Microsoft: Principal Data Scientist
Microsoft is seeking intelligent people to dive into data, make sense of it, and leverage data to solve large-scale problems Microsoft’s products.
The Experimentation Team at Microsoft needs intelligent people to dive into data, make sense of it, and leverage data to solve large-scale problems Microsoft’s products.
What you will do:
- Maintain and work with our data pipeline that transfers and processes terabytes of data using tools like Spark, Scala, Python, Apache Kafka, Pig/Hive & Impala.
- Work directly with application teams (such as Xbox, Skype for Business, Microsoft Office 365) to understand their domain and get them successful with data so they can run controlled experiments (A/B testing).
- Design, build and support pipelines of data transformation, conversion, validation
- Build data manipulation, processing, and data visualization tools and share these tools across the team, ASG, and Microsoft.
- Leverage your statistical and computational knowledge to build algorithms for calculating variances.
- Apply data analysis, data mining and data engineering to present data clearly and develop experiments (A/B testing)
- Ensure high-quality data and understand how data is generated out of experimental designs and how these experiments produce actionable, trustworthy conclusions.
- Work with development teams to build tools for data logging and repeatable data tasks that will accelerate and automate data scientist duties.
- 5+ years of experience working with large data sets or doing large scale quantitative analysis
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics or other technical field. PhD preferred.
- Expert SQL scripting required.
- Development experience in one of the following: Scala, Java, Python, Perl, PHP, C++ or C#.
- Experience working with Hadoop, Pig/Hive, Spark, MapReduce
- Understanding of statistics – hypothesis testing, p-values, confidence intervals, regression, classification, and optimization are core lingo.
- Strong algorithmic problem-solving skills.
- Experience manipulating large data sets through statistical software (ex. R, SAS) or other methods
- Superior communication skills to educate and work with cross functional teams on controlled experiments.
- Experimentation design or A/B testing experience is preferred.
Top Stories Past 30 Days