Company: Dow Chemical
Location: Midland, MI
Advanced Analytics Modeling Resource (Statistics Emphasis)
This role has been created to assist businesses and functions in the use of mathematics for decision support. There are two basic frameworks to support - data mining and mathematical modeling. Data mining is generally used, from a Six Sigma perspective, in Opportunity Identification projects. Mathematical modeling is used for a specific point in time or ongoing decision when risk, uncertainty and/or complexity are self evident. At Dow, the application of the math models is intended to reduce risk, describe uncertainty and understand complexity. This position requires a PhD in statistics.
This individual will provide the technical expertise necessary to perform a detailed mathematical analysis of various critical Business problems. The purpose of these analyses is to build a specific mathematical model to answer a particular value creating opportunity for Dow. This individual should be able to work effectively in an independent manner with minimal direct supervision, be highly self-motivated, a good communicator and be a team player sharing knowledge and solving problems with other advanced degreed individuals.
Specifically the candidate should be able to:
- Acquire working knowledge of statistical and machine learning tools and techniques identified for data mining and modeling applications. To accomplish this, specific training in data mining and modeling techniques and prior experience in statistical, machine learning and operations research techniques is required.
- Assure alignment of Advanced Analytics activity with Business or Functional Strategy/priorities (e.g. MI Plan) with input from relevant leadership.
- Identify and document systems to be studied, identify relevant databases for targeted mining efforts, and determine and validate quality of needed data in those databases.
- Perform necessary pre-processing and harmonization of data to create a modeling data set utilizing the most effective methods available.
- Select the proper mathematical method(s) for the problem at hand.
- Select the proper technology to implement the method/problem at hand.
- Perform detailed machine learning, statistical analysis or operations research analysis of targeted databases for the purpose of opportunity identification/discovery or specific decision making.
- For Opportunity Identification, gather baseline data required to ground/support opportunity so that Local Champion can draft preliminary project charters. For each charter, provide links to databases mined to identify the opportunity.
- For Math Modeling in decision support, deploy the model in a user friendly environment and provide assessment of the quality of the model and tracking therein.
- PhD in Statistics is required
- Training and/or experience in Machine Learning and Business Analytics is a plus