ZocDoc: Engineering Manager, Data Engineering
Run Data Engineering team to create a hardcore data and analytics infrastructure for our business - working with our teams of data scientists and business analysts to transform data into information enabling the next generation of ZocDoc insight and products.
Location: New York, NY
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
ZocDoc is seeking an engineering technical lead who wants to manage a team with serious skills, building technology that really helps people. This person will run our Data Engineering team to create a hardcore data and analytics infrastructure for our business - working with our teams of data scientists and business analysts to transform data into information enabling the next generation of ZocDoc insight and products.
You know how to strike the right balance between upfront planning and iterative development. When you join a team, you make good engineers great and great engineers even better. You have the technical experience necessary to help your team members with tough challenges and you're not afraid to dive in and write code with the rest of the team. You prefer data-driven decision making and are always chasing the opportunity where you can make the most impact. You have a history of setting ambitious goals and then crushing them. You and yours teams have designed and implemented fast and efficient data processing using 'big data' processing techniques and tools (e.g. MapReduce). And you have implemented the latest technologies like Hadoop, NoSQL, Vertica, etc.; used scripting skills like Pig and Hive; and had virtualization experience across platforms like AWS.
We love our work (Crain's has named us a Best Place to Work in NYC for 4 years running!), and we need you to help us do it even better - that means mentoring your peers and being a thought leader for the whole team. We also love our teammates! We want someone who's excited to join us for beery (or wino) Fridays, semiannual weekend Hackathons, and the occasional TF2/MTG marathon.
- Both managing an engineering team; and 2+ years of data-specific engineering experience in addition to the 3+ years of general engineering experience; experience with BI Tools is a plus.
- Vision: To direct your team's focus to what matters most.
- Mentorship: You only succeed if your teammates succeed.
- Curiosity: A passion for huge, scalable systems and databases.
- Strong Understanding of core architectural principles such as modularity, restorability, parallelization and table driven business rules.
- A good understanding of information delivery architecture including creation of abstraction layers, SQL query paths and optimization, report level calculations and end user reporting Architecture.
- Computer Science or related degree
What you'll receive:
- A home at one of the best places to work in NYC
- Stock options
- 100% employer-covered health insurance
- Catered lunch every day in our sunlit SoHo office
- An incredible team of smart and supportive people
- The chance to build a better healthcare system