5,000 KDnuggets Posts – Examining Our Most Popular Analytics, Big Data, Data Science stories
Tags: About KDnuggets
We mark 5000th KDnuggets Post on Wordpress platform and examine our most popular content - most viewed, most shared, and most viral.
Although KDnuggets was published since 1993, initial posts were in text mode and then static HTML, with newsletters emailed weekly.
In November 2009, I switched KDnuggets to blog-style, daily publication and used a custom PHP-style platform that I was misguided enough to write myself. Although that platform was very efficient, only I could use it.
With the continued growth in KDnuggets audience, a distributed platform was a necessity. I converted almost all directory pages and news pages from 2013 forward to WordPress and switched to publishing on WordPress platform in January 2014. This also enabled me to recruit a very talented team of interns and editors to run KDnuggets and facilitated much faster growth of KDnuggets.
Thank you, Anmol, Dev, Geet, Grant, Jim, Matt, Ran, and Zack!
Fig. 1: KDnuggets Audience growth, 2011 - 2016.
Besides WordPress posts, KDnuggets has several thousand older news items from 1993 to 2012 - see KDnuggets News Archive.
Here are the most viewed 15 posts, by unique page views, from Jan 1, 2014 to Apr 24, 2016. Two of these posts are from 2016, 7 from 2015, 4 from 2014, 1 from 2013, one from 2011.
- R vs Python for Data Science: The Winner is ..., 138,807 views
- 9 Must-Have Skills You Need to Become a Data Scientist, 100,141 views
- TensorFlow Disappoints - Google Deep Learning falls shallow, 96,862 views
- Top 10 Data Analysis Tools for Business, 92,905 views
- 7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python, 88,299 views
- Free Public Datasets, 84,830 views (since Jan 1, 2013)
- Top 20 Python Machine Learning Open Source Projects, 76,964 views
- 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science, 75,976 views (since Oct 1, 2013)
- 60+ Free Books on Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining, Machine Learning, Python, R, and more, 74,110 views
- 50+ Data Science and Machine Learning Cheat Sheets, 67,891 views
- 20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists, 57,349 views
- 21 Must-Know Data Science Interview Questions and Answers, 54,720 views
- Top 30 Social Network Analysis and Visualization Tools, 53,222 views
- Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science, 51,611 views
- Is Data Scientist the right career path for you? Candid advice, 49,717 views
We note that the most popular topics are R, Python, Languages for Analytics, and tools for learning Data Science and related topics. The most popular posts have amazing staying power, partly because their popularity is reinforced by them being included in Top Stories Last Week table in KDnuggets left column and in Most popular last 30 days table at the bottom of main column.
It is interesting that a post with a very click-baity title, "20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists" got almost the same number of views as our post with answers to these questions, "21 Must-Know Data Science Interview Questions and Answers", but disappointing that the post with answers got 20% less shares.
Here are 15 most shared items (counts obtained using Buzzsumo Chrome extension on Apr 25, 2016).
- 60+ Free Books on Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining, Machine Learning, Python, R, and more 5840 shares
- Top 20 Python Machine Learning Open Source Projects, 3849
- 50+ Data Science and Machine Learning Cheat Sheets, 3321
- Poll: What Predictive Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science software/tools you used in the past 12 months?, 2835
- R vs Python for Data Science: The Winner is ..., 2560
- Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science, 2251
- Which Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science Tools go together?, 2209
- The one language a Data Scientist must master, 2102
- 30 Can't miss Harvard Business Review articles on Data Science, Big Data and Analytics, 1997
- R leads RapidMiner, Python catches up, Big Data tools grow, Spark ignites, 1741
- Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained, 1656
- 7 common mistakes when doing Machine Learning, 1641
- Gartner 2016 Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics Platforms: gainers and losers, 1533
- Top 10 TED Talks for the Data Scientists, 1516
- 20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists, 1481
We can also examine relative popularity of shares vs posts. If a post has many shares relative to views, it may be an indicator of good or shareable content.
Here are 10 posts with most "viral" (shareable) content:
|Poll: What Predictive Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science software/tools you used in the past 12 months?||12,295||2835||23.06|
|Which Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science Tools go together?||17,298||2209||12.77|
|30 Can't miss Harvard Business Review articles on Data Science, Big Data and Analytics||16,309||1997||12.24|
|Gartner 2016 Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics Platforms: gainers and losers||14,019||1533||10.94|
|R leads RapidMiner, Python catches up, Big Data tools grow, Spark ignites||19,616||1741||8.88|
|60+ Free Books on Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining, Machine Learning, Python, R, and more||74,110||5840||7.88|
|Top 10 TED Talks for the Data Scientists||20,153||1516||7.52|
|The one language a Data Scientist must master||30,752||2102||6.84|
|Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained||29,677||1656||5.58|
|7 common mistakes when doing Machine Learning||29,706||1641||5.52|
We combined the top 15 most viewed and most shared and show the combined chart below.
Fig 2: Most popular among KDnuggets 5,000 posts.
X-axis is the number of shares, Y-axis - number of unique page views from Jan 1 2014 to Apr 24, 2016; Color is post age: (red is new, blue is old); Circle size is post velocity (views/month). It has been a great journey and we look forward to sharing with our readers the interesting and exciting developments in the world of Big Data, Data Science, and Machine Learning.
Top Stories Past 30 Days