UnitedHealth Group/OptumLabs: Vice President of Optum Data Science Program
Lead data science recruitment and training function for Optum, drive the build out of the data science practice at Optum working with Optum business units to identify and deliver results on high-impact projects leveraging big data analytics and machine learning.
Location: Boston, MA
Email to Janet Oliver email@example.com
or apply directly using this link.
UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
OptumLabs is looking for a senior data scientist to lead the development of a data science recruitment and training function for Optum. This position will drive the build out of the data science practice at Optum working with Optum business units to identify and deliver results on high-impact projects leveraging big data analytics and machine learning. You will lead a team of data science mentors who will work with both interns and new hires to apply data science skills to important business problems. In this position, you will be advocating the power of data science concepts and working with cross-functional teams to create actionable insight across core business lines. You will identify relevant skill and knowledge gaps needed to solve business problems and will develop training programs to close these gaps while providing hands on experience solving major healthcare problems. We are looking for someone who is passionate about asking and answering questions through the use of large structured and unstructured data. It is critical to have exceptional communication skills and the ability to make complex concepts simple and easy to understand.
- Lead a team of data scientists to discover insights and identify opportunities through the use of statistical, data mining and visualization techniques
- Lead educational efforts to augment employee skill sets with current technologies and methodology
- Document findings, including assumptions and validation work in a clear structured manner
- Summarize and present findings while adjusting the content and level of detail to the appropriate level for the audience
- Advise project teams and project sponsors
- Use experience with data mining approaches to develop innovative ways to look at problems
- Use strong business, problem solving skills and programming knowledge to quickly cycle hypotheses through discovery
- Work closely with clients, clinicians, data stewards, and other business and technology leaders to frame problem definition and potential solutions
To be considered for this position, applicants need to meet the qualifications listed in this posting.
- Masters or PhD in data science, computer science, statistics, applied mathematics, bioinformatics, epidemiology or related quantitative field.
- Experience leading high visibility programs and interacting with senior executives
- 5+ years of statistical analysis, quantitative analytics, and/or forecasting/predicting analytics
- 2+ years of applying machine learning using distributed systems like Hadoop, Hive, Spark or similar libraries
- 2 + years of experience with R or Python
- 3 years experience leading teams either directly or cross matrixed
- Experience working in an Agile Software Development environment
- Experience working with healthcare data
- Available location: Boston, MA
- Experience with MapReduce associated languages such as Pig, Sawzall, Scala
- Experience with business intelligence tools such as Tableau.
- Healthcare business experience including experience analyzing claims and EHR data
- Strong history of publications and presence in the health care and data science industry
- Experience with big data technologies like Hadoop, Hive, Spark, H2o and others,
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Top Stories Past 30 Days