Blue Apron: Data Engineer
Join our team to revolutionize the food chain through data; empower the organization through the ingestion, organization, manipulation, and delivery of fast, reliable, and consistent data.
Company: Blue Apron
Location: New York, NY
What We Do
At Blue Apron, our mission is to make incredible home cooking accessible to everyone-from the novice cook just getting started to the experienced chef. Each week we send hundreds of thousands of customers all the pre-measured and perfectly proportioned ingredients they need to prepare delicious and healthy meals at home. We introduce our members to new ingredients, flavors, and cooking techniques with seasonally inspired recipes that are always delicious, fun and easy to prepare. We make fresher, healthier food available at better prices by rethinking the grocery supply chain from the table all the way back to the farm.
Who We Are
Chefs around the world wear blue aprons when learning to cook, and for us it has become a symbol of lifelong learning. Our highly motivated group of foodies is inspired to work on complex business problems with creativity and passion always looking to learn something new. We take preparation seriously, embrace a spirit of excellence, and put in the extra effort in everything we do. We are thrilled to be part of our customers' lives, cooking and creating experiences in their home kitchens.
Where We Are
Blue Apron is a venture-backed, e-commerce company based in New York City, with additional offices in our New Jersey, California and Texas Fulfillment Centers. Launched in 2012, we have just over 100 employees in our Soho headquarters in New York City and have grown to over 1,500 employees across our National Fulfillment Centers.
What We Are Looking For:
We're looking for a Data Engineer to join our team to revolutionize the food chain through data. You will empower the organization through the ingestion, organization, manipulation, and delivery of fast, reliable, and consistent data from across our complex organization. You will help the Data Science team infer food preferences, create complex demand prediction models, quantitatively characterize recipe quality, build critical analytics to power a massive logistics operation, and identify innovative new data products that will change the face of the food industry.
About the role
- Build and maintain systems that ingest, transform, organize, and expose data
- Work closely with and learn from other world class data engineers and data scientists
- You will work to improve the reliability of our data through better systems and policies
- Drive down the time to insight by improving the accessibility and organization of data
- Aid people across the organization in getting access to data that drives critical business decisions
- Bachelor's or Graduate degree in Software Engineering (or equivalent experience)
- 1+ years experience working with the ingestion, transformation, storage, and accessibility of large and diverse datasets
- Experience with SQL, and some production language (Python, Java, etc.)
- Experience with some or all of the following:
- Columnar Data Stores (Redshift, Vertica, BigQuery, etc.)
- Batch process scheduling systems (Azkaban, Amazon Simple Workflow, Chronos, etc.)
- Large Scale data transformation technologies (MapReduce, Storm, EMR, etc.)
- Care and feeding of Business Intelligence tools (Looker, Tableau, etc.)