Knowledge Expert, Operations Analytics
All aspects of Operations analytics, from helping to create relevant service offerings by working with priority global Practice Areas, to leading the execution of analytics work and continuing to expand the analytical foundation.
Company: Boston Consulting Group (BCG)
Location: Boston, MA
ABOUT BCG ADVANCED ANALYTICS TEAM:
The Boston Consulting Group is a global management consulting firm and the world's leading advisor on business strategy. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses. Our customized approach combines deep insight into the dynamics of companies and markets with close collaboration at all levels of the client organization. This ensures that our clients achieve sustainable competitive advantage, build more capable organizations, and secure lasting results. BCG is a private company with 80 offices in 43 countries.
BCG's Advanced Analytics team delivers powerful analytics-based insights designed to help our clients tackle their most pressing business problems. We partner with BCG case teams and practices across the full analytics valuechain: framing new business challenges, building fact-bases, designing innovative analytics workflows, training colleagues in new methodologies, and interpreting findings for our clients. The Advanced Analytics team is a global resource, working with clients in every BCG region and in every industry area. It is a core member of a rapidly growing Analytics enterprise at BCG - a constellation of teams focused on driving practical results for BCG clients by bringing leading edge analytics approaches.
We are seeking a strong candidate with Operations analytics experience to fill an exciting Knowledge Expert (KE) position within BCG's Advanced Analytics team. The role provides an opportunity to leverage analytics methodologies to deliver value to BCG's clients in collaboration with case teams. The KE will be responsible for all aspects of Operations analytics, from helping to create relevant service offerings by working with priority global Practice Areas, to leading the execution of analytics work and continuing to expand the analytical foundation and competitive value proposition.
The KE will collaborate directly with local and international case teams focusing on the analytics components of client deliverables from providing expertise on methodology, driving scoping and work-planning, leading execution, ultimately creating a knowledge base to advance BCG Analytics capabilities. As the field of Operations analytics is rapidly evolving, the KE is responsible for staying current on leading-edge business applications, tools and approaches, proactively working with the Advanced Analytics Leadership to enhance offerings that deliver competitive advantage to BCG.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Work with case teams
- Holds end to end responsibility for Operations analytics work and high quality outcomes
- Provides expert perspective on methodology and leads scoping, work-planning and day-to-day activities. Delivers on analytics projects either directly or by involving other Advanced Analytics team analysts, 3rd party (outsourcers) and sometimes CT/ECT or client staff
Work with proposal teams
- Inserts oneself into business
- Shares fresh and commercially relevant topic/sector expertise in support of client work & internal development
- Leads selling process to Partners & clients and writes large portions of proposal/selling documents
- Provides institutionalized knowledge on relevant Analytics value propositions
Work with topic/sector teams
- Identifies Operations analytics gaps and suggests knowledge initiatives to management
- Influences the shaping & direction of Advanced Analytics knowledge agenda
- Develops, manages & commercializes Operations analytics knowledge initiatives, products and services
- Captures proprietary content as well as operations insights to the knowledge infrastructure
- Upholds the quality of knowledge captured & standardizes processes
Analytics team management activities
- Participates in resource deployment (staffing) according to business needs
- Plays an active role in recruitment according to business needs
- Designs on-boarding schedule & documents, provides day-to-day apprenticeship & coaching for junior staff
- Assists in long term professional development of Analy
- 7+ years relevant work experience providing advanced analytics solutions in the operations sector or 5+ years in consulting experience
- Undergraduate degree in a field linked to business analytics, statistics or geo-statistics, applied mathematics, computer science, engineering, operations research, or related field is required; advanced degree is preferred
- Autonomous, self starter with a passion for analytics and problem solving
- Practical, tenacious approach to problem solving
- Strong work ethic & service-mentality
- Strong codification & development of knowledge products
- Ability to provide analytical advice to laymen
- Ability to multi-task & operate effectively in a matrix organization
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to manage multiple parallel tasks
- Strong interpersonal skills and credibility as well as collaborative, team player
- Ability to understand and manage complex reporting relationships
- Ability to maintain discretion when needed
- Demonstrated analytical expertise, including the ability to synthesize complex data, effectively manage complex analyses, technical understanding of system capabilities and constraints
- Demonstrated expertise to orchestrate analytical insights and facilitate business change
- Strong experience building analytical solutions and delivering tangible business value for (one or more of the following):
- Delivery fleet consolidation
- Delivery footprint/territory expansion (or reduction)
- Network real estate reorganization
- Cost modeling of transportation & logistics operations
- Others a plus
- Expertise in operations function
- Strong industry network
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong experience in core analytics methods (one or more of the following):
- Network analysis (location-allocation, travelling sales person, vehicle routing problem)
- Geographic cluster recognition and manipulation techniques
- Spatio-temporal analysis
- Statistics (t-tests, ANOVA, ...), variable reduction (FA, PCA, ...)
- Segmentation/clustering techniques
- Predictive modeling: e.g. logistic regression, linear regression, ...
- Time series analysis: e.g. ARIMA, VAR, etc.
- Machine learning: e.g. LCA, Random Forest, neural networks, ...
- Simulation: e.g. MC, dynamic, discrete event, ...
- Optimization: e.g. linear programming, heuristic, ...
- Familiarity with a broad base of analytics tools (one or more of the following):
- GIS toolkits (ESRI, Quantum GIS, MapInfo or similar)
- ESRI Network Analyst, RouteSmart, RoadNet or similar
- Data management: e.g. Excel, SQL, PostGRESql, Hadoop/Hive, Alteryx, ...
- Data visualization: e.g. Tableau, ...
- Analytics platforms: e.g. SAS, R, RapidMiner, SPSS, ...
- GPS data analysis a plus
- Programming and/or scripting experience: e.g. Python, C#, VBA, Java, Perl, ...
Client Services skills
- Strong business vale focus
- Experience with 80/20 approaches
- Effective oral and written communication skills (fluency in English is required)
- Senior presence & can operate/influence effectively in a matrix organization
- Well-developed management skills & business acumen
- Strong presence, strong collaborator and leadership skills
- Fast-paced, intellectually intense, service-oriented environment
- Position is located in Boston, in the Center for Knowledge & Analytics.
Interested candidates should send their cover letters and CV's to email@example.com.
No phone calls please.
Please note that this position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above and that the job scope and responsibilities are subject to change.
BCG is an Equal Opportunity Employer