2016 Apr News, Features
All (108) | Courses, Education (8) | Meetings (13) | News, Features (28) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (29) | Software (5) | Tutorials, Overviews (19) | Webcasts (6)
- Cartoon: When Automation Goes Too Far - Apr 30, 2016.
KDnuggets Cartoon looks into the future of Automated Data Science and Marketing - when will automation go too far?
- World Bank Opens a Treasure Trove of Data - Apr 29, 2016.
The World Bank just launched the beta of their Open Data site at beta.data.worldbank.org, built with React and Node.js by Wiredcraft.
- Survey: Why Companies Still Fail to Get Full Value From Big Data - Apr 29, 2016.
Any company that has decided to put efforts in data has to face bringing these projects from the design and development phase to the production phase at some point. So tell us how you do it. And we’ll tell you what we learned from you.
- Data Scientist Survey: What Is An Interesting Result? - Apr 28, 2016.
A survey requesting feedback from data scientists on their opinion of what an interesting result is. The survey is anonymous, has only a single mandatory question, and takes only 5 minutes.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 12-26: The Race For AI: Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple; Comprehensive Guide to Learning #Python - Apr 27, 2016.
Data Science helps see where your country will stand in WW 3; Recommender Systems: New Comprehensive Textbook; Good read: Deep Learning in Neural Networks - extreme summary; The Race For #AI: Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple rush to grab #AI startups.
- 5,000 KDnuggets Posts – Examining Our Most Popular Analytics, Big Data, Data Science stories - Apr 25, 2016.
We mark 5000th KDnuggets Post on Wordpress platform and examine our most popular content - most viewed, most shared, and most viral.
- Top stories for Apr 18-24: Top 15 Machine Learning Frameworks, Deep Learning vs. SVMs and Random Forests - Apr 25, 2016.
When Does Deep Learning Work Better Than SVMs or Random Forests?; Comprehensive Guide to Learning Python for Data Analysis and Data Science; Top 15 Frameworks for Machine Learning Experts; Top 10 IPython Notebook Tutorials for Data Science and Machine Learning
- Black Box Challenge Machine Learning Competition - Apr 21, 2016.
Take part in an unusual machine learning competition — program an agent (in Python) that can play a game with unknown rules.
- Best Data Science, Machine Learning Blogs from Companies and Startups - Apr 21, 2016.
A collection of company data science blogs to follow and read. Top blogs have links to, and excerpts from, recent quality posts of particular interest.
- Top stories for Apr 10-17: New Deep Learning Book Finished, Pocket Guide to Data Science - Apr 18, 2016.
New Deep Learning Book Finished; A Pocket Guide to Data Science; 7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python; From Science to Data Science, a Comprehensive Guide for Transition; Automated Machine Learning: Changing the Game
- Weekend Reading List: Free eBooks and Other Online Resources - Apr 16, 2016.
Do you have free time for reading this weekend? Here are a few new (or refreshed) selections of varying length for your leisure, along with a pair of papers, one cutting edge, and one classic.
- Introducing @KDnuggetsJobs, Data Science Job Finding Tool - Apr 15, 2016.
KDnuggets is happy to introduce another tool for our readers in the process of looking for jobs: the @KDnuggetsJobs Twitter account, dedicated to sharing our Analytics, Data Science, and Big Data job listings.
- 12 Inspiring Women In Data Science, Big Data - Apr 15, 2016.
It’s been well documented that women don’t come close to parity in STEM fields with their counterparts. Could the rise of big data and data science offer women a clearer path to success in technology? Here’s a list of 12 inspiring women who work in big data and data
- Recommender Systems: New Comprehensive Textbook by Charu Aggarwal - Apr 15, 2016.
Covers recommender systems comprehensively, both fundamentals and advanced topics, organized into: Algorithms and evaluation, recommendations in specific domains and contexts, and advanced topics and applications.
- Automated Machine Learning: Changing the Game - Apr 14, 2016.
Making sense of the mountains of data collected on a daily basis requires specialized data science skills that are hard to come by, and hard to keep. Augmented or even eliminated some of these specialized tasks with machine learning.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 6-11: Using Machine Learning to predict Villanova win; Deep Learning for Beginners – notes by research leaders - Apr 13, 2016.
Deep Learning for Beginners - notes by research leaders ; Here is how Matt Harvey used #MachineLearning to predict #Villanova win; Brilliant #Dilbert cartoon: Management class on NOT listening finally pays off; #DeepLearning: 5 People To Know @AndrewYNg @Ylecun @karpathy @Peteskomoroch; #use Text Control: No formatting, No Character Formatting, Template: Default
- IDC/KDnuggets Advanced Analytics Survey – please participate - Apr 12, 2016.
What are the use cases for machine learning? What's the typical analytics workflow? Should we have a data science team? Should we outsource our analytics? Help IDC and KDnuggets answer these questions and read the results on KDnuggets and in other places.
- New Deep Learning Book Finished, Finalized Online Version Available - Apr 12, 2016.
What will likely become known as the seminal book on deep learning is finally finished, with the online version finalized and freely-accessible to all those interested in mastering deep neural networks.
- CrowdFlower 2016 Data Science Report - Apr 11, 2016.
A new data science report with survey results related to the success and challenges of data scientists, and where data science is going as a discipline.
- 2016 ACM SIGKDD Innovation and Service Awards - Apr 11, 2016.
ACM SIGKDD Innovation and Service Awards recognize outstanding technical innovations and outstanding professional contributions to the field of Big data, Data Mining, Knowledge Discovery, and Predictive Analytics.
- Top stories for Apr 3-9: Deep Learning for Internet of Things Using H2O; Basics of GPU Computing for Data Scientists - Apr 10, 2016.
7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python; Top 10 Essential Books for the Data Enthusiast; Deep Learning for Internet of Things Using H2O; Basics of GPU Computing for Data Scientists.
- Our World in Data – A Fantastic Site for Data-driven Analysis - Apr 8, 2016.
Online open data repository and browser-based interaction site Our World in Data, from the University of Oxford, is a fantastic site for data-driven exploration.
- VIP Invitation to the Marketing Analytics & Data Science Conference - Apr 7, 2016.
Join industry leaders at the inaugural Marketing Analytics & Data Science conference, San Francisco, June 8-10. KDnuggets readers enjoy a 20% discount.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 30 – Apr 05: Top 10 Essential Books for #Data Enthusiast; If Hollywood Made #Movies About #MachineLearning - Apr 6, 2016.
Top 10 Essential Books for #Data Enthusiast; If Hollywood Made #Movies About #MachineLearning; Learning to Code Diminishing Returns - coders training their digital replacements.
- Top March stories: R Learning Path: From beginner to expert in 7 steps; R or Python? Consider learning both - Apr 5, 2016.
R Learning Path: From beginner to expert in 7 steps; R or Python? Consider learning both; Distributed TensorFlow Has Arrived; The Data Science Process, Rediscovered.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, March: Hugs, Deep Learning Navigation, 3D Face Capture, AlphaGo! - Apr 4, 2016.
What's huggable, adversarial images for deep learning, overview of real-time 3D face capture and reenactment, deep learning quadcopter navigation, and a whole lot of AlphaGo!
- Top stories for Mar 27- Apr 2: 100 Active Blogs on Big Data, Data Science; Become A Machine Learning Expert in one step - Apr 3, 2016.
100 Active Blogs on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science, Machine Learning; How To Become A Machine Learning Expert In One Simple Step; R Learning Path: From beginner to expert in R in 7 steps; 7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python.
- Top 10 Essential Books for the Data Enthusiast - Apr 1, 2016.
A unique top 10 list of book recommendations, for each of 10 categories this list provides a top paid and top free book recommendation. If you're interested in books on data, this diverse list of top picks should be right up your alley.