Scotiabank (Toronto): Data Scientist
Work with business lines and stakeholders to find opportunities to drive business value by leveraging Data Science and Big Data. Deploy models and algorithms in production, across different channels and customer platforms.
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become financially better off.
A Best Workplace
Scotiabank is a premier financial institution and Canada’s most international bank recognized as a Best Workplace®, in Canada, Mexico, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Panama, Peru, Chile and Latin America by the Great Place to Work® Institute.
A multinational winning team
Scotiabank is Canada’s international bank and a leading financial services provider in North America, Latin America, the Caribbean and Central America, and parts of Asia. We are dedicated to helping our 21 million customers become better off through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management, corporate and investment banking.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Scotiabank helps to build bright futures worldwide through ethical banking practices, environmental awareness and a commitment to communities.
By working together, we build strong relationships and create value for our customers. Scotiabank’s Information Technology and Solutions provides global technology solutions support to each of our core businesses - Domestic Banking, International Banking, Global Banking & Markets, and Global Wealth & Insurance. Our technology-based solutions enable Scotiabank to achieve sustained profitable growth and a competitive advantage.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with business lines and other stakeholders and identify opportunities to drive business value by leveraging Data Science
- Ingest massive volumes of structured and unstructured format data, model, transform and store it in variety of data stores
- Leverage distributed computing tools (e.g. Spark, Hadoop) for analysis, data mining and modeling
- Collaborate with Data engineering and operational teams to deploy models and algorithms in production, across different channels and customer platforms
- Create and apply model and algorithm testing strategies to measure conduct multi-variate testing and A/B testing to measure effectiveness of models and make ongoing changes
- Prepare detailed documentation to outline data sources, models and algorithms used and developed
- Present results to business line stakeholders and help implement real data-driven changes
Skills and Qualifications:
- University degree in relevant STEM disciplines (Mathematics, Computer Sciences, Electrical/Computer/Software Engineering)
- Experience cleaning, transforming and visualizing large data sets working with various data formats (e.g., XML, JSON, flat files)
- Hands-on experience with Big Data ecosystem tools (e.g., Hive, Pig, Sqoop, Spark) and experience with NoSQL databases (e.g., MongoDB, Hbase or CouchDB)
- Production experience with experimental design, statistical analysis, machine learning and predictive modeling (e.g., cross-sell, upsell, attrition, acquisition and lookalike models)
- Programming skills in Java, C++ or Python
- Experience with common machine Learning libraries in R, Python, Spark
- Experience with UNIX tools and shell scripting
- Solid SQL skills for querying relational databases (e.g., SQL Server, DB2, MySQL)
- Experience using and implementing visualization tools like D3, Tableau or Qlikview
- Experience with streaming (or real time) analytics and ingestion frameworks (Kafka, Flume, Storm, Flink, Samza)
- Expertise in Software Design (code efficiency, security, design patterns, system or web architecture)
- Expertise in one or more domain specific applications of Data Science:
- Natural language processing and text analytics
- Social media analytics
- Mobile and web analytics
- Speech processing
- Image and video Processing
- Fraud and risk analytics
- Demonstrated experience presenting complex technical ideas and finding to various audiences
Other Information: job code: dataanalytics
Scotiabank is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.