Civis Analytics: Data Scientist, Natural Language Processing
Be part of the Research and Development team, responsible for developing the fundamental data science methods, techniques, and best practices that power the mission of our company, performing predictive analytics, algorithm development, experimental design, visualization, and survey research.
Company: Civis Analytics
Location: Chicago, IL
Position: Data Scientist, Natural Language Processing
Who We Are
Civis Analytics is building a data-driven world. We create technologies that empower organizations to unlock the truth hiding in their own data—transforming them into smart organizations that are ready to thrive. We build cloud-based products to help organizations do data science better and easier.
We're solving the world's biggest problems with big data. Through research, experimentation, and iteration, we’re transforming how organizations do analytics. Our clients range in scale and focus from local to international, all empowered by our individual-level, data-driven approach.
While our history is rooted in political campaign targeting, we’re now partnering with intelligent organizations in healthcare, media, education, and a range of other domains.
We are a community of of engineers, data scientists, and statisticians looking to add to our growing team. We are smart, fun, and a little bit weird. Does this sound like you?
The Research and Development team is responsible for developing the fundamental data science methods, techniques, and best practices that power the mission of our company. Our diverse work includes predictive analytics, algorithm development, experimental design, visualization, and survey research. As a data scientist on our Chicago-based Research and Development team, you will work closely and collaboratively with analysts and engineers to develop and operationalize the techniques that quantify and solve big, meaningful problems. Our team dives deeply into big problems and works in a variety of areas.
With a specialization in natural language processing, this data scientist role will apply expertise in machine learning to the analysis of text datasets being collected at Civis Analytics. Areas of particular interest include neural networks for text classification, sequence tagging, and unsupervised clustering of text data. In this role, you will be a critical voice shaping both how textual data informs existing Civis Analytics’ products and services, and how it leads to the development of entirely new ways of serving our clients.
We are looking for individuals from a diversity of backgrounds with demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. We value creativity, hard work, and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field, such as computer science, statistics, machine learning, or electrical engineering
- Experience with core NLP techniques and tasks
- Familiarity with languages for statistical & scientific computing, such as the Python, Lua, R, and associated libraries
- Strong programming skills
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- Master’s or PhD degree in a quantitative field such as computer science, statistics, machine learning, or electrical engineering
- Experience using compiled programming languages (e.g., C/C++, Go, Java) for high-performance statistical computing
- Experience with common toolkits for deep learning, such as Theano, Tensorflow, Torch, or caffe
- Significant work experience addressing NLP tasks such as text classification, sequence labeling or structure prediction
|Top Stories Past 30 Days|