2018 Jan Opinions, Interviews
All (108) | Courses, Education (11) | Meetings (8) | News, Features (11) | Opinions, Interviews (31) | Top Stories, Tweets (11) | Tutorials, Overviews (30) | Webcasts & Webinars (6)
- 2018 Data Science Salary Survey Report - Jan 31, 2018.
Throughout 2017, we conducted an online salary survey open to a range of data science professionals in order to capture data to help us better understand the market.
- How to Make Life Easy for a Newly Hired Data Scientist - Jan 30, 2018.
In this post, I am going to describe the life of a newly hired data scientist. The use case is that the data scientist is given a project where he needs to build an online learning model.
- Automated Text Classification Using Machine Learning - Jan 30, 2018.
In this post, we talk about the technology, applications, customization, and segmentation related to our automated text classification API.
- My Journey into Deep Learning - Jan 30, 2018.
In this post I’ll share how I’ve been studying Deep Learning and using it to solve data science problems. It’s an informal post but with interesting content (I hope).
- Data Scientist – best job in America, 3 years in a row - Jan 29, 2018.
For the third year in a row, Data Scientist was ranked as the no. 1 job in America by Glassdoor.
- Error Analysis to your Rescue – Lessons from Andrew Ng, part 3 - Jan 29, 2018.
The last entry in a series of posts about Andrew Ng's lessons on strategies to follow when fixing errors in your algorithm
- Data Science vs Addiction: Estimating Opioid Abuse by Location - Jan 26, 2018.
Data science can help find the optimal locations for drug treatment facilities, even in the face of major data challenges.
- Exclusive Interview: Doug Laney on Big Data and Infonomics - Jan 25, 2018.
We discuss 3Vs of Big Data; Infonomics and many aspects of monetizing information including promising analytics methods, successful companies, main challenges; Information marketplaces and why data ownership concept is misguided, and more.
- Four Big Data Trends for 2018 - Jan 25, 2018.
Curious about the future of Big Data and AI? Here’s what the trends have it in 2018 for innovations.
- Want to Become a Data Scientist? Try Feynman Technique - Jan 24, 2018.
Get over the impostor syndrome by developing a strong understanding about the various Data Science topics using the Feynman Technique
- Machine Learning Model Metrics - Jan 23, 2018.
In this article we explore how to calculate machine learning model metrics, using the example of fraud detection. We'll see lots of different ways that we can try to understand just how good our learned model is.
- Data Science in 30 minutes, Artificial General Intelligence, and Answers to your Questions - Jan 22, 2018.
I recently was on a "Data Science in 30 minutes webcast", but there were interesting ideas and questions we did not have time to cover adequately. Here is a summary.
- Comparing Machine Learning as a Service: Amazon, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud AI - Jan 22, 2018.
A complete and unbiased comparison of the three most common Cloud Technologies for Machine Learning as a Service.
- Plot2txt for quantitative image analysis - Jan 19, 2018.
Plot2txt converts images into text and other representations, helping create semi-structured data from binary, using a combination of machine learning and other algorithms.
- Visual Aesthetics: Judging photo quality using AI techniques - Jan 18, 2018.
We built a deep learning system that can automatically analyze and score an image for aesthetic quality with high accuracy. Check the demo and see your photo measures up!
- The Value of Semi-Supervised Machine Learning - Jan 17, 2018.
This post shows you how to label hundreds of thousands of images in an afternoon. You can use the same approach whether you are labeling images or labeling traditional tabular data (e.g, identifying cyber security atacks or potential part failures).
- Topological Data Analysis for Data Professionals: Beyond Ayasdi - Jan 16, 2018.
We review recent developments and tools in topological data analysis, including applications of persistent homology to psychometrics and a recent extension of piecewise regression, called Morse-Smale regression.
- Is Learning Rate Useful in Artificial Neural Networks? - Jan 15, 2018.
This article will help you understand why we need the learning rate and whether it is useful or not for training an artificial neural network. Using a very simple Python code for a single layer perceptron, the learning rate value will get changed to catch its idea.
- Local AI Inferencing Will Become Standard In Edge Applications In 2018 - Jan 12, 2018.
Edge-based inferencing will become a foundation of all AI-infused applications in the Internet of Things and People and the majority of new IoT&P application-development projects will involve building the AI-driven smarts for deployment to edge devices for various levels of local sensor-driven inferencing.
- Beyond Word2Vec Usage For Only Words - Jan 11, 2018.
A good example on how to use word2vec in order to get recommendations fast and efficiently.
- How Not To Lie With Statistics - Jan 11, 2018.
Darrell Huff's classic How to Lie with Statistics is perhaps more relevant than ever. In this short article, I revisit this theme from some different angles.
- Top 10 TED Talks for Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers - Jan 10, 2018.
A comprehensive and diverse compilation of TED talks to understand the big picture of AI and Machine Learning.
- The Art of Learning Data Science - Jan 9, 2018.
A beginner’s account of getting into comfort zone of learning Data Science.
- Becoming a Data Scientist - Jan 9, 2018.
This article contains a lot of links to resources that I think are very helpful in getting you started to "think like a data scientist" which in my opinion is the most important step of the transition. I hope that you find this useful.
- After the “Meltdown,” How Can You Protect Your Database? - Jan 8, 2018.
- Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) in less than 50 years, say KDnuggets readers - Jan 5, 2018.
Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) will likely be achieved in less than 50 years, according to latest KDnuggets Poll. The median estimate from all regions was 21-50 years, except in Asia where AGI is expected in 11-20 years.
- How to build a Successful Advanced Analytics Department - Jan 4, 2018.
This article presents our opinions and suggestions on how an Advanced Analytics department should operate. We hope this will be useful for those who want to implement analytics work in their company, as well as for existing departments.
- How Nonprofits Can Benefit from the Power of Data Science - Jan 3, 2018.
Nonprofits can use analytics to boost their fundraising efforts, measure and monitor the impact of their activities, build predictive models, optimize allocation of funds, and more
- Back to the Future: 2018 Big Data and Data Science Prognostications - Jan 3, 2018.
It’s really hard to find predictions about the future made in the 1950’s. I decided to review the most popular sci-fi movies from 1950’s, and provide my perspective as to what these movies might tell us about 2018.
- Everything Changes: A Human Perspective on Digitization - Jan 2, 2018.
An insightful, thought-provoking article on digital disruption and evolution of technology.
- Why understanding of truth is important in Data Science? - Jan 1, 2018.
Data Science can be used to discover correlations (What phenomena occurred) but cannot be used to establish causality (Why the phenomena occurred).