U. of Antwerp: Data Science Professor
The Faculty of Sciences is seeking tenured academic staff in the area of data science/big data management in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science. Applications closing date March 22, 2015.
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Position: Data Science Professor
The Faculty of Sciences is seeking to fill the following (100%) vacancy in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science:
tenured academic staff in the area of data science/big data management (2015ZAPFWETEX026)
- You will be part of the Advanced Database Research and Modelling (ADReM) research group;
- You will expand the scientific research in the area of data science/big data management;
- You will be assigned following lecturing duties: Introduction to Programming (1st Bachelor, 9 credits, 90h), Introduction to databases (2nd Bachelor, 6 credits, 60h), Web Information Systems (Master, 6 credits, 60h), and one course in the Master in Data Science matching your area of expertise (6 credits, 60h);
- You will acquire and manage external funding (national and international);
- You will offer scientific services: as program committee member of international conferences, as editor of journals, as organizer of conferences;
- You will offer academic services to the Departement of Mathematics and Computer Science, the Faculty of Science, and the University.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in exact or engineering sciences: Computer Science, Informatics of a related discipline;
- You have several years of experience in a position of postdoctoral researcher or equivalent;
- You have international experience;
- You have a proven track record in the areas of databases, data mining, big data algorithms and/or information retrieval;
- You have expertise in current issues in data science/big data management and have the drive to address them at a fundamental level.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university;
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy;
- You have leadership skills (or the potential to develop them);
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative;
- You can meet the statutory language requirements for both the knowledge of the teaching language and the administrative language, Dutch. The University of Antwerp provides the necessary support.
- Commensurate with the experience and the academic qualifications:
- Either a full-time position as a lecturer, in a temporary appointment in the tenure track for a term of five years. This position will lead to an immediate permanent appointment as a senior lecturer if the performance is assessed favourably on the basis of previously fixed and publicly announced evaluation criteria.
- Or a full-time position as a senior lecturer or higher, generally entailing a permanent appointment. In the case of a first appointment to the corps of academic personnel (ZAP), the university board may proceed to a temporary appointment for a period not exceeding three years. This position will lead to a permanent appointment if the performance is assessed favourably.
- The date of appointment will be September 1st, 2015;
- A gross monthly salary ranging for lecturer from € 4 009,52 till € 5 910,19; and for senior lecturer from € 4 591,43 till € 7 213,07;
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online until the closing date March 22, 2015;
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel;
- More information about the application form can be obtained from Ben Daems (Tel. +32 (0)3 265 31 51);
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Floris Geerts ([email protected], Tel. +32 (0)3 265 39 07, or Prof. Bart Goethals ([email protected], Tel. +32( 0)3 265 33 09.