on, immersive training and goal-driven strategy - get it from The Modeling Agency in Orlando, February 18-26.
- Webinar: Visualizing 1 Billion Points Of Data, Feb 9 - Feb 5, 2016.
As data grows to include millions and billions of points, traditional visualization techniques break down. Join Continuum Analytics on Feb 9 for a webinar on Big Data visualization with the new datashader library.
- Wharton: Successful Applications of Customer Analytics, April 29, Philadelphia - Feb 4, 2016.
Now in its third year, the conference continues to gain momentum with industry practitioners. This year will feature a great line-up of expert speakers, new format and two keynotes.
- 62 upcoming February – October Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science - Feb 4, 2016.
Coming soon: #PASanDiego, KNIME Summit Berlin, WSDM 2016, JMP Discovery Summit, Big Data Paris, Strata + Hadoop San Jose, PAW San Francisco, and many more.
- Data Warehouse Architecture 2016, March 21-23, Washington, DC - Feb 4, 2016.
Data Warehouse Architecture 2016 offers you the first completely vendor-neutral forum to share best practice on the crucial day-to-day issues such as design, project management and funding, ETL, integration, data quality, Hadoop and upgrades.
- RapidMiner Webinar: Extracting Insight from Superbowl Sentiments, Feb 16 - Feb 4, 2016.
The webinar explores the power of social content by analyzing data captured from tweets about Super Bowl 50 ads to determine sentiments and predict potential trends in brand adoption.
- Money does buy votes, unless you are Jeb Bush - Feb 3, 2016.
Can money buy votes? In Iowa republican caucuses Jeb Bush spent about $2,700/per vote, with little to show. However, without Jeb, there is a strong correlation between money and votes, with $210/vote on average. We also find that spending more time in Iowa does not help.
- On Why Sequels Are Bad and Red Light Cameras Aren’t As Effective - Feb 3, 2016.
Regression to the mean is a statistical phenomenon whereby extreme observations will tend to decrease (regress) towards the mean on subsequent readings. Regression to the mean is essentially a result of selection bias, learn more about it.
- Apache Spark: RDD, DataFrame or Dataset? - Feb 3, 2016.
There are now 3 Apache Spark APIs. Here’s how to choose the right one.
- Strata Hadoop World London 2016 - Feb 3, 2016.
Strata + Hadoop World is the leading event on how big data and ubiquitous, real-time computing is shaping the course of business and society. Make plans to join Strata + Hadoop World in London 31 May-3 June 2016. Save 20% with code PCKDNG.
- Webinar: The Role of Text Mining at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Feb 23 - Feb 2, 2016.
Learn how text mining enables life science researchers to quickly analyze massive amounts of literature, conference abstracts, patents and clinical data to help inform and guide R&D.
- Four Major Predictions for Predictive Analytics and Big Data in 2016 - Feb 2, 2016.
2016 will usher in some unmissable results of the Information Age’s latest contribution, the more effective execution of major operations across sectors with predictive analytics.
- Data scientists keep forgetting the one rule - Feb 2, 2016.
“Correlation does not imply causation”. Yet data scientists often confuse the two, succumbing to the temptation to over-interpret. And that can lead us to make some really bad decisions from data.
- Peering into the Black Box and Explainability - Feb 2, 2016.
In many domains, where data science can be a game changer, and the biggest hurdle is not collecting data or building the models, it is Understanding what they mean.
- The Top A.I. Breakthroughs of 2015 - Feb 2, 2016.
Learn about the biggest developments of 2015 in the field of Artificial Intelligence.
- Microsoft Deep Learning Brings Innovative Features – CNTK Shows Promise - Feb 2, 2016.
Microsoft releases CNTK, a deep learning tool kit which shows promise. While a few innovative features set it apart from its competitors, a major drawback may hurt its adoption.
- Simplilearn Special: 30% off on Big Data and Analytics courses - Feb 2, 2016.
Get access to Simplilearn R, Big Data, Hadoop and other Data Science-related courses at unbeatable prices with code GetAhead. This offer good till 7 Feb, 2016.
- KDnuggets New Responsive, Mobile-Friendly Design - Feb 2, 2016.
Check KDnuggets new responsive, mobile-friendly design and different new features, including more ways to access our rich content.
- Top 10 tweets Jan 25-31: DataViz: how a decision tree works; Nice and Brief Tutorial on Python - Feb 1, 2016.
DataViz - how a decision tree makes classifications; Very Nice and Brief Tutorial on #Python #DataScience #DataViz; Per Einstein, time flows slower in Meetings than in empty space #hum; Top 10 Skills for #DataScience professionals.
- PAW: Early bird ends Feb. 5th for 4 converging analytics events - Feb 1, 2016.
The powerhouse gathering of data scientists and analysts in North America this spring is San Francisco, Apr 3-7, with Predictive Analytics World for Business, Workforce, the eMetrics Summit, and PA Times Executive Breakfast. Early bird ends Feb 5. Use KDN150 for extra savings.
- Cartoon: Deeper Deep Learning - Feb 1, 2016.
New KDnuggets Cartoon looks at a creative new way of achieving even better results and breaking through Machine Learning barriers with even "deeper" Deep Learning approach.
- Machine Learning Course for R&D Specialists, 4-8 April, Delft, The Netherlands - Feb 1, 2016.
Do you want to go beyond theory and learn how to create working Machine Learning solutions? This 5-day course provides you with practical step-by-step methodology.
- AI Supercomputers: Microsoft Oxford, IBM Watson, Google DeepMind, Baidu Minwa - Feb 1, 2016.
In the world of AI, this is the equivalent of the US and USSR competing to put their guy on the moon first. Here is a profile of some of the giants locked into the AI space race.
- Google’s Great Gains in the Grand Game of Go - Feb 1, 2016.
The game of Go has long stumped AI researchers, and, as such, solving it was thought to be years off. That is, until Google solved it earlier this week. Or did it?
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, January: Google Masters Go, Deep Learning Laughs, OpenAI AMA - Feb 1, 2016.
In January on /r/MachineLearning: Go gets mastered, deep learning laughs, an OpenAI team AMA, convolutional neural nets colorize black and white photos, and the AI community loses a leader.