Data Scientist/Senior Data Scientist
Demonstrate creativity, curiosity and passion for dealing with large amounts of data and converting it into valuable, actionable information. Participation in data mining competitions is a big plus. Develop new algorithms and applications and test your ideas on vast amount of data.
Company: American Express
Location: Phoenix, AZ
American Express is aggressively digitizing our business with significant investment along every dimension in this space. As part of this intensive effort, our Integrated Marketing Solutions organization (IMS) has exciting opportunities available within our digital analytics team for digitally savvy scientists or statisticians with strong background in digital technology and analytics trends and exceptional quantitative and problem solving skills.
Our digital analytics team is responsible for developing, innovating and integrating digital analytics into the American Express card business in international markets. The open positions of Senior Data Scientist/Data Scientist are responsible for development of analytical infrastructure and computational and statistical capabilities to enhance business results and decision making in digital marketing, customer management and servicing.
The list of responsibilities may include:
- Participate in design and development of end to end computational and statistical solutions to support American Express global marketing, customer management, and servicing activities in digital space
- Work with technologists and business partners to develop solutions that mine complex digital behavioral data and transform it into actionable information
- Utilize industry-proven or develop new, customized models, algorithms, or computational methods to support business solutions
- Perform ad-hoc exploratory statistical and data mining analytics
- Present results of complex analytic problems to business, non-technical audience.
Example work includes implementing behavioral targeting on our websites, developing a multi-touch attribution models for our acquisition marketing, driving our real-time bidding strategy on digital advertising platforms, data mining of digital servicing uptake, etc...
The ideal candidate should demonstrate creativity, curiosity and passion for dealing with large amounts of data and converting it into valuable, actionable information. Participation in data mining competitions, like KDD Cups, Netflix Challenge, Kaggle, etc., is a big plus. If you want to develop new algorithms and applications, test your ideas related to digital world and applied to vast amount of data, this may be the right job for you.
- Ph.D. in Data Mining, Machine Learning, Statistics, Econometrics, Operations Research, Engineering or related fields, or M.S. in related fields with 2+ years experience of applying data mining techniques to real business problems
- Strong understanding of web technologies, protocols, and languages - HTML, Java, XML, Ajax, etc.
- Familiarity with database modeling and data warehousing principles, strong programming skills in SAS, SQL, or equivalent with experience with Python, R, other open source languages is a plus; familiarity with Hadoop, cloud computing platforms is also a plus
- Strong working knowledge of data mining techniques, including regression analysis, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, SVM (support vector machines); also preferred is familiarity with recommendation systems such as collaborative filtering, k-nearest neighbors, association rules, market basket analysis, SVD (singular value decomposition), matrix factorization methods
- Creativity to go beyond current tools to deliver the best solution to the problem, ability and comfort with working independently and making key decisions on projects
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills