CRN Top Platform and Tools Vendors 2016
The CRN editorial team has released its annual Big Data 100 report for 2016. Check out which companies made the list of Platform and Tools Vendors.
The CRN editorial team recently released its fourth annual Big Data 100 report. Each year, the team compiles a report consisting of the most innovative product and service vendors in the Big Data realm, with the intent of helping steer solutions providers toward the most cutting-edge teams.
For simplicity, CRN also divides the report into three categories:
- Business Analytics - Vendors offering reporting tools, complex data analysis tools, and everything in between
- Platform and Tools - Vendors offering total cloud-based solutions, as well as hardware and software platforms and applications
- Data Management Technologies - Vendors offering database software, data integration solutions, and everything in between
This post will focus on the CRN's top Platforms and Tools Vendors category for 2016. We will have a look at the vendors appearing, and, for each, will provide a concise description from the report.
Note that description excerpts and other vendor details are taken directly, and almost exclusively, from the report.
- Altiscale - Recently launched a self-service analytics service that allows business analysts to rapidly query a data lake using familiar business intelligence tools such as Tableau and Excel without heavy involvement from the IT department. Palo Alto, CA. Founded 2012.
- Amazon Web Services - The de facto data management system for many business applications. Also offers a host of business analytics services. Seattle, WA. Launched 2006.
- BlueData Software - Their EPIC software uses Docker container technology to make it easier for businesses to leverage big data by enabling big data as a service in an on-premise model. Santa Clara, CA. Founded 2012.
- BlueTalon - Provides data access control software for Hadoop, SQL and other big data environments. Redwood City, CA. Founded 2013.
- Cazena - Its big data as a service moves data processing tasks to the cloud with just a few clicks; its data lake as a service and DataMart as a service can provision and optimize cloud infrastructure and big data technologies such as Hadoop, MPP SQL and Spark. Waltham, MA. Founded 2014.
- Cloudera - One of the leading distributors of Hadoop software and developer of related tools and technologies for managing and securing Hadoop clusters. Palo Alto, CA. Founded 2008.
- DataGravity - Develops technology that is at the nexus of storage, data management and business analytics. Nashua, NH. Founded 2012.
- Dell - A player in the big data arena with its Boomi AtomSphere application integration tools, Statistica predictive analytics software and Toad Data Point data access and analysis product. Round Rock, TX. Founded 1984.
- EMC - positions a number of its product lines for big data applications, including its VCE VBlock converged hardware, XtremeIO and DSSD storage systems, and the Isilon Data Lake systems. Hopkinton, MA. Founded 1979.
- Google - Google Cloud Dataflow and Google Cloud Pub/Sub make it easier for developers' code to use huge amounts of data. And Google Cloud Machine Intelligence, currently in alpha development, is a cloud-based machine learning system. Mountain View, CA. Founded 1998.
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise - Includes the Vertica advanced analytics platform; Idol analytics for unstructured data such as text, audio and video; the Haven cloud-based big data platform; and the ArcSight platform for collecting, storing and analyzing machine data. Palo Alto, CA. Founded 2015.
- HortonWorks - Offers a range of big data management products built around its Hortonworks Data Platform (HDP), which is itself based on the Apache Hadoop system. Santa Clara, CA. Founded 2011.
- IBM - Big data initiatives have increasingly centered on its Watson supercomputer and its cloud-based data discovery and predictive analytics services, but the Cognos Analytics software IBM acquired in 2008 remains a big part of the company's business intelligence software lineup, as does Quarks, an open-source technology that embeds streaming analytics capabilities within Internet of Things devices. Armonk, NY. Founded 1911.
- MapR Technologies - One of the leading Hadoop distributors with the MapR Converged Data Platform that integrates Hadoop and Spark with real-time database capabilities, event streaming, security and enterprise storage. San Jose, CA.
- Oracle - One of the longtime leaders in the big data space with its Oracle Database and MySQL relational databases, data management and integration tools, data warehousing technology, and business analytics software. Redwood Shores, CA. Founded 1977.
- Pepperdata - Allows IT to monitor and control system usage to meet service-level agreements, increase data throughput and improve system visibility. Sunnyvale, CA. Founded 2012.
- Pivotal Software - Offers a number of software products for the big data market within the Pivotal Big Data Suite, including the Greenplum open-source massively parallel data warehouse system, the GemFire in-memory data grid system, and the HDB Hadoop System. San Francisco, CA. Founded 2013.
- Snowflake Computing - Offers its cloud-based Snowflake Elastic Data Warehouse service nearly one year ago, providing an alternative to traditional on-premise data warehouse systems that tend to be complex, expensive and time-consuming to build. San Mateo, CA. Founded 2012.
- Syncsort - A big data software company with data transformation and integration technology for Hadoop, Microsoft Windows Linux and other systems. Offers DMX for data integration, DMX-h for managing Hadoop workloads, and Ironcluster Hadoop ETL for Amazon Elastic MapReduce. Woodcliff Lake, NJ. Founded 1968.
- Teradata - In many respects the original data warehouse system vendor. Offers data warehouse systems, business analytics software and other big data products. Dayton, OH. Founded 1979.
For the full list and details, see:
2016 Big Data 100: 20 Coolest Platform And Tools Vendors.