Apple: Data Scientist – iTunes
Apple has a tremendous amount of data, and we have just scratched the surface in pattern detection, anomaly detection, predictive modeling, and optimization. We encourage scientists to stay abreast of research by attending conferences and working with academy.
Location: Cupertino, CA
Apple has a tremendous amount of data, and we have just scratched the surface in pattern detection, anomaly detection, predictive modeling, and optimization. There are many exciting problems to be discovered and solved. We encourage scientists to stay abreast of data mining research by attending conferences and working with academic faculty and students. We foster a collaborative work environment, but allow solution autonomy on projects.
The iTunes Engineering team has a proud tradition of delivering cutting-edge products in a competitive marketplace. We seek to maintain a challenging and rewarding environment where the best engineers and scientists can collaborate and produce real-world improvements in customers' online experience. Successful candidates will solve problems unique in scale and concept in the pursuit of new and original features.
- Strong working knowledge of data mining algorithms including decision trees, probability networks, association rules, clustering, regression, and neural networks.
- Familiarity with database modeling and data warehousing principles with a working knowledge of SQL.
- Familiarity with Big Data tools and techniques, including MapReduce, NoSQL stores, and unbounded stream processing.
- Creativity to go beyond current tools to deliver best solution to the problem
- Strong programming skills in Java, Python, or similar language
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability and comfort working independently and making key decisions on projects
We are seeking an outstanding data mining scientist who is interested in designing, developing, and fielding data mining solutions that have direct and measurable impact to Apple. This person will work within and across teams to help identify viable data mining opportunities and then implement end to end analytical solutions. The role requires both a broad knowledge of existing data mining algorithms and creativity to invent and customize when necessary.
- Ph.D. in Data Mining, Machine Learning, Statistics, Operations Research or related field
- or M.S. in related field with 5+ years experience applying data mining techniques to real business problems.
- Conceive and design end to end data mining solutions to support Apple's business units and initiatives.
- Work with business owners to map business requirements into technical solutions.
- Develop and implement data mining solutions to fit business problem, which may include applying algorithms from a standard tool or custom algorithm development.
- Work closely with data warehouse architects and software engineers to generate seamless business intelligence solutions for end users.
- Support production data mining solutions.
- Perform ad hoc statistical and data mining analyses.
- Present results of analyses to business units.
This job is no longer available.
Apple is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.