ABB: Research Scientist – Data Analytics
Seeking a highly qualified scientist / engineer in the field of data analytics and software applications, to work on the fascinating boundary of research, development and application within a team of highly motivated scientists.
You are an expert in data analytics and software technologies? You have experience in interacting with industrial data and want to apply your knowledge in a challenging and fascinating environment? Then join our team of highly motivated researchers to develop the foundations for the next generation of ABB digital offering.
We are looking for a highly qualified scientist / engineer in the field of data analytics and software applications.
You will work on the fascinating boundary of research, development and application within a team of highly motivated scientists. As a member of our research group your work covers everything from idea creation and problem definition over data exploration, via technology and model development to prototypical implementation. Your work enables new ways of running, maintaining and connecting industrial assets, using IT. Your technical and cross-cultural communicational skills will be required to establish the link between internal research, external research, and ABB's international business units.
You will work in applied research projects which develop innovative data analytics and software solutions. This includes the digitization of manufacturing and process technologies with cyber-physical systems and sensor networks.
Tasks include all industry aspects of data analytics and IoT such as:
- Requirements gathering and development of value-adding use cases for data-driven solutions and applications in tight cooperation with ABB’s business units and end customers
- Data curation, pre-processing, evaluation and analysis
- Development of data analytics models such as predictive models for industrial assets, by applying data mining and machine learning techniques. Development of prototypes and proof-of-concept demonstrators
- Communication of project results and complex solutions to expert and non-expert audiences
- Publishing of results, creation of IP and work in committees
You have an above average university degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or Physics. When you think of data science, you think of a process which requires the skills of a software engineer, an analyst and a user interface designer to come from data to communicated solution. Therefore, we expect practical working experience in the area of data analytics and software development projects – preferable in an industrial research and development environment. We expect you to have excellent cross-cultural written and oral communication skills as well as pronounced networking skills. Sound English skills (both oral and written) are mandatory to communicate with international partners and the academic community.
You specifically have a background in the following fields:
- Strong experience in data science with the focus on data mining, machine learning and applied statistics
- Excellent programming skills and software design knowledge using at least one programming language to bring data science from data to solution (e.g. C#, Java, Python, R, etc.)
- Knowledge of big data technologies for batch and stream processing (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, Flink, etc.), local and in the cloud
- Practical experience in information visualization
- Experience in doing agile software development in a team
ABB is able to offer you an interesting role within a highly motivated team with open communication structures. On the basis of a personal, practice-oriented induction program, you will be given the opportunity to acquire the confidence needed to work independently and self-reliantly within your assigned area. ABB is also able to provide a wealth of opportunity for personal development once you have completed your induction period, the aim being to assist you in attaining your career goals. Personalized development programs with targeted training measures will help you to enhance your skills continuously.
Would you like to have further information?
Please contact Dr. Martin Krüger: +49 (0) 6203 71 6310 or
HR Professional: Sabine Schedler: +49 (0) 621 381 3500