Knewton is building the world's most powerful adaptive learning engine, with the goal of making personalized and engaging education available to all.
Location: New York, NY
Located in the heart of Manhattan, Knewton is building the world's most powerful adaptive learning engine, with the goal of making personalized and engaging education available to all. Knewton has been recognized as a Technology Pioneer by the World Economic Forum in Davos and one of the top 25 best places to work by Crain's New York Business. Knewton's funding partners include high-profile investors like Peter Thiel, Reid Hoffman, and publishing giant Pearson.
As a Data Scientist at Knewton, you'll be analyzing and extracting insights from one of the world's most interesting data sets. You will work with decision makers across the company to provide actionable, data-driven answers to their most challenging problems.
This is an outstanding opportunity to:
- Work with and learn from leading engineers and data scientists
- Provide analysis that informs key decisions regarding technical and product direction of the company
- Work with one of the world's largest educational datasets while answering previously unanswerable questions
- 1+ years experience with quantitative analysis and accompanying tools such as R, Python, and Matplotlib
- 1+ years experience with database technologies such as SQL
- Solid programming experience utilizing Java, C, C++ or Python
- Strong passion for empirical research and both posing and answering hard questions from/with data
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analyses in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- A passion for transforming education
- Experience working with large, messy data sets, and in ETL, or analogous processes, to acquire and transform data into a useful, maintainable, reusable, and accessible form
- Understanding and experience implementing processes needed to ensure quality -- Track record of clean analyses validated with assumptions and pitfalls explicitly noted
- Ability to take research questions and construct analysis to answer them with little input from lead/manager
- Competitive salary and stock options
- As much paid vacation as you need to take
- Flexible hours
- High-quality workstation (default setup: a Mac retina laptop with a giant monitor)
Perks include huge monitors, the latest Macs, a kitchen filled with your favorite treats, flexible hours, unlimited paid time off, frequent guest speakers, excellent health benefits, equity and a chance to do meaningful, cutting edge work in a dynamic environment.
100 Fifth Ave, New York, NY 10011