Scripps: Data Scientist
Seeking a data scientist to be a change agent - teasing out the questions that are important to our business, and then use statistical analysis and data mining techniques to inform the answers and communicate conclusions.
E.W. Scripps is a company rich in media history focused on the future. We are one of the nation's largest independent TV station owners, and we are working to stay ahead of the ways in which people use technology to find news and information. Our commitment to the future means that discovery is commonplace, the status quo is challenged, iteration and collaboration are the norm and new ideas are welcome. Join a team of top performers and help shape the future of the most strategic and well positioned media company – E. W. Scripps. This position will be located in Cincinnati, OH.
At Scripps, you’ll:
- Have a complete modern analytics software stack at your disposal.
- Need to spin up some VM’s? Done.
- Want unrestricted RDMS space? No problem.
- Hadoop instance? It’s ready.
- Need an API and dashboard to disseminate your results? That’s easy.
- Enjoy a broad scope of responsibility – with projects and questions from every part of the business and new businesses under consideration.
- Know that your work will have an impact on key strategic decisions – changing and shaping the way we do business. This is why we are so selective in our hiring process.
- Work with top talent both inside and outside of the company – from researchers and professors at top universities to leading experts in emerging technology.
- Grow your talent with constant learning – with substantial investments in on-site and hands-on training and eLearning formats used to fill in the gaps.
- Work on projects that are important and interesting to you – with quarterly Innovation Days throughout the year.
- Expand your horizons by attending and giving talks at conferences and professional networking opportunities with senior analytics professionals.
- Become a leading expert in applied analytics for media.
We are looking for someone who knows how to use the latest data analytics tools, will thrive in our fast-paced innovative environment, will deliver results and has the following experience and credentials.
The Data Scientist blends the skills of a business thinker with those of a data analyst: asking questions, turning data into knowledge, forming conclusions, and making recommendations that enable the company to innovate, differentiate itself from its competitors, work smarter, make better decisions, and enhance profitability. This individual will partner with the analytics team, analytics products and services director, business leaders and end users to be a change agent - teasing out the questions that are important to our business, and then use statistical analysis and data mining techniques to inform the answers and communicate conclusions both visually and in writing, along with recommendations and next steps. The Data Scientist will also participate in the creation and measurement of new business processes, tools, and products.
- Influence the course of the business as a trusted advisor to business leaders and users, using data and analytics as a basis for better, more informed decision making
- Creation of analytics and measurement roadmaps
- Identify impactful choices or courses of action that drive value for the organization
- Evaluate the big picture and solve business problems in addition to focusing on metrics
- Influence the direction of the business by effectively communicating conclusions to cross-functional groups
- Mine large amounts of data and perform data analysis to extract useful business insights for a wide range of topics including product development and performance, market dynamics, consumer and audience knowledge, internal operations, and external research
- Initial study design, acquisition of data, prototyping and production roll out
- Ongoing tracking, monitoring, and periodic follow-up studies
- Support the design and implement of reporting dashboards that track key business metrics and provide actionable insights
- Use software and other tools to develop analyses that identify patterns, influences, correlations, relationships, predictive factors, risk factors, and that provide better situational awareness
- Creation of models, simulations, and optimization routines
- Develop of data flows and acquisition strategies to facilitate the capture and sharing of data and analytics within the organization
- Support the development of Scripps analytics products and services by providing input into product roadmaps
- Be a positive force to cultivate a culture that is passionate about developing analytics as a business competency
- Drive accountability for value recognition and business results
- Create and contribute to a quality work environment that motivates team members to perform at their highest levels and positively affects employee and business partner relationships
- Be a publicly visible presence, including creating communications and leading training sessions, advocating for the benefits of analytics in Scripps and the products/services of the analytics team
Education / work experience:
- Bachelor's required, Masters preferred. Applied statistics, Computer Science, business analytics or a related field.
- Minimum 3 years, 5+ years preferred. Only years where you have experience in solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches apply to this requirement.
- Experience and demonstrated success presenting complex analyses and final recommendations to business leaders.
Statistical method experience:
- Analysis techniques such as scenario modeling, pattern detection, A/B testing, nearest neighbor, cluster analysis, sentiment analysis, decision trees, optimization, simulation, regression analysis, agent based modeling, ensemble models, collaborative filtering and other types of analysis
- R, RapidMiner, MySQL, other RDMS (e.g., MS SQL Server, etc), Python, Excel, graph databases and other tools for data mining
- Big data platform (Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Impala) experience preferred
- Tableau (both for data exploration and presentation)
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. Scripps is one of the nation’s largest independent TV station owners, with 33 television stations in 24 markets and a reach of nearly one in five U.S. households. It also owns 34 radio stations in eight markets. Scripps also runs an expanding collection of local and national digital journalism and information businesses, including podcast industry leader Midroll Media and over-the-top video news service Newsy. Scripps also produces television shows including “THE LIST” and ”The Now,” runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and serves as the long-time steward of the nation’s largest, most successful and longest-running educational program, the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.” If you are interested in this position, please apply online at www.scripps.com for requisition #12485.
Top Stories Past 30 Days