Senior Data Analyst
Perform BI and statistical modeling using medical data and other data for CRICO, the patient safety and medical insurance company serving the Harvard medical community.
Location: Cambridge, MA
CRICO is the patient safety and medical professional liability insurance company owned by and serving the Harvard medical community since 1976. CRICO Strategies provides evidence-based risk management software solutions and services to an international membership of health-care systems, hospitals, and insurers.
The Senior Data Analyst will perform business intelligence and statistical modeling by utilizing medical data and other data sources. Thinks creatively and works iteratively with business experts to provide advanced analytic solutions for business and patient safety problems. Assists in preparation of reports and presentations of analyses, predictive models, and other data mining results. Provides business intelligence and statistical analysis to PSO, Underwriting, Finance, and Claims departments.
- Gathers, examines, and analyzes sets of data by utilizing statistical applications and techniques.
- Works with complex patient safety data to report actionable findings to internal and external clients; works iteratively to refine and meet business needs.
- Analyzes and evaluates model outputs; formulates and tests hypotheses, weighs alternatives, and determines appropriate responses for actionable insights.
- Produces a variety of reports, graphs, summaries and presentations that convey analytic results and align with business needs.
- Designs and implements SAS processes for streamlining data extraction and validation processes.
- Performs SAS programming, modeling and reporting utilizing SAS Base, SAS Enterprise Miner, SAS Enterprise Guide, JMP and other statistical tools as required.
- Serves as statistical expert to research, evaluate, and implement new analytic techniques or technologies.
- Provides assistance and training to other analytics staff to improve and diversify analytic services offered.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge base in risk management, patient safety and loss prevention activities.
- Understands comparative data trends and integrates relevant benchmark data into existing analyses and reports.
- Designs new methods for analysis and presentation of comparative data.
- Recommends and implements process improvements for timeliness, relevance, presentation, and utilization of data.
- Performs other related duties as required by position.
- Analytic Thinking
- Technical Expertise
- Diagnostic Information Gathering
- Communication – Verbal, Written and Presentations
- Building Collaborative Relationships
- Interpersonal Awareness
- Results Orientation
Minimum Requirements (Knowledge: education, experience, and specialized skills):
- BA/BS degree or equivalent in math, informatics, economics, or statistics required; Advanced degree preferred
- 8+ years of experience in analytics, informatics or statistics (3-5 years with advanced degree)3+ years SAS programming experience (e.g. SAS Enterprise Guide, SAS Enterprise miner; advanced macro development and reporting skills)
- Experience with Business Objects a plus
- Experience in the health care or insurance industry preferred
- Solid interpersonal skills who enjoys collaboration in a demanding and changing environment
- Ability to communicate with people at all levels
- Demonstrated expertise manipulating and interpreting large datasets
- Knowledge of relational databases and reporting/analysis tools
- Experience with data management and analysis software pages (e.g. R, SQL, Stata, Tableau, JMP)
- Excellent teaming, communication, and time management skills are essential