Civis Analytics: Lead Data Engineer
Seeking a Lead Data Engineer, reporting to Director of Engineering provides technical, strategic and operational leadership to the organization, able build great products, with a particular focus on the data pipelines that support them.
Who We Are
Civis Analytics is a rapidly growing Chicago-based company building SaaS data science products to help organizations use data to drive and optimize their organizational decisions. We are proud to work on some of the world’s most meaningful data science challenges. If you are excited by data, excel at strategic thinking, and want to lead the team responsible for building and maintaining the data backbone of Civis Analytics, we’d love to talk to you.
While our history is rooted in political campaign targeting, we’re now partnering with intelligent organizations in healthcare, media, education, and a range of other domains.
We're solving the world's biggest problems with big data. Through research, experimentation, and iteration, we’re transforming how organizations do analytics. Our clients range in scale, industry and focus, all empowered by our individual-level, data-driven approach.
We are a community of of engineers, data scientists, and statisticians looking to add to our growing team. We are smart, fun, and a little bit weird. Does this sound like you?
The Lead Data Engineer, reporting to Director of Engineering provides technical, strategic and operational leadership to the organization. This is an experienced leader with a passion for building compelling customer experiences and a proven ability to grow and lead a team of talented engineers and data scientists through research, design, development, testing and launch of high-quality data-driven products.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for design, implementation and production support for data-driven products. You will execute with excellence, driving the team responsible for the realization of the product vision. You will help Civis Analytics build great products, with a particular focus on the data pipelines that support them.
We are looking for individuals from a wide range of backgrounds with demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. We value creativity, hard work and on-the- job-excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify their identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
- Master’s degree in statistics, machine learning, physics, computer science, or a Bachelor’s degree and outstanding work experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of modern statistical learning methods
- Experience using applied statistics or machine learning in a professional or other intensive problem-solving environment with large, complex datasets
- Expertise in statistical packages such as R or the Python scientific stack (NumPy, SciPy, scikit-learn, pandas)
- Experience programming in a Linux environment
- Experience identifying and correcting for problems in imperfect data
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- PhD in statistics or a comparable field
- Ability to expand upon modern statistical learning methods
- Significant work experience in statistical modeling or machine learning
- Experience with survey methodology
- High proficiency in programming with Python, Ruby, Java, or similar languages
- Experience with SQL databases
- Expert ability to identify and adapt to imperfect data
Top Stories Past 30 Days