Axa: Data Scientist
Axa is seeking a Data Scientist to be involved in scoping requirements for our analysis platform, and then using it to deliver a market leading pricing initiative, working on all areas of a data science project life cycle.
Company: AXA Insurance
Location: Cobham, UK
Position: Data Scientist
To apply and submit your task, please visit www.axa.co.uk/careers and do Advanced search for job reference AXAI405,
Apply at this link.
£40,000 - £55,000 (depending on skills and experience)
With a presence in 59 countries, and 160,000 employees serving the needs of 103 million customers, AXA is big. In fact, we’re the world’s number one insurance brand, and one of the Sunday Times Top 25 Best Big Companies to work for. But we’re not too big to care for – or listen to - everyone who works with us. You see, we value your ideas and your experience. We want you to continue to develop and grow, and we’ll offer you all the learning, development and progression opportunities you need for your professional skills and career to flourish.
The Pricing Innovation team are working to develop the analytical sophistication within Pricing by using machine learning techniques to solve pricing problems.
We’re embarking on a major project to deliver a new data and analysis platform to support the build, test and deployment of machine learning models into production systems. The initial use case will be within pricing, but there’s a clear intention to move machine learning into a position where the benefits can be realised in all business areas.
The team will look to bring data science methods into the mainstream within AXA, working with a variety of teams across the business and existing analytics functions to identify opportunities and create innovative solutions to problems.
The role will entail:
Scoping requirements for our analysis platform, and then using it to deliver a market leading pricing initiative.
You'll work on all areas of a data science project life cycle, including:
- Determining business requirements / project scoping / ideas generation
- Data gathering
- Data manipulation / cleaning / feature engineering
- Model building and evaluation of impact
- Value realisation / Implementation
You'll work closely with a range of teams across the business including pricing teams, commercial teams, database administrators, architecture and rating engine teams.
Who are we looking for?
We're looking for someone with a great combination of technical and communication skills, who can provide valuable input to the scoping and future scaling of our new platform.
- Commercial experience in a relevant role or an MSc or PhD in a relevant technical
- Excellent analysis and modelling skills in R or Python
- Great communication skills with the ability to contextualise topics appropriately for the target audience
- Ability to structure problems
- Ability to mentor members of the team in technical areas
- Natural curiosity and a passion for using data to solve problems
- Experience with the full project life cycle, from ideas generation to implementation
- Experience with big data technologies e.g. Hadoop, Spark
- Analysis and modelling experience in any other languages
- Experience using H2O
- Experience with data visualisation tools
- C# programming ability
Here's a challenge for you!
We would like to give you the opportunity to show off your skills by completing a short modelling task, to be completed in either R or Python. Instructions below:
- Download the Poker Hand data from the UCI Machine Learning repository;
- Use the training data to build a predictive model
- Produce predictions for the test data and evaluate your model
- Submit your code (no data or models) along with your CV
Don’t worry too much about building the perfect model at this stage – we are more interested in your approach to the task.
Your code submission should allow us to see how you've built your model and allow us to reproduce your model predictions for the test data. We want to see anything you think showcases your skills and allows us to recreate and evaluate your predictions with a metric of your choice.
A run-through of your approach will form a part of the interview process.
Please note that we can only accept your application with the completed challenge, in either R or Python. Otherwise your application will not be considered.
What we offer
As you’d expect from a global leader, our reward package is a world-beater – here’s a small selection of our current benefits.
- Bonus Scheme linked to yours and the company’s performance
- Pension scheme with employer contributions as well as your own
- Life Assurance (10 x basic salary)
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 28 with service. Plus Bank Holidays.
- Interest free season ticket loan scheme
- Flexible benefit options, including pension and life cover flexing, holiday purchase, benefit car, childcare vouchers, health, dental and critical illness plans and bikes4work.
- Share Plan Scheme
- Discount on all AXA Insurance products, including insurance, breakdown cover & healthcare
To apply and submit your task, please visit www.axa.co.uk/careers and search under job reference AXAI405. Closing date for applications is 3 August 2016.