2016 Sep News, Features
All (104) | Courses, Education (13) | Meetings (18) | News, Features (23) | Opinions, Interviews (19) | Software (8) | Tutorials, Overviews (20) | Webcasts & Webinars (3)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 21-27: What is the #Blockchain and Why is it So Important? Watch #StrataHadoop #NYC Keynotes Live Sep 28-29 - Sep 28, 2016.
Top #DataScientists to follow on Twitter: @geoff_hinton @ylecun @SebastianThrun; What is the #Blockchain and Why is it So Important? The (Not So) New Data Scientist Venn Diagram; 9 Key #DeepLearning Papers, Explained.
- Top Stories, Sep 18-24: Top Algorithms and Methods Used by Data Scientists; 9 Key Deep Learning Papers, Explained - Sep 25, 2016.
Also - the 10 Algorithms Machine Learning Engineers Need to Know; Learning From Data (Intro Machine Learning) Caltech course starts on edX.
- Up to Speed on Deep Learning: August Update, Part 2 - Sep 23, 2016.
This is the second part of an overview of deep learning stories that made news in August. Look to see if you have missed anything.
- Top 16 Active Big Data, Data Science Leaders on LinkedIn - Sep 23, 2016.
Who are the most active Big Data, Data Science Influencers and Leaders on LinkedIn? We analyze the data and bring you the list of key people to follow.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 14-20: Why we need #DataScience: brain wont let us see 12 black dots at intersection - Sep 21, 2016.
Why we need #DataScience: brain won't let us see 12 black dots at intersections; #Blurring sensitive info no longer safe! #MachineLearning can recover originals ;Pokemon Go Data; The #NeuralNetwork Zoo - Great chart of different configurations.
- Up to Speed on Deep Learning: August Update - Sep 21, 2016.
Check out this thorough roundup of deep learning stories that made news in August, and see if there are any items of note that you missed.
- KDnuggets Top Bloggers in August – Gold and Silver badges - Sep 20, 2016.
We recognize KDnuggets Best Bloggers who had the most popular or most shared posts in August 2016. KDnuggets publishes over 100 blogs a month and standing out in such competition is non-trivial.
- The Great Algorithm Tutorial Roundup - Sep 20, 2016.
This is a collection of tutorials relating to the results of the recent KDnuggets algorithms poll. If you are interested in learning or brushing up on the most used algorithms, as per our readers, look here for suggestions on doing so!
- NYC Taxi Hackathon – find privacy risks in public taxi datasets - Sep 19, 2016.
The NYC TLC has been a pioneer in sharing big data since 2010, but earlier data releases have been de-anonymized. TLC is considering releasing taxi data again, subject to a new anonymization method. This hackathon is to help test it.
- Top Stories, Sep 12-18: Top Algorithms Used by Data Scientists; 7 Steps to Mastering Apache Spark 2.0 - Sep 19, 2016.
Top Algorithms Used by Data Scientists; 7 Steps to Mastering Apache Spark 2.0; The (Not So) New Data Scientist Venn Diagram; Behind the Dream of Data Work as it Could Be; The Deception of Supervised Learning
- How top companies use data to make wise decisions - Sep 15, 2016.
Lucky people are those who pay attention to patterns and maintain a healthy curiosity. Download JMP Foreword magazine and read about those people.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 07-13: Dask for #Parallel Programming; Computationally generated Average Face - Sep 14, 2016.
Computationally generated Average Face; Dask for #Parallel Programming; The (Not So) New #DataScientist Venn Diagram; Human in #AI loop - #DeepLearning lets you take an image of a dress and show...
- Data Scientist Pay and Location: Indeed’s Tech Salary Report Overview - Sep 14, 2016.
An overview of Indeed.com's 2016 Tech Salary Report, and summary details of top cities for data-centric professions vis-a-vis adjusted salary.
- Top Algorithms and Methods Used by Data Scientists - Sep 12, 2016.
Latest KDnuggets poll identifies the list of top algorithms actually used by Data Scientists, finds surprises including the most academic and most industry-oriented algorithms.
- Top Stories, Sep 5-11: Beginners Guide To Convolutional Neural Networks; Big Data Dilemma: Save Money or Make Money - Sep 12, 2016.
Beginners Guide To Convolutional Neural Networks; Big Data Dilemma: Save Me Money Versus Make Me Money; The 10 Algorithms Machine Learning Engineers Need to Know; How to Become a Data Scientist
- KDnuggets part-time, paid internship in Data Science, Data Journalism - Sep 10, 2016.
KDnuggets is looking for graduate students in Business Analytics, Data Science or related topics for a part-time (5-10 hrs/week) paid internship, to help publish the site, do data journalism, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 31 – Sep 06: Everyone else data is smaller than you think - Sep 7, 2016.
Everyone else data is smaller than you think; Cartoon: Data Scientist - the sexiest job of the 21st century until ... ; Amazon gets new UK presence, hires top #MachineLearning researcher Neil Lawrence, his team.
- Up to Speed on Deep Learning: July Update, Part 2 - Sep 7, 2016.
Check out this second installation of deep learning stories that made news in July. See if there are any items of note you missed.
- Top August Stories: The 10 Algorithms Machine Learning Engineers Need to Know; How to Become a Data Scientist - Sep 6, 2016.
Also - A Beginner Guide to Neural Networks with R; Data Science for Beginners: Fantastic Introductory Video Series from Microsoft.
- Top Stories, Aug 29-Sep 4: How Convolutional Neural Networks Work; Activation Functions in Neural Networks - Sep 5, 2016.
How Convolutional Neural Networks Work; Activation Functions in Neural Networks; The 10 Algorithms Machine Learning Engineers Need to Know; How to Become a Data Scientist; Learning from Imbalanced Classes
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, August: Google Brain AMA, Image Completion with TensorFlow, Japanese Cucumber Farming - Sep 5, 2016.
Google Brain AMA; Image Completion with Deep Learning in TensorFlow; Japanese Cucumber Farming; Andrew Ng's machine learning class in Python; Google Brain datasets for robotics research
- Cartoon: Labor Day in the era of Robotics - Sep 5, 2016.
Amidst all the discussion about robots and automation taking over human jobs, new KDnuggets cartoon looks at how Labor Day can evolve by 2050.
- Data Science vs Crime: Detecting Pickpocket Suspects from Transit Records - Sep 1, 2016.
A team of US and Chinese researchers has creatively used massive data collected by automated fare collectors for identifying thieves in the public transit systems. The system was tested in Beijing and was able to identify 93% of known pickpockets.