Senior Data Scientist – Discovery and Personalization
Uncover key insights from our terabytes of data about how customers find and watch movies and TV shows on Netflix.
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Uncover key insights about how customers find and watch movies and TV shows on Netflix. The Data Scientist will play a critical role in this discipline by providing insights from our terabytes of data.
As part of the Data Science and Engineering organization, you will partner directly with the Discovery wing of the Product Development organization to analyze our user behavior data around how our users find the content they choose to watch, covering areas including search, personalization, visits, and ratings.
Discovering and Personalization Example Problems:
- What variables are meaningful for studying the performance of our personalization algorithms?
- How effective is Netflix's social integration for helping users find content?
- What does a user's visit behavior tell us about their engagement?
If you are interested in solving such problems, and then defining some more of your own and solving them, and have the tech/analytical skills to back it up, come talk to us.
- Mine and analyze data, applying statistical methods as necessary, pertaining to customers' discovery and viewing experiences to identify critical product insights.
- Proactively develop new metrics and studies to quantify the value of different aspects of product personalization, and set up ongoing reports to continually measure their performance.
- Translate analytic insights into concrete, actionable recommendations for business or product improvement.
- Partner closely with product and engineering leaders throughout the lifecycle of launching new Netflix features. Ensure that necessary data is captured, analytic needs are well-defined up front, and development timelines are coordinated with analytic needs.
- Drive efforts to enable product and engineering leaders to share your knowledge and insights through clear and concise communication, education, and data visualization.
- 3+ years of experience in data analysis to derive impactful insights.
- Proven track record and experience with statistical modeling/data mining algorithms such as Multivariate Regression, Logistic Regression, clustering algorithms, Support Vector Machines, Decision Trees, etc.
- Proficiency at querying relational databases (SQL) and experience independently working with and exploring huge volumes of data (TBs/day)
- Great with numbers, tables, charts, trends - everything data.
- Strong skills in at least one of the following analytic tools: R, SAS, SPSS, Excel
- Good understanding of high-level product architecture and data flow patterns.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills: ability to tell a clear, concise, actionable story with data, to folks across various levels of the company.
- BS or MS degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research, or other quantitative field.
A few more things to know:
- Our culture is unique and we live by our values, so it's worth learning more about Netflix at www.netflix.com/Jobs.
- You will need to be comfortable working in the most agile of environments. Requirements will be vague. Iterations will be rapid. You will need to be nimble and take smart risks.