LLNL: Associate Director for Computation
Seeking an Associate Director for Computation, with expertise in computer science, data science, HPC, or mathematics, and experience leading and managing a large development organization.
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
LLNL is seeking an experienced, dynamic leader to inspire and lead The Computation Directorate. The Associate Director (AD) of Computation is key to the continued success of LLNL's world-premiere, high performance (HPC) computing, computer science, and data science enterprise. The AD is responsible for the leadership of an organization of approximately 1,000 staff who develop and deploy an integrated computing environment for advanced simulation of complex physical phenomena in support of LLNL's national security missions.
Today, given the direction of key advances in the technological marketplace, there is a singular opportunity to leverage the disciplines of data science and simulation to create something new and transformative. Such a strategy would maintain LLNL's preeminence in the use of HPC for mission and discovery. The AD, working with discipline and program counterparts at the laboratory, will oversee such an effort to increase LLNL's relevance and value to the nation in a climate of tight federal budgets and increasing national security challenges.
- Advanced degree in computer science, mathematics, or a related field or the equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge and experience.
- Experience leading and managing a large, mission-oriented, research and development organization.
- Recognized expertise in computer science, data science, high performance computing, or mathematics.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication, facilitation, collaboration, and problem-solving skills necessary to direct and represent the organization, lead innovative research, build cooperative multidisciplinary teams, and interact with management and customers/sponsors.
- Experience with performance, budget and salary management.