Aetna: Principal Data Scientist
Seeking a Principal Data Scientist to provide strategic leadership for the development, validation and delivery of algorithms, statistical models and reporting tools, and to act as the analytic team lead for highly complex projects.
Working At Aetna -- the Value To You
What does it mean to work at Aetna? A lot. From programs and benefits that support your financial, physical and emotional health to opportunities to build your knowledge and expand your career, the company makes working here a valuable experience in many ways.
Aetna's Data Science team is focused on delivering strategically-impactful products to our internal customers, by building analytically-based solutions that integrate a wide range of internal and external large datasets within a cutting-edge Hadoop parallel-processing environment. We are currently seeking a Principal Data Scientist in our Hartford, CT, Wellesley, MA or New York, NY location.
This position will be responsible for leveraging advanced statistical predictive modeling to evaluate scenarios and make predictions on future outcomes. Analyzes very large data sets in real time databases and develops and implements mathematical approaches.
This is a unique opportunity to develop new approaches leveraging the latest cutting-edge 'big data' technologies. The successful candidate will provide strategic leadership for the development, validation and delivery of algorithms, statistical models and reporting tools. Acts as the analytic team lead for highly complex projects involving multiple resources and tasks, providing individual mentoring in support of company objectives.
- Leads development and execution of new and/or highly complex algorithms and statistical predictive models and determines analytical approaches and modeling techniques to evaluate potential future outcomes.
- Establishes analytical rigor and statistical methods to analyze large amounts of data, using advanced statistical techniques and mathematical analyses. Methods will be implemented in Hadoop and R using advanced technologies.
- Manage highly complex analytical projects from data exploration, model building, performance evaluation & testing.
Applies in-depth knowledge of systems and products to consult and advise on additional efforts across organization/enterprise
- Motivates team members and probes into technical details, and mentors others to do the same.
- Provides thought leadership and direction for analytic solutions, tools and studies.
- Anticipates and solves strategic and high risk business problems with broad impact on the business area by applying leading-edge theories and techniques to investigate problems, detect patterns and recommend solutions.
- Provides guidance to develop enterprise-wide analytics strategy and roadmap.
- Interacts with internal and external peers and management to share highly complex information/solutions related to areas of expertise and/or to gain acceptance of new or enhanced technology/ business solutions.
- 8 - 10+ years of progressively complex related experience.
- Technical background with modeling and programming.
- Experience in SAS or SQL or other programming languages.
- Advanced in-depth specialization in mathematical analysis methods, predictive modeling, statistical analyses, machine learning, and big data technologies such as Python, R, and Hadoop.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical ideas and results to non-technical clients in written and verbal form.
- Comprehensive knowledge on health care industry, products, systems, business strategies and products and experience in healthcare industry is preferred.
- Strong organizational, management and leadership skills.
- Master’s degree; Ph.D. strongly preferred.
Additional Job Information:
Aetna continues to build a world-class Data Science organization to capture data, understand context, generate insights and react in real time. We engage our business partners, providing solutions to improve the consumer experience, increase efficiencies, and optimize health outcomes for our members through leveraging cutting edge technology.
Aetna is about more than just doing a job. This is our opportunity to re-shape healthcare for America and across the globe. We are developing solutions to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare. What we do will benefit generations to come.
We care about each other, our customers and our communities. We are inspired to make a difference, and we are committed to integrity and excellence. Together we will empower people to live healthier lives.
Aetna is an equal opportunity & affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of personal characteristics or status. We take affirmative action to recruit, select and develop women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
We are a company built on excellence. We have a culture that values growth, achievement and diversity and a workplace where your voice can be heard.
How to apply:
Please use the "Apply" link to apply to this position. If you cannot view this link, you can find this position on our website by visiting: www.aetna.com/working, click on apply online, search openings, and enter 39251BR in the keyword field. Additional information on what its like to work for Aetna and more can also be found on our website.
We value leadership, creativity and initiative. If you share those values and a commitment to excellence and innovation, consider a career with Aetna.
Aetna does not permit the use of tobacco related products or drugs in the workplace. Aetna is an EO/AA Employer-Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disability.
No search firms please.
You will not be asked for personal information until you have been fully evaluated through Aetna's screening processes. Aetna will never ask applicants for money. If you want to verify the identity of someone who contacts you from Aetna, call 1-800-AETNAHR (1-800-238-6247).