NPR: Data Scientist
Extract insights from complex media usage data sets for product development, identify strategic opportunities, and become the expert for digital metrics - dream job for a public radio lover.
Location: Washington, DC
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility - our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Do you have a passion for analytics and thirst to apply your knowledge to media? Do you want to be challenged by your job and be surrounded by passionate, dedicated, and creative people? Then this role is for you. You will extract insights from complex media usage data sets for product development, evaluate, and identify strategic opportunities. You will become the expert for digital metrics within NPR. You have a unique blend of thoughtful data-driven curiosity and pragmatism, and clearly know the difference between game-changing ideas and time sucking activities.
Essential Duties Include:
- Master the data flowing through NPR and determine all parameters for analysis
- Create information strategy for cross-platform analytics
- Assure data quality and integrity for NPR's digital metrics systems
- Actively troubleshoot data issues and collaborate with developers and vendors to resolve data issues and upgrade systems
- Create meaningful dashboards for executives, content leaders and digital newsroom staff, including historical reporting
- Mentor junior researchers and train colleagues in analytic techniques
- Independently perform data mining techniques and statistical analyses on large data sets to uncover critical patterns and predictive models
- Collaborate with U/X and product team to implement user testing and A/B experiments
- Develop metrics to measure business performance
- Build models to understand media behavior online to discover actionable insights
- Communicates on small teams, formal presentations and at business unit events
- Develop written communications to address varied styles and information needs
- Assess existing systems and recommend enhancements
- Build strong working relationships at all levels with clients and build problem-solving partnerships with clients and colleagues
A degree in computer science, statistics, econometrics, mathematics or information science or related field; preference given to candidates with advanced degree.
- 5 years of experience in data mining and media or advertising analytics
- Proficient in at least two programming/scripting languages: Python, Ruby, Pig, Java, Hive, PHP, JS
- Specific experience using tools such as Mahout, Hadoop, Cassandra, Splunk
- Hands on knowledge of database manipulation through environments such as MySQL, NoSQL
- Experience working with Linux/Unix platform
- Facile with statistical computing using R, SAS, SPSS, or S-Plus
- Skilled in K-Means and K-means clustering, MapReduce
- Ability to decompose a problem and work through a technical approach and attack a problem in a systematic way
- Solid experience with machine learning and data mining
- Experience with digital metrics systems such as Adobe Site Catalyst or Google Analytics Premium
- Experience with Google Analytics API
- Strong analysis and experimental design skills with a keen sense for data gaps and inconsistencies
- Experience in developing data visualization independently or with tools such as Tableau
- Excellent oral, written and visual communication skills, particularly at explaining complex quantitative information to non-technical audiences
- Strong collaboration skills
- Not just a tolerance but a zeal for multitasking. At the same time show a clear sense for priorities and commitment to follow-through
- Experience managing data-driven research from project inception to client communication
- Ability to work independently with little supervision as well as in collaborative team environment
- Self-starter with the ability to work in a constantly-changing environment
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered
If you apply for this job, here's what you can expect in our interview process. If you're checking out technical or digital roles, here are some additional things you should consider about what you'll experience at NPR.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.