2020 Apr Opinions
All (89) | Events (6) | News, Education (6) | Opinions (14) | Top Stories, Tweets (10) | Tutorials, Overviews (53)
- Exploring the Impact of Geographic Information Systems - Apr 30, 2020.
GIS has mostly been behind more popular buzzwords like machine learning and deep learning. GIS has always been around us in the background being used in government, business, medicine, real estate, transport, manufacturing etc.
- 3 Reasons Why We Are Far From Achieving Artificial General Intelligence - Apr 23, 2020.
How far we are from achieving Artificial General Intelligence? We answer this through the study of three limitations of current machine learning.
- Should Data Scientists Model COVID19 and other Biological Events - Apr 22, 2020.
Biostatisticians use statistical techniques that your current everyday data scientists have probably never heard of. This is a great example where lack of domain knowledge exposes you as someone that does not know what they are doing and are merely hopping on a trend.
- 4 Realistic Career Options for Data Scientists - Apr 21, 2020.
It’s almost 10 years since "Data Science" became mainstream. We ask less about how to get into Data Science, but wonder "what’s next?" This article includes insights on four non-trivial, but practical, options and their pitfalls.
- A Key Missing Part of the Machine Learning Stack - Apr 20, 2020.
With many organizations having machine learning models running in production, some are discovering that inefficiencies exists in the first step of the process: feature definition and extraction. Robust feature management is now being realized as a key missing part of the ML stack, and improving it by applying standard software development practices is gaining attention.
- 4 Steps to ensure your AI/Machine Learning system survives COVID-19 - Apr 17, 2020.
Many AI models rely on historical data to make predictions on future behavior. So, what happens when consumer behavior across the planet makes a 180 degree flip? Companies are quickly seeing less value from some AI systems as training data is no longer relevant when user behaviors and preferences change so drastically. Those who are flexible can make it through this crisis in data, and these four techniques will help you stay in front of the competition.
- Can Java Be Used for Machine Learning and Data Science? - Apr 14, 2020.
While Python and R have become favorites for building these programs, many organizations are turning to Java application development to meet their needs. Read on to see how, and why.
- Forecasting Stories 2: The Power of a Seasonality Index - Apr 14, 2020.
Read this second entry in a series on time series analysis and seasonality, and see how, through 2 simple use cases, the power of a seasonality index is uncovered.
- Successful Use Cases of Artificial Intelligence for Businesses - Apr 10, 2020.
AI is contributing to the businesses in a huge way. For specifics, check out these successful use cases of AI for business.
- How Data Science Is Being Used to Understand COVID-19 - Apr 10, 2020.
Read this overview to gain an understanding of how data scientists are working hard to learn as much about COVID-19 as they can.
- 5 Ways Data Scientists Can Help Respond to COVID-19 and 5 Actions to Avoid - Apr 6, 2020.
How can data scientists help with the COVID-19 response within their organization and more broadly? While there are many valuable and interesting opportunities to apply your skills, there can be unintended consequences even from your best attempt. So, consider this general advice for data scientists who want to help with this and any disaster response.
- Why you should NOT use MS MARCO to evaluate semantic search - Apr 2, 2020.
If we want to investigate the power and limitations of semantic vectors (pre-trained or not), we should ideally prioritize datasets that are less biased towards term-matching signals. This piece shows that the MS MARCO dataset is more biased towards those signals than we expected and that the same issues are likely present in many other datasets due to similar data collection designs.
- Cartoon: AI understanding of Coronavirus - Apr 1, 2020.
Here is a cartoon to distract you, showing a new level of understanding AI could reach.
- I Don’t Believe in Electrons - Apr 1, 2020.
What does it mean to believe in science? Does this notion of belief even make sense, or are scientists just supposed to be skeptics that question everything for all time, until we somehow arrive at some notion of Truth? And, what is science, anyway?