Sr BI Engineer, Amazon Product Ads
Product Ads is an innovative hybrid of ecommerce product selection with a cost-per-click advertising model. Success for this role is about putting information into the hands of business owners.
Location: Seattle, WA
Join the Amazon Product Ads team and make a difference. Product Ads is an innovative hybrid of ecommerce product selection with a cost-per-click advertising model. We make it easy for merchants to add their products to Amazon's catalog, and then help customers discover the selection through natural search and targeted placements. The merchant pays a cost per click for customers who click through from the offer/ad to the merchant's website.
Learn more about Product Ads at productads.amazon.com
The Senior Business Intelligence Engineer owns the critical role of turning operational data into business insights and directions. You will partner with the business team to lead the transformation of the company's business across both global operational management and new product development. You will use your strong SQL skills to assemble the disparate data you need and your analytical smarts to make sense of the results. You'll need to have a deep understanding of data tools and schemas, and an ability to translate business questions into reliable, repeatable queries. Success for this role is about putting information into the hands of business owners. Join us and make a measurable impact on our business.
- Own the operational metrics for the various Product Ad businesses and countries with high standards for the accuracy and timeliness of reports. Establish periodic baseline metric audits to ensure older metrics are still proper representations of the underlying businesses.
- Provide drill-down insight into Key Performance Indicators (KPI), identify key contributors to trends and help business owners understand the linkage between the two.
- Partner with Product Managers to forecast the impact and relative rank of different features and projects on key goals (revenue, operations, seller success, overall Amazon impact). Track the results post-launch to confirm and calibrate the initial estimations.
- Take the lead in ad-hoc data analysis to validate business assumptions or to get to the root cause of pressing business escalations. Be effective at reaching data-driven decisions while avoiding analysis paralysis.
- Participate in strategic planning processes and annual operating plan forecasts. Validate that the highest-impact projects are identified for the top of the feature list.
- Evaluate and implement new methods and tools to publish and maintain metrics decks. Simplify the addition of new metrics. Explore data visualization tools for non-tech business users.
- Be connected and influential within the Amazon analyst community. Work with engineering and the data warehouse to enable the appropriate capture and storage of key data points.
Success will be measured by:
- Definition and overhaul of global metrics decks.
- Achievement of shared goals around revenue, merchant adoption, coverage, and monetization.
- Quality of insights and guidance for identifying projects with highest return on effort.
- Enabling the business to move faster with the right metrics to guide us.
- 5+ years of professional experience in business analytics, business intelligence (BI) or comparable consumer analyst position handling large, complex data sets.
- Bachelor's degree in Math, Finance, Statistics, Engineering, or related discipline.
- Strong SQL and Excel expertise to access and transform data into insights.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities and generate innovative solutions in an extremely fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility to work across multiple time-zones.
- Demonstrated ability to frame complex analytical problems, pull data, and extract insights that led to tangible results (revenue, seller launches, new product features, etc.).
- Outstanding speaking, writing, and presentation skills, as well as the ability to persuade, inspire, and motivate others. Summarize key insights for technical and non-technical audiences.
- MBA or Masters degree in an analytic field is desired.
- Can separate the data signal from the noise.
- Passion to get the right stuff done.