2016 Dec News, Features
All (100) | Courses, Education (9) | Meetings (11) | News, Features (26) | Opinions, Interviews (31) | Software (3) | Tutorials, Overviews (18) | Webcasts & Webinars (2)
- A Funny Look at Big Data and Data Science - Dec 27, 2016.
A less than serious look at Big Data and Data Science. If you can laugh at all cartoons, then your Data Science skills are in good shape.
- Top Stories, Dec 19-25: Machine Learning & AI: Main Developments in 2016 and Key Trends in 2017; 4 Reasons Your Machine Learning Model is Wrong - Dec 27, 2016.
Machine Learning & AI: Main Developments in 2016 and Key Trends in 2017; 4 Reasons Your Machine Learning Model is Wrong (and How to Fix It); 50+ Data Science, Machine Learning Cheat Sheets; First Deep Learning for coders MOOC
- First Deep Learning for coders MOOC launched by Jeremy Howard - Dec 21, 2016.
Leading Data Scientist and entrepreneur Jeremy Howard launches a free Deep Learning course that shows end-to-end how to get state of the art results, including a top place in a Kaggle competition.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 14-20: False positives versus false negatives: Best explanation ever - Dec 21, 2016.
Also #MachineLearning, #AI experts: Main Developments 2016, Key Trends 2017; Official code repository for #MachineLearning with #TensorFlow book; Top 10 Essential Books for the #Data Enthusiast.
- Data Sources for Cool Data Science Projects - Dec 20, 2016.
One of the biggest obstacles to successful projects has been getting access to interesting data. Here are some more cool public data sources you can use for your next project.
- Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence: Main Developments in 2016 and Key Trends in 2017 - Dec 20, 2016.
As 2016 comes to a close and we prepare for a new year, check out the final instalment in our "Main Developments in 2016 and Key Trends in 2017" series, where experts weigh in with their opinions.
- New Poll: Can You Live with Ethics of Machine Learning and Self-Driving Cars? - Dec 19, 2016.
The difficult thing about Machine Learning Ethics is that it forces us to consider the harsh choices people sometimes have to make but don't want to think about. Here is one such situation - what is the right choice? Please vote.
- Top Stories, Dec 12-18: Data Science, Predictive Analytics 2016 Developments, 2017 Key Trends; 50+ Data Science, Machine Learning Cheat Sheets - Dec 19, 2016.
50+ Data Science, Machine Learning Cheat Sheets, updated; Data Science, Predictive Analytics Main Developments in 2016 and Key Trends for 2017; Bayesian Basics, Explained; Data Analytics Models in Quantitative Finance and Risk Management
- Industry Predictions: Key Trends in 2017 - Dec 16, 2016.
With 2017 almost upon us, KDnuggets brings you opinions from industry leaders as to what the relevant and most important 2017 key trends will be.
- Top 10 Amazon Books in Databases & Big Data, 2016 Edition - Dec 15, 2016.
Given the ongoing explosion in interest for all things Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, etc., we have updated our Amazon top books lists from last year. Here are the 10 most popular titles in the Databases & Big Data category.
- Top 2016 KDnuggets Stories: Must-Know Data Science Interview Q&A, 10 Algorithms Machine Learning Engineers Need to Know - Dec 15, 2016.
Also 20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists; Software used for Analytics, Data Science, Machine Learning projects; Top Algorithms and Methods Used by Data Scientists
- Artificial Intelligence and Life in 2030 - Dec 15, 2016.
Read this engaging overview of a report from the Stanford University 100 year study of Artificial Intelligence, “a long-term investigation of the field of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and its influences on people, their communities, and society.”
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 7-13: Want to learn Numpy? A Github repo of Numpy learning exercises - Dec 14, 2016.
Also Deep Learning Roadmap: "Which paper should I start reading from?"; Free ebooks: #MachineLearning with #Python and Practical Data Analysis; Daily plan for studying to become a Google software engineer.
- AI, Analytics, IoT, Blockchain: New York Life, Chubb and Assurant discuss technology integration - Dec 14, 2016.
AI, Analytics, IoT, Blockchain – do you know how all of this will fundamentally impact insurance? Get exclusive white paper based on private interviews with New York Life, Chubb and Assurant discussing the role of ever-changing insurance technology to their business.
- Data Science, Predictive Analytics Main Developments in 2016 and Key Trends for 2017 - Dec 13, 2016.
Key themes included the polling failures in 2016 US Elections, Deep Learning, IoT, greater focus on value and ROI, and increasing adoption of predictive analytics by the "masses" of industry.
- Achieving Human Parity in Conversational Speech Recognition - Dec 13, 2016.
This is an overview of the paper which outlines, for the first time, a system has been developed that exceeds human performance in one of the most difficult of all human speech recognition tasks: natural conversations held over the telephone.
- New Book: TensorFlow for Machine Intelligence – KDnuggets Holiday Offer - Dec 12, 2016.
TensorFlow for Machine Intelligence is a hands-on introduction to learning algorithms and the "TensorFlow book for humans." For a limited holiday special, KDnuggets readers get a 40% discount, available here.
- Top Stories, Dec 5-11: Why Deep Learning is Radically Different From Machine Learning; Data Science Trends To Look Out For In 2017 - Dec 12, 2016.
Why Deep Learning is Radically Different From Machine Learning; Data Science Trends To Look Out For In 2017; Bayesian Basics, Explained; Big Data: Main Developments in 2016 and Key Trends in 2017; 4 Cognitive Bias Key Points Data Scientists Need to Know
- Where Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science were applied in 2016 - Dec 12, 2016.
CRM/Consumer Analytics, Finance, and Banking are still the leading applications, but Anti-spam, Mobile apps, Travel/hospitality grew the most in 2016. Share of Health care, Consumer analytics, and Direct Marketing/ Fundraising data science applications declined for 2 years in a row.
- KDnuggets Top Blogs and Bloggers in November 2016 - Dec 8, 2016.
We recognize the best KDnuggets Bloggers who had the most popular blogs by views or social media shares in November 2016.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 30 – Dec 06: A great and useful collection of minimal and clean implementations of #MachineLearning algorithms - Dec 7, 2016.
Also: #MachineLearning Yearning book draft, Free Download, by Andrew Ng; A short guide to learn #NeuralNets, and maybe get famous and rich with #DeepLearning; Free Book: Foundations of Computer Science, Aho & Ullman.
- Top November Stories: Trump, Failure of Prediction, and Lessons for Data Scientists - Dec 6, 2016.
Also: How Bayesian Inference Works; Top 20 Python Machine Learning Open Source Projects, updated; Machine Learning vs Statistics
- Free ebooks: Machine Learning with Python and Practical Data Analysis - Dec 5, 2016.
Two free ebooks: "Building Machine Learning Systems with Python" and "Practical Data Analysis" will give your skills a boost and make a great start in the New Year.
- Top Stories, Nov 28-Dec 4: Machine Learning vs Statistics; Hard Thing About Deep Learning; Developers’ Machine Learning Intro - Dec 5, 2016.
Machine Learning vs Statistics; The hard thing about deep learning; Top 20 Python Machine Learning Open Source Projects, updated; Tips for Beginner Machine Learning/Data Scientists Feeling Overwhelmed; Introduction to Machine Learning for Developers
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, November: StarCraft II for AI Research; Google AI Experiments Website; Google in Montreal - Dec 5, 2016.
DeepMind and Blizzard to release StarCraft II as an AI research environment; Google AI Experiments Website; Google opens new Montreal-based AI research lab; Lip Reading Sentences in the Wild; Clean implementations of machine learning algorithms
- Academic/Research positions in Business Analytics, Data Science, Machine Learning in November 2016 - Dec 2, 2016.
Faculty/Postdoc positions in Data Science/Machine Learning at DePaul, UCSB, Virginia Tech, Barcelona U, Aarhus U, Georgia State U, U. of Innsbruck, Drexel, CMU, Oregon State U, Iowa State, and more.