DuPont: Sr. Software Developer – BioInformatics/Genomics (ABT00001643)
Seeking a Senior Software Developer to work within agile software development teams to create and enhance software based on business-driven requirements, working closely with software architects, test engineers and product owners.
DuPont has a rich history of scientific discovery that has enabled countless innovations and today, we're looking for more people, in more places, to collaborate with us to make life the best that it can be. Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc. is the world leader in plant biotechnology,
including the discovery, development and delivery of elite crop genetics.
We are currently seeking a Senior Software Developer in Hayward, CA or Johnston, IA for our cross-functional agile software development teams within our Computation Genomics and Bioinformatics Systems group.
The Senior Software Developer will work within agile software development teams to create and enhance software based on business-driven requirements. The successful candidate will work closely with software architects, test engineers and product owners to: implement rich multitier web solutions that are aligned with and extend shared platforms and solutions; review user stories to determine technical dependencies, estimate relative effort required, and ensure consistency across applications.
The candidate will also research and identify patterns, tool kits and services that support well designed service oriented architecture on all of Pioneer's internal software as well as work with various software teams to support adoption of these tools and services. Communication and team work are key elements of this role; excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
• Enable a robust and scalable end-to-end working scientific pipeline, and work with customers and other bioinformatics teams to provide custom analytical solutions.
• Provide and promote software engineering best practices and standards.
• Work closely with R&D to understand process workflows, bioinformatics pipeline, and integrations in order to deliver production grade informatics solutions.
• Build beautiful applications and interfaces for biologists to explore high dimensional data
• Deploy and support applications on high performance computing clusters
• Integrate front-end GUIs with back-end databases, APIs, and other computational frameworks
• Provide accurate scoping and estimation of scientific development efforts for projects based on product requirements and a solid grasp of the relevant informatics tools
• Ability to properly allocate development resources to staff projects
• Collaborate with Core Team Leaders, Software Engineers, Bioinformaticians, Project Managers, and other group members to fully define and implement innovative new products and services.
• Ensure that projects are developed in accordance to regulatory standards and departmental SOPs.
• Experience using established engineering methodologies through all stages of the software development lifecycle (SDLC)
• Bioinformatics design, implementation, and support for sequence analysis pipelines.
• Develop new tools to aid in the analysis of genomics annotation and interpretation.
• Build and maintain a knowledge base for the discovery of novel variations and association with phenotypes.
• Provide rapid and responsive bioinformatics support to genome sequencing analysis pipelines.
• Familiar with Biostatistics and hypothesis testing problems.
• International travel required.
Education & Experience:
The position requires a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or related field, and 5-10 years experience in bioinformatics software integration, computational genomics, scientific computing algorithms and tools, preferably in agile projects. Proven experience developing multi-tier web/web service based applications is required, and experience with Python, Flask, AngularJS, and ASP.NET is preferred. Experience working with agile development methodology is a strong plus. Also, candidate should have an interest in biology, genetics, or science in general and the ability to understand complex problems.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in bioinformatics software development and custom analysis, with demonstrated ability to deliver high quality products on time.
• Experience developing and optimizing tools and workflows around sequence data.
• Expertise in object-oriented languages (i.e. Python, Perl, C#), and mathematics software (i.e. R, Matlab, Mathematica, etc.)
• Experience with Python required, Django/Flask is a plus
• Experiences with AngularJS, TypeScript, and visualization libraries like d3.js
• Data management and data extraction skills; familiarity with data science toolkits such as Spark, Hadoop.
• Experience with a Linux/Unix development environment.
• Object-orient programming with Java/C a plus
• Proven skill in an object-oriented language, C#, Python, preferred or Java, C
• Familiarity with high performance computing and computing clusters
• Proven experience working with relational databases and experience in data modeling and ORM.
• Proven experience working on teams using agile software development methodologies and processes.
• Understanding of Service Oriented Architecture (SOA)
• Ability to demonstrate solid analytical skills and exceptional attention to detail.
• Proven ability to lead software development projects in an agile team framework.
• Track record of delivering software results for time-sensitive projects
• Familiarity with bioinformatics workflows and online databases and web servers such as the UCSC genome browser, and Jbrowse
• Familiarity with build tools (grunt/gulp/npm, team city, Visual Studio preferred)
• Ability to interpret biological data using visualization tools, such as genome browsers.
• Track record of delivering bioinformatics analytical results for time-sensitive projects