Data Scientist, Design Graph
Join a brand new team developing the next generation of machine intelligence and analytical tools focused at the complex data world of designing and creating buildings, airplanes, movies and pretty much anything you can touch.
Location: San Francisco, CA
Job Number: 13WD13020
Autodesk is looking for a skilled and dynamic Data Scientist to join a brand new team developing the next generation of machine intelligence and analytical tools focused at the complex data world of designing and creating buildings, airplanes, movies and pretty much anything you can touch!
The Data Scientist will report into the Emerging Products & Technologies organization focused at developing new disruptive technologies that transform the way we serve our customers and their experiences. A successful candidate should have a background in a broad variety of machine learning and analytical methods both from a theoretical and practical implementation perspective and should be a fast learner who loves interesting and challenging problems. Through the application of these methods to the rich, interconnected big-data derived from design information and social behavior we are creating new tools to help our customers create better designs, navigate complexity, and ultimately work more efficiently.
As a global leader in 3D design, engineering, and entertainment software, Autodesk helps people imagine, design, and create a better world. Autodesk accelerates better design through an unparalleled depth of experience and a broad portfolio of software to give customers the power to solve their design, business, and environmental challenges. In addition to designers, architects, engineers, and media and entertainment professionals, Autodesk helps students, educators, and casual creators unlock their creative ideas through user-friendly applications.
- Work closely with engineering and product management teams in designing, experimenting-with and implementing machine learning and analytical systems applied to design information and user behavior
- Data exploration, hypothesis creation (from business and product goals), testing algorithms, scaling to large data-sets and validating results will be common tasks for this role
- Typical projects will include: analyzing user and social behavior and determining patterns in the data; and development of recommendation and classification systems related to design information and design processes
- We have a broad set of technologies with which the Data Scientist will interface: Hadoop/HDFS; Shark/Spark; Splunk; MongoDb, and numerous charting, graphing and analysis applications such as: Gephi, Google Charts, etc.
- Successful outcomes of the work of this Data Scientist will include: new product features; user and product behavior insights; and systems (software and infrastructure) behavior tracking.
- The Data Scientist on this group will work closely with senior engineers, architects and product managers to develop real world solutions to complex problems that can then be taken to production.
- Will have an opportunity to begin shaping the general Data Scientist role for the future of Autodesk
- Complete familiarity with various statistical and machine learning techniques including: classification, regression, dimension reduction, clustering and various multivariate methods.
- Practical experience implementing algorithms from the above areas
- Understanding of the orders of algorithms and their scaling behaviors
- MS or higher in the field of Statistics or Computer Science
- Ability to quickly learn new tools and understand new areas of data
- Can work closely with engineering teams to gather and process data as well as in surfacing various analytically based features in core products
- At least 8 years of work experience related to complex data problems where insight is derived using logical and statistical techniques from significant amounts of data
- Knowledge of the standard Hadoop/HDFS/Hive/Pig tools; and optionally some newer technologies such as: Spark/Shark; GraphLab/GraphChi; or Storm.
- Good coding skills covering some procedural as well as statistical or data oriented languages. (Such as: Java, Scala, Python as well as R, SQL, etc.)
- Good communication skills and an awareness of how to communicate data effectively
- Comfortable working in newly forming ambiguous areas where learning and adaptability are key skills
- Deep knowledge in accelerating and massively scaling various machine learning algorithms
- Scala and functional programming expertise
- Experience with Graph computation similar to Google Pregel
- Network visualization
- Real-time analytics