2019 Jul Opinions
All (94) | Meetings (4) | News (8) | Opinions (25) | Top Stories, Tweets (11) | Tutorials, Overviews (44) | Webcasts & Webinars (2)
- Can we trust AutoML to go on full autopilot? - Jul 31, 2019.
We put an AutoML tool to the test on a real-world problem, and the results are surprising. Even with automatic machine learning, you still need expert data scientists.
- Decentralized and Collaborative AI: How Microsoft Research is Using Blockchains to Build More Transparent Machine Learning Models - Jul 29, 2019.
Recently, AI researchers from Microsoft open sourced the Decentralized & Collaborative AI on Blockchain project that enables the implementation of decentralized machine learning models based on blockchain technologies.
- Top 13 Skills To Become a Rockstar Data Scientist - Jul 26, 2019.
Education, coding, SQL, big data platforms, storytelling and more. These are the 13 skills you need to master to become a rockstar data scientist.
- Fantastic Four of Data Science Project Preparation - Jul 26, 2019.
This article takes a closer look at the four fantastic things we should keep in mind when approaching every new data science project.
- Is SQL needed to be a data scientist? - Jul 25, 2019.
As long as there is ‘data’ in data scientist, Structured Query Language (or see-quel as we call it) will remain an important part of it. In this blog, let us explore data science and its relationship with SQL.
- Neural Code Search: How Facebook Uses Neural Networks to Help Developers Search for Code Snippets - Jul 24, 2019.
Developers are always searching for answers to questions about their code. But how do they ask the right questions? Facebook is creating new NLP neural networks to help search code repositories that may advance information retrieval algorithms.
- 12 Things I Learned During My First Year as a Machine Learning Engineer - Jul 23, 2019.
Learn about the day-in-the-life of one machine learning engineer and the important lessons learned for being successful in that role.
- Is Bias in Machine Learning all Bad? - Jul 23, 2019.
We have been taught over our years of predictive model building that bias will harm our model. Bias control needs to be in the hands of someone who can differentiate between the right kind and wrong kind of bias.
- The title CDO started out as a joke - Jul 22, 2019.
How did the role of Chief Data Officer come to drive data literacy at companies around the world? Find out how it all began in this interview with the first who held the title at Yahoo!
- What’s the Best Data Strategy for Enterprises: Build, buy, partner or acquire? - Jul 22, 2019.
Every large organization is investing heavily in building data solutions and tools. They are building data solutions from scratch when they could be taking advantage of readily available tools and solutions. Many organizations are re-inventing the wheel and wasting resources.
- Things I Learned From the SciPy 2019 Lightning Talks - Jul 22, 2019.
This post summarizes the interesting aspects of the Day One of the SciPy 2019 lightning talks, a flash round of a dozen ~3 minute talks covering a wide variety of topics.
- Rethinking Mentoring In Data Science - Jul 19, 2019.
In recent years, I have heard the conversation of “find a mentor, you need a mentor to advance your career.” I received numerous requests from readers around the world to be their mentor. These requests encouraged me to think more closely about mentorship and the general expectations in the data science community.
- How to Build Disruptive Data Science Teams: 10 Best Practices - Jul 16, 2019.
Building a data science team from the ground up isn't easy. This strategic roadmap will help hiring managers with tactical advice and how to properly support a data science team once established.
- Things I Have Learned About Data Science - Jul 16, 2019.
Read this collection of 38 things the author has learned along his travels, and has opted to share for the benefit of the reader.
- Secrets to a Successful Data Science Interview - Jul 15, 2019.
Are you puzzled as to what to prepare for data science interviews? That you are reading this document is a reflection of your seriousness in being a successful data scientist.
- Top 10 Data Science Leaders You Should Follow - Jul 12, 2019.
If you’re in the data science field, I strongly encourage you to follow these giants— which I’ll list down in the section below — and be a part of our data science community to learn from the best and share your experience and knowledge.
- The Death of Big Data and the Emergence of the Multi-Cloud Era - Jul 11, 2019.
The Era of Big Data is coming to an end as the focus shifts from how we collect data to processing that data in real-time. Big Data is now a business asset supporting the next eras of multi-cloud support, machine learning, and real-time analytics.
- How to Showcase the Impact of Your Data Science Work - Jul 10, 2019.
You're a Data Scientist -- or preparing to land your first job -- and communicating your work to others, especially employers, so they understand your impact is essential. These five tips will help you help others appreciate your data science.
- What’s wrong with the approach to Data Science? - Jul 10, 2019.
The job ‘Data Scientist’ has been around for decades, it was just not called “Data Scientist”. Statisticians have used their knowledge and skills using machine learning techniques such as Logistic Regression and Random Forest for prediction and insights for longer than people actually realize.
- Why you’re not a job-ready data scientist (yet) - Jul 9, 2019.
Trying to snag a dream Data Science job, but can't seem to land one? Check out these four skills that companies really want and be prepared for your next interview.
- How Data Science Is Used Within the Film Industry - Jul 5, 2019.
As Data Science is becoming pervasive across so many industries, Hollywood is certainly not being left behind. Learn about how Big Data, analytics, and AI are now core drivers of the movies we watch and how we watch them.
- Cartoon: AI + Self-Driving + BBQ = ? - Jul 4, 2019.
KDnuggets Cartoon looks at what happens when AI and self-driving technology collide with the traditional summer pastime of grilling.
- Nvidia’s New Data Science Workstation — a Review and Benchmark - Jul 3, 2019.
Nvidia has recently released their Data Science Workstation, a PC that puts together all the Data Science hardware and software into one nice package. The workstation is a total powerhouse machine, packed with all the computing power — and software — that’s great for plowing through data.
- What’s the Machine Learning Engineering Job Like - Jul 1, 2019.
As a relatively new position, the day in the life of a machine learning engineer or data scientist is still a bit fluid. Find out what is like from people working today at Airbnb, SurveyMonkey, and Instagram.
- A Data Scientist’s Path to Understanding Market Simulation - Jul 1, 2019.
Made possible by recent advances in computing power and machine learning, market simulation employs agent-based modeling, behavioral science and network science to recreate the complex dynamics and rules of how a population of people in a given market behave, influence each other and make decisions.