FirstFuel: Data Scientist
FirstFuel Software is using energy analytics to help utilities and government agencies deliver scalable energy efficiency. Data Scientist will develop state of the art Statistical/Machine Learning algorithms and deploy them to a scalable, secure, cloud-based architecture.
Location: Lexington, MA
Job Code 13MO.003
The Staff Scientist will join a top-flight R&D team with decades of deep academic and industry experience. As part of an industry-leading Venture-backed startup on a rapid growth path, s/he will be expected to juggle multiple responsibilities: s/he will be equally comfortable in developing state of the art statistical and Machine Learning algorithms as well as deploying them using the best practices of software engineering applied to a scalable, secure, cloud-based architecture. S/he must have the ability to switch contexts rapidly between Research literature search, rapid prototyping and testing and deployment. Finally, s/he will be both a self-starter and a consummate team player.
Main responsibilities include:
- developing the core statistical and machine learning algorithms with the Research group;
- coding these algorithms in production quality software with the engineering team;
- work in close collaboration with the engineering and building science teams in running production models and interpreting the results;
- mine industrial-size data sets in various states of cleanliness to gain insight on underlying patterns;
- pattern recognition and capture via variable creation and selection;
- automation and scaling of model building process;
- deploying and monitoring model performance and initiate continuous model quality improvements; help develop next generation products and solutions.
Work will require effective cooperation with local and global teams. This position is not expected to involve significant (greater than 15%) travel.
- Advanced degree (MS required, Ph.D. strongly preferred) in a quantitative field e.g., Operations Research, Computer Science, Statistics, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Econometrics, etc.
- 3+ years developing models in Matlab®.
- 5+ years of strong programming skills with extensive experience with at least one Object Oriented language like Java. Must have coded extensively and be prepared to demonstrate examples.
- Must have developed and deployed advanced algorithms and /or statistical models with "real life" data.
- Deep knowledge of analytic methodologies (linear & nonlinear regression, signal processing, simulation, optimization, neural networks, etc.).
- Passion for energy and clean technologies. Preferred:
- Developed models in one or more Statistical packages like Matlab®, SAS®, SPSS®, R, RATS®, Stata®.
- Proficiency in one or more of Unix shell scripting, Ruby, Perl, C++, Python.
- Cloud platform programming experience (e.g., Amazon Web Services).
- Work experience in a startup or small technology driven company.
To apply for this position, please send your cover email and CV to email@example.com.
Please note that we are unable to provide work authorization (H1B, Permanent Resident or similar) sponsorship.
"Managers and policy makers are referring to Energy Efficiency as the 'first fuel'"- Jon Wellinghoff, FERC Chairman
FirstFuel Software is the building energy analytics company that helps utilities and government agencies deliver scalable energy efficiency across their commercial building portfolios. The company's Remote Building Analytics platform uses advanced meter data analytics to identify, enable, and track energy efficiency savings behind the meter in commercial buildings - all without onsite visits or device installations. Designed to be rapidly and cost-effectively deployed across hundreds or thousands of commercial buildings, FirstFuel changes the scale at which the sector can achieve its energy efficiency goals. Founded in 2009 and privately held, FirstFuel is headquartered in Lexington, Mass.
For more information please visit firstfuel.com.