ntent: Senior Software Engineer, Python
Seeking a Senior Software Engineer, Python, to provide code support for an in-house ontology engineering and knowledge acquisition infrastructure, and to work closely with, and support, ontologists and linguists.
Work Authorization: NTENT requires applicants to have work authorization for the US valid for at least 18 months for US based positions.
We are a dynamic company looking for our next great hire to join our Research & Development center in Carlsbad (San Diego area), California.
NTENT embraces the fun, agility and innovation of a startup culture while enjoying the security of having technology already deployed with a large and rapidly growing customer base. This is a rare chance to take your career to the next level in one of today's hottest tech industries. We are looking for a talented Python Engineer to join our team and deliver world-class search technologies to mobile devices. You will be working with a smart team of linguists, ontologists and software developers on both full applications and tools that power NTENT’s powerful semantic search technology.
Our goals include building a compelling search experience for mobile devices and applying state of the art artificial intelligence approaches to understand natural language in order to deliver the best search engine in multiple languages for select markets. This is a unique opportunity to tackle complex problems usually reserved for a handful of large companies in the search industry.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide code support for an in-house ontology engineering and knowledge acquisition infrastructure
- Work closely with ontology and QA teams to ensure efficient and sufficient acquisition of knowledge in high-priority areas
- Work closely with ontologists and linguists to support representation, reasoning, querying, validation checks and tests within ontological and linguistic resources maintained by the company
- Explore and propose methodologies, strategies, standards, techniques and tools to further streamline knowledge acquisition and ontology engineering tasks.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree with 6 + years of experience, M.S. or PhD degree
- Strong Experience in Python language, tools, and idioms
- Fluent in the English language
- 3 or more years designing, implementing and testing ontology/knowledge engineering tools and technologies
- Knowledge of methodologies, technologies and standards of knowledge acquisition, integration and testing
- Hands-on knowledge of open-source and commercial ontology editors
- In-depth knowledge of open-source and commercial structured sources like DBPedia, Wikidata, FreeBase, Kinopoisk, MusicBrainz, etc.
- Practical experience with Semantic Web infrastructure, languages, tools and standards (RDF, SPARQL, etc.).
- Ability to trade, reuse solutions of, or implement, appropriate software architectures
- Strong understanding of object-oriented design and development
- Experience designing and developing HTTP APIs
- Firm grasp on Web principals and the architecture of the WWW
- Practical experience with Semantic Web standards, tools, and platforms
- Skilled in text processing and knowledge representation
- Knowledge of Web scraping frameworks and etiquette
- Comfortable working in the GNU/Linux operating system
- Experience with relational and NoSQL database technologies
The following experience is a plus:
- Familiarity with Cyc and/or ontology engineering methodologies like OntoClean
- Experience working with linguists and/or in natural language processing projects
- Experience with machine learning and spreading activation
- Experience with functional programming is a plus
- Familiarity with/knowledge of Russian or Kazakh
- Knowledge of a second language
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, possess excellent communication skills (both oral and written) and be able to work independently. A keen interest in various aspects of language processing is essential in our multi-disciplinary team.
We offer a full comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision. Employees receive a generous time off (PTO) plan and 13 holidays per year. We also offer 401(k) benefits, long term disability benefits and life insurance.