Where Analytics, Data Science, Machine Learning Were Applied: Trends and Analysis
CRM/Consumer Analytics, Finance, and Banking are still the leading applications, but Health Care and Fraud Detection are gaining. Anti-spam, Manufacturing, and Social are the fastest growing sectors in 2017, while Oil / Gas / Energy and Social Networks analysis have declined.
Industries / Fields where you applied Analytics, Data Science, Machine Learning in 2017?
Top 3 most popular areas were the same, with almost the same share as last year. Health care moved to no. 4 position from no. 5, and Fraud Detection up to no. 5 position from no. 7
- CRM/Consumer analytics, 16.8% (was 16.3% in 2016)
- Finance, 15.2% (was 15.0%)
- Banking, 14.1% (was 13.4%)
- Health care, 13.2% (was 12.0%)
- Fraud Detection, 13.0% (was 11.1%)
Fig. 1: Where Analytics, Data Science, Machine Learning were applied in 2016 and 2017 - KDnuggets Polls
The icon color is greener if sector share increased in 2017 vs 2016 (red if decreased), and shape corresponds to changes over 2 years: Up triangle if share went up 2 years in a row by more than 1%, down triangle if went down 2 years by more than 1%, and circle otherwise.
Comparing to 2016 Poll: where you applied Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science in 2016?, we find the biggest increases, computed as (pct2017 - pct2016) / pct2016, were for
- Junk email / Anti-spam, up 106%, to 2.2% in 2017 from 1.1% in 2016
- Manufacturing, up 60%, to 9.0% from 5.6%
- Social Good/Non-profit, up 35%, to 2.7% from 2.0%
- Education, up 33%, to 9.4% from 7.1%
- Medical/ Pharma, up 31%, to 8.5% from 6.5%
- Supply Chain, up 31%, to 8.5% from 6.5%
- HR/workforce analytics, up 30%, to 4.7% from 3.6%
- Mobile apps, down -59%, to 1.3% from 3.3%
- Investment / Stocks, down -45%, to 3.4% from 6.2%
- Security / Anti-terrorism, down -42%, to 1.6% from 2.7%
- Entertainment/ Music/ TV/ Movies, down -32%, to 2.7% from 4.0%
- Telecom / Cable, down -30%, to 5.8% from 8.3%
In this poll we had 446 participants, compared to 552 in poll on 2016 applications, and 350 for 2015 poll.
The three-year comparison shows relative stability in share of applications for most of areas and also an increasing diversity of applications.
Only 2 sectors showed increase of 10% or more for 2 years in a row:
- Junk email / Anti-spam
- Fraud Detection
- Oil / Gas / Energy
- Social Media / Social Networks