Fitbit: Sr Data Scientist, FitStar
We design health and fitness products and experiences that fit seamlessly into everyday life to help millions of people achieve their goals. We provide the workouts, insights and encouragement to make smart choices to show how small, everyday changes add up to big results.
Who are we?
WE are a passionate team creating a next-generation digital fitness platform and are on a mission to craft products that inspire millions of people to get fit and live healthier lives. Along with our new family at Fitbit, we design health and fitness products and experiences that fit seamlessly into everyday life to help millions of people achieve their goals. We provide the workouts, insights and encouragement to make smart choices to show how small, everyday changes add up to big results.
Who are you?
- You are a scientist: you apply statistical rigor to your analyses and check your results against a battery of tests (like the Common Sense test) before publishing.
- You are a statistician: you know which statistical test to apply in every situation, you know the best fit distribution curve, you know the
- meaning of p-values, and you wince whenever someone confuses correlation with causation.
- You are a deity: you imbue your applications with sentience via ML, and your chief disciples are Regression, Bayesian, Decision Tree, Clustering, et al.
- You are an artist: you create visually compelling reports and dashboards that make Edward Tufte weep. You are capable of forging complex charts if necessary, but understand the simple elegance with which a bar graph can communicate ideas.
- You are an economist: you have a nose for efficiency and the bottom line, and effectively keep at bay the haunting specter of analysis paralysis. You can distill complex analytical results to a few bullet points so people can walk away after five minutes with a good summary of your findings.
- You are a DIY black belt: you are unafraid to get your hands dirty and build a brand new data pipeline from scratch. You are able to quickly pick up new technologies and are willing to do what it takes to surface data to provide valuable insights.
- You are a grizzled veteran: you most likely have 3-5 years of experience as a data scientist in a dynamic environment, but if you don’t you make up for it with an unparalleled ability to educate yourself and actuate on this learning.
- You are an Olympian: you are fitness-oriented. You like to run, leap, climb, swim, etc. in some capacity in your spare time, and/or you have a fundamental understanding of why others like to run, leap, climb, swim, etc.
What will you do?
- Optimize FitStar’s workout curriculum algorithms that match users to exercise regimens based on historical/projected performance
- Develop novel means by which we can automate curriculum assignment to users
- Design A/B test experiments, analyze results for statistical relevance, and present findings/recommendations clearly and concisely
- Evangelize the use of data tools and best practices and ensure stakeholders’ analytic needs are being met
- Liaise with various groups within FitStar to provide ad hoc analyses as necessary; work with data analysts and data engineers to productionalize especially valuable insights for regular consumption
- Create, maintain, and update FitStar’s growing suite of reports and dashboards that service the analytic needs of various groups, including operations, product management, marketing, and engineering
- Highlight gaps in reporting and analytics infrastructure by creating new summary tables and updating/modifying existing ETL processes
Our rockstar Senior Data Scientist will have expertise in most (but preferably all) of these skills:
- Various Machine Learning methodologies
- Working knowledge of statistics and stats packages like R or Matlab
- A scripting language (Python, Ruby, etc.)
- SQL and working knowledge of relational databases
- Visualization tools (Tableau, Looker, MicroStrategy, etc.) and/or custom
- visualization scripting (D3, Highcharts, R Shiny, etc.)
- A/B testing experience and the ability to quantify results
- Self-starter able to make an impact with little guidance
- Top notch written and verbal communication skills
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.