Research Team – Research Engineer
Castlight research team needs a data savvy engineer who's passionate about fixing the US healthcare system, likes learning new technologies, or already knows Greenplum, Postgres, R, Scala, Ruby, and Java. Someone who wants to build algorithms, scale systems, mine and analyze data.
Company: Castlight Health
Location: San Francisco, CA
Castlight's research team needs a data savvy engineer who's passionate about fixing the US healthcare system. Someone who likes learning new technologies, or already knows Greenplum, Postgres, R, Scala, Ruby, and Java. Someone who wants to build algorithms, scale systems, mine and analyze data, write complex DB queries, and build machinery that is fault tolerant; then, build testing, reporting, and interfaces to demonstrate how awesome your work is.
The research engineer will support development of new features and products related to healthcare services pricing, benefit design and utilization. You will build systems to crunch through and make sense of huge healthcare datasets. You will be enhance and support our analytics engine, one that scales with our ever-growing data volume. You will help with development and validation of new algorithms that enhance our system in terms of scalability, reliability and accuracy.
To succeed in this role, you don't need a background in health care, but you need a passion for learning new technologies. You should be interested in solving really tough problems and pragmatic enough to figure out what can be solved now and what should be saved for later. Since our analytics engine is stats driven, you must want to work with machine learning and math. We are passionate about building things the right way, you must an innate desire to fix things that don't seem right and keep our process as streamlined as possible.
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related field
- At least a year of experience in applying data mining and stats driven techniques to business problems and 1-5 years of experience working on production-level software
- Knowledge of SQL databases.
- Good knowledge of some of these: Ruby, Rails, MySQL, Postgres, Java, Linux, R, Capistrano, Big Data
- '#1 Venture-Backed Company' - Wall Street Journal
- 'A name you need to know in 2011' - Forbes
Castlight Health is revolutionizing health care by bringing transparency to health care costs and quality.
We have developed a breakthrough solution for employers and health plans to deliver personalized price, quality, and convenience information to enable consumers to reduce their out-of-pocket costs of health care-and it's getting better all the time! We're looking for exceptional individuals to join our rapidly growing team to make this vision a reality.
What We're All About
We are committed to being a great company where people want to work as well as delivering measurable value to our customers and users. We recruit and retain people who embrace the following ideals:
- Passion: We seek people who are passionate about making a difference in health care, improving the product and services we deliver, and building high-performing teams.
- Accountability: We give our people opportunities to take on new challenges and continue to learn and grow. We hold each other to high standards of accountability as individuals and teams.
- Respect and Integrity: Transparency is a central theme of our commitment to each other, our customers, and our business vision. We treat all interactions with respect and integrity, and we support respectful debate within the company.
- Customer and user-centered approach: We must always balance our customers' requests and our users' needs. We look for ways to optimize both in our product and service priorities.