Legendary Entertainment, Applied Analytics: Quantitative Researcher
Legendary is a leading global media company producing innovative content like Jurassic World, Godzilla, and The Dark Knight. Applied Analytics division develops models to predict and influence consumer purchasing decisions in entertainment and beyond.
Location: Boston, MA
Legendary is a leading global media company with film, television, digital and comics divisions dedicated to owning, producing and delivering innovative content like Jurassic World, Godzilla, and The Dark Knight to mainstream audiences with a targeted focus on the powerful fandom demographic. In aggregate, Legendary Pictures-associated productions have realized grosses of more than $10 billion worldwide at the box office. A trusted brand built on quality and authenticity, we create unmissable cultural event properties and breathe life into the most epic myths of our time.
Legendary's Applied Analytics division sources and leverages emerging data sets to quantitatively model, predict, and influence consumer purchasing decisions in the entertainment industry and beyond. Based in Boston, Legendary's Applied Analytics division is a major strategic initiative for the company, supported with more than 40 full time staff. A highly innovative, rapidly growing group within one of Hollywood's most successful film studios, Legendary Applied Analytics is unique within the industry.
Applied Analytics is seeking quantitative researchers with applied experience in scientific research, computation, and statistics looking for an opportunity in a fast paced business environment within a dynamic industry. The Researcher will work with a diverse team of scientists, software developers, and business strategists to advance Legendary's content development and positioning through quantitative analysis and statistical modeling. Applied Analytics' areas of impact include Legendary entertainment properties spanning film, TV, and sports and extend to other domains and consumer brands.
Examples of quantitative team projects have included:
- Adapting cutting edge natural language processing methods to explore, model, and interpret the millions of social media posts related to our properties in order to improve marketing and positioning.
- Informing the decision making of studio executives on which movies and TV shows have the greatest potential based on the statistical synthesis of diverse social listening practices.
- Predicting box office performance of films with a Bayesian framework incorporating audience traits inferred from social media, thematic decompositions from machine learning approaches, market characteristics, and more.
This role will provide the opportunity to work on exciting new properties in film and throughout entertainment, to develop novel and creative statistical methodologies for the analysis of original datasets, and to communicate analytical results to other researchers and entertainment domain experts.
This position is based in Boston.
Responsibilities include, but will not be limited to:
- Focus on research and development through statistical modeling of large datasets from across the entertainment industry
- Use data to interpret and predict consumer decision-making behavior throughout entertainment
- Develop, extend, and apply models and code from our team's toolkit of statistical and analytical methodologies for industry-specific, social media, and consumer records datasets
- Being an active member of Legendary's Research Team -- comprising researchers with PhDs and advanced degrees in the computational, physical, and social sciences -- by participating in lab meetings, working collaborative projects, and mentoring junior researchers.
- Master's degree in statistics, physical or quantitative social sciences, computational science or a related field; or 3 years applied experience in data science and statistics
- Fluency with one or more of the following numerical computation environments: python scientific computing stack, R, Matlab
- Experience in the analysis and visualization of large, complex datasets
- Expertise with one or more of the following machine learning and statistical modeling domains: quantitative textual analysis, Bayesian modeling, statistical or network analysis of social media data, image analysis and recognition
- Available to begin late 2015
- Ph.D. or 5 years applied experience in a related field
- Can contribute expert domain experience and a proven record of proposing and developing original research ideas
- Demonstrable experience in communicating research methods and results to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Fluency with SQL, version control software, Unix, and other data management and development systems
Interested candidates should contact firstname.lastname@example.org including a resume and statement of interest with their message.