Company: Microsoft China R&D Group, Online Services Division
Location: Beijing, China
Apply online, job ID 735137
Bing Search's mission: To deliver the most relevant knowledge to our customers by being more than just a search engine - Bing's goal is to be "decision engine". To achieve that mission data is critical. At Bing, we have enormous wealth of data, ranging from user interaction logs to web documents, from user feedback to system performance data.
The Bing Data Mining Team is hiring extremely talented, highly motivated and productive individuals with expertise in the areas of analytics, statistics, machine learning, and data mining. The team develops and applies advanced techniques to turn our petabytes of data into insights; and to drive actions based on those insights. The team works closely with teams across Bing search to enable rigorous, effective and data-driven decision making.
At the core of our team's mission is using data to understand users. Some example of the challenges we face:
- Understanding how users interact with different search features and how these features affect users' behaviors,
- understand user intent,
- detecting and filtering bot traffic,
- measuring user satisfaction, and
- analyzing the results of extremely large-scale experiments.
At Bing, we can offer you a strong team, exciting challenges, and a fun place to work. The work environment empowers you to have a real impact on millions of end users. This is also a unique opportunity to work with world-class researchers and developers. Join us and be at the forefront of search technology!
We are extending our DM team to Beijing hosted in the Search Technology Center Asia. You will be part of the talented team in Beijing for analyzing user engagement on Search and other Microsoft online services, researching/exploring and developing tools for data analysis and mining.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Apply data mining and statistics to measuring and understanding the search user experience and feature engagement.
- Generate actionable insights for improving search systems and increasing user satisfaction.
- Take high-level questions and analyze data to find answers to those questions.
- Research and develop solutions for providing high quality data (e.g. system health, performance measurement, bot & spam traffic identification, outlier detection, etc.).
- Work with team across Bing search to identify problem where data mining, machine learning, or statistics can help. Explore and develop solutions to these problems.
- Act as an expert in the area of data mining, machine learning, statistics, analytics.
- Design and carry out experiments to evaluate research results.
- Provide technical leadership to others in the Bing Data Mining team.
- Build high quality infrastructure and data mining and analysis solution
- Bachelor degree and an advanced degree (Master, PhD) in data mining, computer sciences, statistics, machine learning, mathematics, or related field (or the equivalent combination of education and experience).
- Extensive knowledge and experience in two or more of the following areas: statistics, data analysis, data mining, web mining, machine learning, business intelligence & customer intelligence, user modeling, information retrieval, databases, data warehousing, OLAP, data processing (ETL), e-metrics/measurement, parallel and distributed computation
- Strong ability to apply your statistics, mathematical and algorithmic expertise to solve real problems.
- Experience in analyzing very large real world datasets (esp. web data) preferable.
- Experience in data analysis and statistical tools (e.g. R, SAS, or SPSS).
- Superior communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Hands-on approach to data analysis and a strong focus on quality.
- Ability to work independently and in a team to develop innovative solutions.
- Programming skills and experience (e.g. C/C++/C#/SQL).