Company: Obama 2012 Presidential Campaign
Location: Chicago, IL
The Obama for America Analytics Department analyzes the campaign's data to guide election strategy and develop quantitative, actionable insights that drive our decision-making. Our team's products help direct work on the ground, online and on the air.
We are looking for Predictive Modeling/Data Mining Scientists and Analysts, at both the senior and junior level, to join our department through November 2012 at our Chicago Headquarters. We are a multi-disciplinary team of statisticians, predictive modelers, data mining experts, mathematicians, software developers, general analysts and organizers - all striving for a single goal: re-electing President Obama.
Using statistical predictive modeling, the Democratic Party's comprehensive political database, and publicly available data, modeling analysts are charged with predicting the behavior of the American electorate. These models will be instrumental in helping the campaign determine which voters to target for turnout and persuasion efforts, where to buy advertising and how to best approach digital media.
Our Modeling Analysts will dive head-first into our massive data to solve some of our most critical online and offline challenges. We will analyze millions of interactions a day, learning from terabytes of historical data, running thousands of experiments, to inform campaign strategy and critical decisions.
- Develop and build statistical/predictive/machine learning models to assist in field, digital media, paid media and fundraising operations
- Assess the performance of previous models and determine when these models should be updated
- Design and execute experiments to test the applicability and validity of these models in the field
- Create metrics to assess performance of various campaign tactics
- Collaborate with the data team to improve existing database and suggest new data sources
- Work with stakeholders to identify other research needs and priorities
- B.S degree (M.S/PhD for scientist and senior positions) in statistics, machine learning, mathematics, quantitative methods, computer science, or related field
- Experience with political, Nielsen/Arbitron, fundraising or digital media & online advertising data
- Application of advanced statistical, machine learning, and/or data mining techniques (i.e. classification, clustering, association mining, forecasting), to real-world problems with massive data
- Experience with text data, search, natural language processing, social media analytics is a plus - we're also hiring for text mining positions.
- Proven creativity and problem-solving skills
Applicants must have demonstrated, extensive experience (professional or academic) with any major statistical or data mining package (R, STATA, SPSS, SAS, Enterprise Miner, Matlab, KNIME, Weka). Other desired software skills would include:
- Any SQL-based query language (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.)
- Programming skills desirable but not required for all positions (C#, C++, Java, Python, Ruby, Perl)
- Strong MS Excel skills also desired
Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention kdnuggets.
Obama for America is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. Obama for America is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. Obama for America will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.