Senior Communications Officer
Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives. This role will produce the next version of gatesfoundation.org website, and help develop a digital analytics approach.
Company: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Location: Seattle, WA
Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives. In developing countries, it focuses on improving people's health and giving them the chance to lift themselves out of hunger and extreme poverty. In the United States, it seeks to ensure that all people-especially those with the fewest resources-have access to the opportunities they need to succeed in school and life. Based in Seattle, the foundation is led by CEO Jeff Raikes and co-chair William H. Gates Sr., under the direction of Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett.
The foundation has the unique opportunity to connect grantees, policymakers, influential thinkers, and end beneficiaries via our social networks and digital platforms. We are looking for an individual who will ensure that the foundation's website and other digital channels are advancing the foundation's objectives.
This role will produce the next version of the foundation's website, gatesfoundation.org, acting as liaison with IT colleagues when it comes to new feature roll-outs. Working closely with the website's managing editor, he or she will be responsible for project managing, prioritizing, and planning the website's features and enhancements.
In addition, this role will help develop a digital analytics approach to ensure that ongoing digital strategies are informed by accurate data. Specifically, this role will gather and interpret data from a variety of tools (Simply Measured, Omniture, etc.), analyze audience and engagement metrics, working with the website editor, blog editor, and social media community managers to infuse their work with real-time context and optimize based on data-based analysis.
This role reports to the SCO, New Media. Specific responsibilities include:
- Management of the technical aspects of external-facing properties, including the foundation's website (www.gatesfoundation.org) and blog (www.impatientoptimists.org). A background in technical production and website/digital/social analysis is required.
- Responsibility for the long-range website and blog platform strategy, ownership for the "features road map," and managing of internal and external partners to execute the "features road map."
- Daily publishing on a website run on a Microsoft technology. SiteCore background is a plus, but the ability to learn new technologies and platforms quickly and with enthusiasm is most important.
- Ability to design and implement a flexible measurement framework-scorecards, dashboards, etc.--for digital and social media activities. Flexibility in an approach to that framework, modifying as necessary so that it can be responsive to the ongoing needs of the organization.
- The creation of ongoing reporting, generated by the individual in this position, to improve the foundation's digital properties, maximizing impact and suggesting course corrections.
- Weekly and monthly presentations of key findings to stakeholders throughout the organization and among our wider network of partners and grantees, demonstrating thought leadership when it comes to measuring impact.
- Contributions to program - and foundation-wide learning and improvement about social media more generally, and measurement and metrics specifically.
- Minimum of eight years of relevant professional work experience in website/digital/social media management and in applying metrics to strategic decisions .
- Experience with product management, including partnership with multiple internal and external service providers, highly desirable.
- Strong written skills and speaking ability. Familiarity with AP style a plus.
- Broad experience using and implementing web analytics and media measurement tools, such as social media measurement (Radian6, Simply Measured), social network analysis, web analytics (Omniture, Google Analytics) and or hybrid/syndicated sources (Nielsen, Comscore) .
- Strong project management and consultative skills and ability to work as part of a team with flexibility, efficiency, enthusiasm, diplomacy, and humor in an evolving, fast-paced and matrixed work environment.
- Exposure to project management skills, tools, and techniques a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to the foundation's core values, mission, and programs and to serving our grantees.
- Experience in global social media campaigns and/or websites, particularly those with reach into emerging economies and/or the developing world highly desirable.
Please apply to bit.ly/VInYND
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check. It is the policy of The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons.