Knewton is building the world's most powerful adaptive learning engine, with the goal of making personalized and engaging education available to all. You will work with decision makers across the company to provide actionable, data-driven answers to their most challenging problems.
Location: New York, NY
Located in the heart of Manhattan in the Union Square area, Knewton is building the world's most powerful adaptive learning engine, with the goal of making personalized and engaging education available to all. Knewton has been recognized as a Technology Pioneer by the World Economic Forum in Davos and one of the top 25 best places to work by Crain's New York Business. Knewton's funding partners include high-profile investors like Peter Thiel, Reid Hoffman, and publishing giant Pearson.
As a Data Scientist at Knewton, you'll be analyzing and extracting insights from one of the world's most interesting data sets. You will work with decision makers across the company to provide actionable, data-driven answers to their most challenging problems.
This is an outstanding opportunity to:
- Work with and learn from leading engineers and data scientists
- Provide analysis and make key decisions regarding technical and product direction of the company
- Work with one of the world's largest educational datasets while answering previously unanswerable questions
What we need from you:
- MS in Computer Science, Applied Math, Computer Engineering or a related field; PhD preferred.
- Solid Python, Java or C++ coding skills
- Passion and enthusiasm for building scalable systems that analyze huge data sets and make actionable recommendations
- Proven ability to identify relationships within large, not obviously related data sets
- Ability to work with incomplete or imperfect data
- Familiarity with linear algebra and manipulating data using matrix algorithms
- Ability to build and interpret probabilistic models of complex, high-dimensional systems
Using many of the following technologies:
- Collaborative filtering
- Decision trees (and automatic tree generation)
- Bayesian methods
- Clustering techniques (principal components analysis, k-means, etc.)
What we'd like from you:
- Hadoop or other MapReduce implementation experience
- Semantic text mining or natural language processing experience A+
- Experience in high-stakes information retrieval and statistical analysis - (i.e. Bioinformatics, Fraud Detection)
Perks include huge monitors, the latest Macs, a kitchen filled with your favorite treats, flexible hours, unlimited paid time off, frequent guest speakers, excellent health benefits, equity and a chance to do meaningful, cutting edge work in a dynamic environment.
100 Fifth Ave, New York, NY 10011