Sr. Data Scientist
Changing the world is all in a day's work at Apple. If you love innovation, here's your chance to make a career of it. Design, develop, and field analyses that have direct and measurable impact to the management of the Apple Online Store.
Location: Cupertino, CA
Changing the world is all in a day's work at Apple. If you love innovation, here's your chance to make a career of it. You'll work hard. But the job comes with more than a few perks.
The Apple Online Store sells Apple products and accessories to customers across the globe. In addition to selling innovative Apple products, the Apple Online Store provides the best selection of third-party software, hardware and accessories, as well as exclusive products and services. The Apple Online Store operates worldwide, with a strong presence in Europe, Asia, and North America.
- A strong passion for empirical research and answering hard questions with data; the demonstrated ability to conceptualize, promote and implement new ideas for the business.
- Expert knowledge of SAS (With Enterprise Guide/Miner) required and candidates with strong knowledge of R will be preferred
- Strong working knowledge of data mining algorithms--decision trees, probability networks, structural equation modeling or Shapely Values, market basket, association rules, clustering, linear and logistic regression,-- as applied to both Customer transactional and click-stream data;The ideal candidate will also have solid knowledge of applied bayesian models and econometrics
- Familiarity with database structures and data warehousing principles including a strong knowledge of SQL with the ability to ETL both structured and unstructured data from various sources is required; experience with Teradata a plus.
- Essentially we are looking for someone comfortable manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources and then promoting the output of those analyses to the managers of the business. Experience working with large data sets within distributed computing tools is a plus (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, etc.)
- Creativity to go beyond current tools to deliver best solution to the problem
- Strong programming skills, especially shell scripting in PHP, Apple Script,Python,Perl, Unix or Java
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner with excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills especially with Powerpoint/Keynote.
- Strong data visualization skills, with Tableau experience preferred.
- Ability and comfort working independently and making key decisions on projects
The Apple Online Store's Customer Insights Team is seeking a Senior Data Scientist to design, develop, and field analyses that have direct and measurable impact to the management of the Apple Online Store. This person will work with business managers and executives to help identify viable analytical opportunities and then implement end to end analytical solutions. The role requires both a broad knowledge of existing data mining algorithms for both structured and unstructured data as well as the creativity to invent and customize when necessary. The main responsibilities of the role are investigation of online visitor behavior as captured in heterogeneous clickstream and transactional data through the use of sophisticated data mining tools. In addition, the advanced analytics team also conducts deep topical analysis on a broad range of strategic and tactical questions.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science with a focus on Data Mining/Machine Learning. Statistics, Physics, Operations Research or related field are also acceptable
- M.S. in related field with 8+ years experience applying data mining techniques to real business problems.
This job is now closed.